Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Alt Mode and Best Robot Mode in Your Collection

Default Best Alt Mode and Best Robot Mode in Your Collection

So what's the best alt mode in your collection? What robot mode really tickles your fancy? Multiple answers are allowed because some people would have such massive collections just choosing one would be tricky!

For me, my fave alt modes are a VERY close tie between TR Topspin and TR Triggerhappy followed by TR Skullsmasher. Triggerhappy I only just acquired, but my GOD what a sexy spaceship he is. I couldn't stop staring at it for ages. I think the distinctive blue with the white highlights just makes it visually pop. Topspin was always a fave too. Skully's just really FUN, I love posing his crocodile form and with his opening mouth have him chew on a hapless smaller Autobot

Robot modes has to be God Ginrai. Despite the backpack heaviness he just LOOKS solid and badass. T30 Springer and CW Magnus are close seconds. Springer due to my IDW Wreckers love, and Magnus again due to his closeness in his IDW design.

Best Robot Mode

TLK Voyager Megatron - Looks like some kind of hellish cross between an Uruk-hai and a Transformer. Decently poseable, sturdy, and with a characterful headsculplt.

HFTD Leader Starscream - My favourite figure ever. The only representation of this figure that has fully nailed articulation, integrated weapons, and abundant paint.

ROTF Nest Alliance Deluxe Brawn - It looks like a dangerous alien killer robot. Armour plated, shouder cannon, dual pistols and a vicious headsculpt. An underrated figure.

ROTF Nest Alliance Voyager Bludgeon - The CHUG Bludgeon that you never knew you wanted.

Generations Thrilling 30 Voyager Springer - One of the nicest bot modes, ever. I've seen a lot of comments about how this figure is too lanky, but I think it absolutely nails the lean athletic look. The poseability in the arms makes interacting with the weapons a joy.

Best Alt Mode

Studio Series Leader Blackout - Some combination between sheer size and the decade + wait for a leader class Blackout makes this all the sweeter.

Titans Return Deluxe Triggerhappy - I'm so taken with the idea of a headmaster starfighter. It looks like something from Star Wars in all the best ways, and the fact that it has a fully functional cockpit for Blowpipe to sit in caps it off.

ROTF Deluxe Dead End - Yes, an otherwise uninteresting repaint, but the super glossy black and red faux Audi alt mode is certainly eyecatching.

Titans Return Wolfwire - As a casual fan of Zoids, I enjoy the alt mode on this figure quite a lot. It's a shame about the canopy cracking defect, because for the era it was released in this is an otherwise excellent figure.

Miscellanous love for Bayverse figures based on fighter aircraft that don't have massive underbellies of kibble and don't just amount to a jet backpack with a folded robot underneath - ROTF Deluxe Dirge, HFTD Deluxe Terradive, ROTF Voyager Mindwipe. All from a time where the line had more refined engineering.

NB - I'm not a big Masterpiece guy, so you I've not really got a lot of stuff to put in from that line.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I concur with Bludgeon actually but his head always bugged me as did his floppy plastic sword. But after Headrobots Blood was released the figure is DEFINITELY 100% complete now.

This is a harder question than I thought it would be! Thinking of my most recent additions to my collection:

Best Robot Mode: Takara Legends Blurr
    Best Alt Mode: Studio Series Blackout

Excluding Masterpieces

Best Robot Mode: Universe Wreck Gar, LG Kup, POTP Battletrap, Prime Starscream
    Best Alt Mode: Universe Wreck Gar, Universe Lugnut, Cybertron Jetfire, Classics Megatron (Nerf)

FatalityPitt Guest

That's a good question. My favourites change all the time. As at right now, my favourites are:

Favourite 'bot modes:

PotP Optimus Prime - It looks like MP Optimus Prime without the $200+ price tag, and being able to look like a well-proportioned and heroic-looking OP while accommodating the Evolution gimmick is quite amazing.

Generations Thundercracker/Dirge/Thrust - The best G1 Seeker mould ever! Robot modes are well-proportioned and accurate to the animation models. Best part, there's no cheating in the transformation and the cockpit kibble on the chest really turns into the jet cockpit.

