Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RID cartoon possibly ending next year

Default RID cartoon possibly ending next year

Word from an Asian corporate event for TV licensing says that the Robots in Disguise cartoon will only have two seasons, and the second season will be shorter with only 16 episodes, plus a 3-part finale "movie" like TFPrime finished with.

That will result in 42 regular episodes, or 45 if the 3-part finale is split up for regular TV broadcasting.

What do people think?
    Will you miss it, or didn't have any interest in it to begin with and can't wait for a new show in a couple years time?

It seems strange that the series is only lasting two years, as this one seemed to be aimed at the younger demographic that are the primary recipient of Transformers toys... at least, compared to the darker, more serious/mature TFPrime cartoon.
    TFPrime wasn't really for the younger kids who are more likely to get toys as gifts, so I think it ended up missing the point of being a toyline cartoon, which is to market to your intended customers.
    The RID cartoon also had better TV coverage than TFPrime, here and in America, as we had the RID cartoon on free-TV at the same time as America, and America had it on a more mainstream channel, as the HUB channel had a significantly smaller number of subscribers than Cartoon Network.

For me, I'm disappointed that it is ending so soon because it will probably mean that we won't see too many more Decepticon toys (who are already light in numbers), as Hasbro would already be working on the next cartoon toyline... which might come out in 2018, as 2017 will have their marketing focused on the TF5 Movie toys.

I really think that it should have been given 3 seasons....

It will depend what they are replacing it with, if it is the Combiner Wars series then I would be happy.

I have enjoyed RID, but I think that I have got more enjoyment out of my kids watching and enjoying the series.

I like what RID was trying to do but I think the aesthetic of the cartoon let it down.

My kids like the show but they hate the animation. They'd rather watch G1 as they feel the animation is better (!!!)...
    They loved the Decepticon of the week; my son got the McDonalds Clampdown toy and has hardly put it down for the last 2 weeks. He loves mimicking Underbite which says to me he liked the characterisations.

So I think the tone of the show hit the right demographic but the presentation of the show and the lack of diversity in toys (ie not enough of the Decepticons) may have put people off.

The other problem my kids (especially my son) seemed to have is he didn't like Bumblebee being "leader". He wanted Optimus (that's probably my fault) or Rodimus or Ultra Magnus or Smokescreen (as was alluded to in TFP). He couldn't get his head around why Bumblebee was the leader... and he disliked Grimlock being green despite Grimlock being his favourite all-time Transformers character.

Admittedly since the Combiners Wars lines came out all my son wants is G1 because all his favourite toys are in that show and he LOVES he can have his big bad guys like Devastator and Menasor to re-enact the G1 episodes. So maybe Hasbro confused kids by having the 2 toy lines and only one show?

If they released a cartoon with imagery similar to the Devastation game my son would be all over it as he has been watching gameplay videos on youtube...

I'm not surprised it's a short series but hopefully the overall series comes to a good finish. I've still got the second half of season 1 to catch up on.

I thought RID was a pretty accessible and fun cartoon, with enough in it for adult fans to enjoy as well as the kids. The Decepticon designs have a lot of puns and silliness but were very creative.

Presumably there'll be some other attempt to tie in to TF5 and it will be interesting to see the other ventures (like the Combiner Wars cartoon) come along.

I find this news fairly disappointing.
    I am 75% of the way through the box set for season 1. I'm enjoying it, it is pretty light hearted and not as complex as TF: Prime but it's pretty well written and quite entertaining.
    I have slowed down watching the DVD's as I found I was pumping through them and I'd be left with nothing to watch if I didn't slow down.

It is a constant source of frustration that Transformers shows and other similar shows seem to constantly be cut short of their initial run expectations, not because the show is necessarily doing poorly but for some other non specific nondirect reason.

The art is different but I like it, the voice acting is exemplary and the writing is subtle enough to reference a lot from other worlds of the transformers.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I didn't find the end of season 1 particularly satisfying. If they have an ending planned out that makes sense I'll be happy.

When I read the article this morning I didn't post it here because it felt like TFW is taking pride in the fact it's ending and they are the one's reporting it.

Hasbro will certainly try to replace it, I just hope they don't do a TFCU tie in because I hate the Bayverse and their characterisation of many of the characters, not to mention killing beloved characters at the drop of a hat.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

I know it won't happen but I hope they continue the prime continuity with something else. Really needing a clone wars equalivent for transformers in my opinion where we just stick with the one show over a long period of time instead of changing every 2-3 seasons

I would be all for finishing RID15 and starting a new story in the continuity. Rid always seemed like it was just a filler for something else I mean they've essentially just recapture the prisoners and go home. And even then they had the fallen who they defeated already so what more could possibly go on after the mission is complete.

But it sounds like we're getting something new entirely, hope it's good and doesn't get ruined by some latter change of mind

If it does end I think it will -as others have already said- be replaced by something that will build on the current continuity.

I think what really let down season 1 was that Prime had an arc that mostly happened off screen and what was shown wasn't enough but maybe the show had been put on notice at that moment and the production team had to get things moving quickly.

I'm mostly disappointed by RiD, so I'm not that sad to see it go. The one thing I really did like about it was that Optimus Prime and Megatron are not the leaders in this show! That is by far the best thing about this series. I love that they didn't resort to bringing Megatron back, and Optimus was held off and even then, did not resume command. I would've preferred it if Optimus didn't return, but other than that, I really like this idea. I also find the idea of the Decepticons being reduced to directionless thugs to be an interesting one. Not so keen about it's execution though.

Overall, while there are a few things about this show that I like, there are a lot more that I don't. But I won't bore you all with a 500 word essay about it.