Page 32 of 72 FirstFirst ... 122227282930313233343536374252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Yeah, I had a quick go -- cute game. Can't wait to give a proper go.

Yesterday I checked out the 8th Doctor's 1st, and up until recently, last appearance via ABCiview - I really enjoyed it and can't see what all the negative fuss was about beyond, typically, general American audiences not grasping a concept that isn't... well... American.

It was interesting seeing an American "The Master" and a rather more "Manor"-esque appearance of the T.A.R.D.I.S. - I think the only thing I disliked was the somewhat overt pushing of the hard-line that Timelords have a maximum of 13 regenerations (Lives), beyond that, it's a real tragedy that this iteration was only permitted to have a single movie-length pilot episode.

Paul Mcgann is/was a REALLY good Doctor.

I think the plot device of him being half-human was what had fans having trouble accepting it as part of DrWho canon... to the point of having fan-writers of the recent seasons go to some length to make it impossible for Timelords to be half human (eg... Donna Noble).
    I'm in the minority, who thinks that it would have been interesting to have him be a half-breed like Spock, and explore his human side & family now that he's the only Timelord (currently). But now that it has been retconned to have him be fully Timelord, that's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I think the plot device of him being half-human was what had fans having trouble accepting it as part of DrWho canon... to the point of having fan-writers of the recent seasons go to some length to make it impossible for Timelords to be half human (eg... Donna Noble).
    I'm in the minority, who thinks that it would have been interesting to have him be a half-breed like Spock, and explore his human side & family now that he's the only Timelord (currently). But now that it has been retconned to have him be fully Timelord, that's not going to happen.
    I'd almost completely forgotten that point! - It did seem a little odd and even a little late in the piece to reveal such a thing (30 years late! ), it might've been an interesting path to travel (ala Spock ) but I think I too prefer the Doctor to be 100% Time Lord... He's human enough in personality to not really require sharing our biology.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Yesterday I checked out the 8th Doctor's 1st, and up until recently, last appearance via ABCiview - I really enjoyed it and can't see what all the negative fuss was about beyond, typically, general American audiences not grasping a concept that isn't... well... American.
    ?? What did Americans hate about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    ?? What did Americans hate about it?
    It's not so much that they "hated" anything, more so that at the time they just didn't "get" what Doctor Who was/is - That feeling has changed a great deal since 2005 however.

As well as the half human thing, I think I've read that the Doctor kissing his companion, romantically, was also outrageous to the UK fans who didn't lie the Americans trying to make the Doctor into a typical US-style scifi hero.

I remember watching it at the time, as a scifi fan not a Doctor Who fan, and thinking it was okay but nothing special. It wasn't until the Davies reboot that I became a fan.

The Last Day - another mini webisode.
    I also managed to clock the Google game in 9 min w/ 6 Doctors. I'm sure others could do better, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much of a gamer (anyone who's seen me get pwned on Fall of Cybertron can attest to this )

ABCiview has just posted their "Doctor Who: Viewer's Choice" episodes, comprising the most popularly voted Doctor & Story:

Doctor Who: The Robots of Death (The 4th Doctor: Tom Baker)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The Last Day - another mini webisode.
    I also managed to clock the Google game in 9 min w/ 6 Doctors. I'm sure others could do better, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much of a gamer (anyone who's seen me get pwned on Fall of Cybertron can attest to this )
    Under 3mins has been my best