Favourite Alt-modes:

TR Skullsmasher/Krok - I'm a big fan of beast modes, especially those released in the Prime Wars Trilogy. The neck and jaw articulation are simple features, but they add so much character to the figure. You can do some really dramatic poses and expressions that you can't do with a vehicle mode. With Skullsmasher/Krok; you can have a relaxed looking-crocodile when you close the mouth, you can have an angry/growling crocodile when you open the mouth wide and tilt the head looking up, or you could have a confused crocodile by rotating the head sideways and leaving the mouth slightly ajar. Some of these expressions can be quite funny.

PotP Sinnertwin - Similar reasons as Skullsmasher/Krok above, but I also like alt-modes that are interesting and unusual. There's nothing quite as unique and weird as a Transformer that turns into a two-headed dog.

Generations/TR Cosmos - It's a very simple-looking alt-mode, but I find it amazing that a well-proportioned robot mode could transform (and almost shrink) into a small, flat, predominantly disk-shaped object. There's almost no kibble in either mode (unless you count the thrusters on the robot's back). I guess I'm really more gushing over the transformation than the actual alt-mode.

Those are my favourites, I'm sure it'll change tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    Excluding Masterpieces

Best Robot Mode: Universe Wreck Gar, LG Kup, POTP Battletrap, Prime Starscream
    Best Alt Mode: Universe Wreck Gar, Universe Lugnut, Cybertron Jetfire, Classics Megatron (Nerf)
    How could I forget TFPrime First Edition Screamer! Absolute classic.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

These are really tough questions...

Yeah, I've gotta give it to Bludgeon-with-upgrade-kit for best 'bot mode too. MP Soundwave would be a really close second.
    I'm also really find of Animated Jazz for some reason. It's just a classic hood-as-chest Autobot car, but it just works somehow. Same thing for RotF Recon Ironhide.
    Totally agree with NEST Deluxe Brawn being really underrated btw. Voyager Mindwipe deserves an honorable mention too.

Best alt-mode? That's tough too...I'm not sure about 'best' exactly, but BW Transmetal 2 Megatron is definitely my favourite.
    Unless we're counting 3rd Party, and then it's MMC Anarchus all the way, because an electric chair Transformer with empty, dead eyes is freaking cool...

Despite the robot underneath i cannot look past rotf Jetfire for alt-mode. Its huge size is so fitting for that beautiful SR-71. One of the few robots i display in alt mode, even over his deadbody superarmour optimus mode.

So many robot shapes i enjoy.. chug Cyclonus has a great lean aesthetic they could have built a series around. Magmatron screams 1980s villian. More to come.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Best Robot Mode: MP10 Convoy; looks good, loads of features and heaps of fun to play with

Best Alt Mode: Alternity Bumblebee
    As I said in my Cybertron Collectors video, one thing that I find endearing about G1 Bumblebee is the unassuming alt mode that epitomises being a robot in disguise. Flashy sports cars and race cars are more eye-catching and less useful as disguise modes since they're more likely to draw attention.

A little yellow Suzuki Swift works really well, as these are cars that I commonly see on streets. And yeah, it's not a unique thing - there are plenty of other Transformers out there with unassuming alt modes that work well as disguises too (including most BTs and Alternities). Even in early G1 we had toys like Trailbreaker, Hoist, Ironhide, Bluestreak, Hound etc.; all vehicles that wouldn't look out of place parked on a residential street or in a car park. I really like Bumblejumper too - the good ol' Mazda 323! Heck, this morning I saw a Ford Mustang GT drive past me and I immediately thought of BT Grimlock/Wheeljack.

As far as beast modes are concerned, my favourite would be K-9. A German shepherd dog would easily blend in with human society (and pre-cartoon BW canon was meant to be set in the modern day!). Insect and arachnid modes are also pretty cool if they can mass-shrink down to the size of actual bugs, as the G1 Insecticons did in the Marvel comics (and same with ROTF Insecticon). This allows them to infiltrate practically anywhere. And the Autobot Pretenders in Japanese G1 also worked well as they could mass shrink down to human size and walk around wearing human clothes. Seriously, being able to disguise yourself as a human is pretty damn handy on Earth. Although technically these are shells, not alt modes -- but ROTF's Pretender Alice had a human alt mode (although her transformation and robot mode were bollocks). It's weird how Anglophone G1 continuity never tried mass-shrinking the Pretenders and so their disguises only worked once against some very naive/stupid Decepticons, and after that only on off-world locations inhabited by giant human-like aliens (e.g. Femax, Pz'Zazz, VsQs etc.).