Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BotCon 2016 date and location announced

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Are fans displeased with FunPub?
    There are a lot more people willing to speak out against FunPub than for them these days, compared to five years ago, or any time before 2010 really.
    The handling of the credit card security breach was probably the turning point, prompting people to be more critical, making it more noticeable that FunPub were always pretty distant from the fandom, because none of their original staff were Transformers fans, and still aren't. Being more sporadic with news and contact (or even direct replies), has made them be seen as just a regular toy dealer business who just happens to have the license to the Transformers club and convention.

The Hartmans and 3H had a big presence in the fandom, and were embraced to the point of very few people had issues that they wouldn't give 3H the benefit of the doubt over. (at least while the Hartmans were involved, so not Glen's 2003/2004 conventions)

FunPub don't do damage control or try to make up for problems. They either blame the fans or ignore it completely.
    So now, after five years of problems and minimal or sporadic communication by FunPub to the fandom they are needing to make money from, is just extraordinary.
    The main assets left that still draw in fans are BotCon and their exclusive toys... both of which are suffering in recent years.

The stats don't lie, even if people dismiss criticism as just being a vocal minority... and the stats for BotCon have been showing an inability to sell out their preregistrations and at-show toys for the last few years, despite reducing the amounts of toys each year.
    The Movies are driving more and more people to Transformers, and yet the BotCon attendance and sales is not only plateauing, they are falling. The most successful Transformers Movie in terms of dollars, was in 2014, and yet 2014 and 2015 had a fall in success of BotCon pre-selling registration and at-show toys.
    Even though I felt that this year had a notable drop in attendees on site, FunPub would never reveal attendee numbers, so the amount of exclusives they have for sale and if they sell out, is the only objective statistic we can rely on.
    This site keeps track of the stats, showing that 2013 was the last time they had something sell out during it's initial sale period, and 2012 was the last time that they sold out their boxsets during the pre-registration period.
    And I think it is telling that this year's Subscription set of classic Gen1 characters (the Mayhem Attack Squad) was noted as not being able to outsell their first Subscription year which was their best year... when five years ago, these significant characters done as Classicverse toys in a unified set would have been like Punch/Counterpunch - everyone would be wanting them.

Cheers for the in-depth reply, Griff. It doesn't bode well.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Are fans displeased with FunPub?
    Cheers for the in-depth reply, Griff. It doesn't bode well.
    huh, and I thought you were being sarcastic in your first post

Griffins appraisel is pretty much on the money for me. two years ago I was still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

this new subscription service though just doesn't interest me. If I didn't already have 5 aircraft with almost identical transformations, I might be more interested but the semi-necessary repetitiveness of the combiner wars toys just doesn't excite me past getting the original combiner teams.
    that and the current state of the dollar makes me uninterested in this set.
    that and the timing of Botcon against my 7 year anniversary and the fact that beast wars just doesn't cause a tingle like other toy lines does for me make Botcon less attractive this coming year.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    huh, and I thought you were being sarcastic in your first post

Griffins appraisel is pretty much on the money for me. two years ago I was still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

this new subscription service though just doesn't interest me. If I didn't already have 5 aircraft with almost identical transformations, I might be more interested but the semi-necessary repetitiveness of the combiner wars toys just doesn't excite me past getting the original combiner teams.
    that and the current state of the dollar makes me uninterested in this set.
    that and the timing of Botcon against my 7 year anniversary and the fact that beast wars just doesn't cause a tingle like other toy lines does for me make Botcon less attractive this coming year.
    No, I was genuinely curious, and gloriously unaware of the problems. I've never been to a BotCon and have never entertained the thought of going to one, so when BotCon news rolls around, I read it with a general disinterest (when really, as a fan of some 19 years, I should be their target market). I was unaware of the background goings on.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

A third Voice Actor guest has been announced - Scott McNeil (voice of Silverbolt, Rattrap, Dinobot, Waspinator).
    That's three Beast Wars voice actors, who make up half of the first (10) characters introduced in the first episodes of the cartoon.

Attending - Megatron, Waspinator, Dinobot, Rattrap, Tarantulas.
    Missing - Optimus Primal, Rhinox, Cheetor, Terrorsaur, Scorponok.

Considering the voice actor for Scoponok has never been a BotCon guest, I would have liked to have seen him be a guest this year... or the other three who haven't been guests either.
    Don Brown - Scorponok
    Colin Murdock - Quickstrike
    Lee Tockar - Ravage (would be very applicable due to the boxset toy)
    Carol Slavenkoff - Predacon Computer
    (unfortunately the voice for Rampage died a few years back, and he was never a guest either)

Scott must have been a late signing to have missed being included in the brochure that was only released a couple weeks ago.

Only five days left of November... and pre-registration was noted a few times to be starting in November. But that's not likely to happen, as we still have announcements of other minor guests and events, plus the image of the Predacus combiner, and any of the other merchandise or artwork that comes out before pre-registration.

Anyone else not fussed if registration doesnt happen for a while??

I can just scrape one botcon into the budget a year... still recovering from this years!!! and with xmas and all the family bdays in the next 2 months, i'm more than happy to wait!

I think if they get too much closer to christmas, it will impact on their pre-registrations. And if they decide to wait until after christmas... it probably won't make a difference, because they are already known to be reliably late on things.

It has almost been 2 months since the last reveal or event announcement... which loses momentum of the hype for the event.... and it took the cancellation of a Voice Actor guest to hear something new from FunPub.

Alec Willows (Tarantulas) will no longer be at BotCon this year, due to signing up to a new Stage Production role that will have him busy over the April period.
    To fill his "Beast Wars" position at the Transformers Convention, Venus Terzo (Blackarachnia) has been signed up... joining the other two Beast Wars Voice Actors - David Kaye and Scott McNeil.

This will be the third BotCon for Venus, who like Alec Willows, hasn't been a BotCon guest since way back in 2000. The first BotCon for Venus was 1997.

Cool that Venus is going, but at this rate of promotion and publicity there will be few fans to meet her!

If I was going I'd definitely take a MISB Takara Black widow for her to sign. I don't usually get stuff signed but I think that would be an exception.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)