Default Toy Review - MP-17 Masterpiece Prowl

Toy Review - Prowl
    Series - Takara Masterpiece
    Sub-line - none
    Size/class - MP Car
    Wave - MP-17
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - No
    Approximate Retail Price - 6090Y - $50-70AU (depending on where and when you bought)
    Approximate Size - Dunno, havn't measured
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Datsun Fairlady 280ZX
    Main Features/Gimmicks - retractable dual shouder cannons
    Main Colours - Black/White
    Main Accessories - Gun

Stock images:

And mine so far:

I love this guy. If you were a fan of the Lambos then you will like this mould. Very similar level of complexity for the transformation but very different. Looks great in car mode but for me bot mode is where he really shines. He looks fantastic. Great head sculpt and overall silhouette. Posability is around the same as SS/RA/TT. You lose some in the hips but gain more in the ankles.

Bit of a downside is how visible the shoulder cannons are in car mode. And also the paint apps on mine are a bit dodgy. Nothing majorly major, but when you look close you can see a few things. Mine has a paint dot on the bonnet. And also one side of his helmet appears to be unpainted. It's a good thing they matched the paint and plastic colours so well that you really have to look to notice.

Anyway, overall I'm very glad I picked this guy up.When he was announced I had zero interest as I've always found Prowl's character boring so I have never had an attachment to him, so this is all toy engineering love
    Last edited by Trent; 1st October 2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Wow nice photo shots man ..... he looking good... yeah the cannon really stick out in car mode hey ..no wonder the promo shot at a lower angle ....quick question...can the light bar be taken off?..
    i can't wait to get mine...

Great photos. It looks even better than the official shots.

So very very jelly. That black and white is making me fell like I want a MP Galaxy Shuttle. Mmmm.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Approximate Retail Price - $50-60AU
    6090JPY = AU$67. It may be AU$50-60 for those of us who've preordered and gotten earlybird discounts, but TakTOM's standard asking price for this toy is almost seventy bucks. I've yet to be convinced that this toy is actually worth its full RRP (I'll obviously be able to judge this for myself once I get the toy in hand ).

Main Features/Gimmicks - none
    The official web page is promoting the shoulder cannons as a feature/gimmick. <shrug>

I love this guy. If you were a fan of the Lambos then you will like this mould.
    I gotta ask... is the robot mode solid? No issues like w/ the shoulders on Lambor?

And also the paint apps on mine are a bit dodgy. Nothing majorly major, but when you look close you can see a few things. Mine has a paint dot on the bonnet. And also one side of his helmet appears to be unpainted. It's a good thing they matched the paint and plastic colours so well that you really have to look to notice.
    That's pretty ordinary for a $70 toy.

When he was announced I had zero interest as I've always found Prowl's character boring so I have never had an attachment to him, so this is all toy engineering love
    I like Prowl's character. He's has the veneer of a cool headed pragmatist who can actually be quite charismatic and take charge (after all he did assume command of the Autobots when Shockwave captured Optimus Prime's head), but beneath it lies a petty and arrogant @$$hat; as wonderfully exposed when Grimlock rubbed it in Prowl's face that Powermaster Optimus Prime had named Grimlock as his successor with his dying breath, and not Prowl. That one panel where Prowl is gritting his teeth in angry frustration with both fists clenched behind Grimlock's back is one of the most visually powerful moments in G1; it spoke so much without using any words.

That was of course in the G1 comics. In the G1 cartoon Prowl wasn't quite as memorable; but then again most of the Transformers weren't as memorable in the G1 cartoon compared to the comics (caricatures vs characters). But Prowl did deliver one of the best lines of innuendo in the G1 cartoon;
    Prowl: "I've got the plan, if you've got the cast-iron manifolds to carry it out."
    Optimus Prime: "We do!"
    This line totally flew over my head as a kid, but watching it again as an adult doth make me grin.

It was ~4600 JPY when I picked up mine.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    6090JPY = AU$67. It may be AU$50-60 for those of us who've preordered and gotten earlybird discounts, but TakTOM's standard asking price for this toy is almost seventy bucks. I've yet to be convinced that this toy is actually worth its full RRP (I'll obviously be able to judge this for myself once I get the toy in hand ).
    When I preorered and paid the dollar was much stronger. Fortunately for me I also paid for Bluestreak and Smokescreen at the same time. But this is the price it looks like we are going to have to pay as our dollar drops. So it's either cough up or deal.

The official web page is promoting the shoulder cannons as a feature/gimmick. <shrug>
    Didn't think of them. Fixed

I gotta ask... is the robot mode solid? No issues like w/ the shoulders on Lambor?
    Shouders are much more solid. I can honestly say that this shoulder issue on SS, which appears to have become the bane of your existance, does not exist on Prowl.

That's pretty ordinary for a $70 toy.
    Good thing I didn't pay $70 for it then isn't it?

But Prowl did deliver one of the best lines of innuendo in the G1 cartoon;
    Prowl: "I've got the plan, if you've got the cast-iron manifolds to carry it out."
    Optimus Prime: "We do!"
    This line totally flew over my head as a kid, but watching it again as an adult doth make me grin.
    Topped by Sentinel Prime in Animated:

Jetfire/Jetstorm: He's getting away!
    Sentinel: Well don't just stand there with your servos in your hands! After him!!

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

How come some of the stock pics are showing him with shoulder cannons of some sort... not the promotional black with missle ( ive seen some posts by friends on facebook (sg based) but like an in built one - does he have any just like those on Bluestreak?

They've been promoting that Shoulder cannon gimmick which apparently one comes with Prowl and you get the second one when you buy Bluestreak (thus ensuring you buy him too). Though Im not totally sure on this as it could be speculation. Most of the people who posted on facebook though has showed their purchase with the coin... how come these coins always seem to vanish on imported ones and why does Takara not just make it standard to include the coins as there already charging premium pricing for this figures of smaller stature. I find it annoying.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Liege, if you look at Trent's photo in alt mode, you can see the retractable rocket launchers tucked away. RK for instance had a promotion wherby if you preordered before Sept. 15th, you received one coin & launcher each as a bonus with Prowl & Streak. I went with HLJ & won't be getting them. BBTS sometimes sell them individually, ~$10 for a single coin.

Here's to living vicariously through your photo's,Trent I won't see mine until Smokescreen arrives.

Love the alt & robot modes. I can see myself rolling him around on the dining table or posing him in some heroic gunslinger stance- something i very rarely do with my TF. They've really outdone themselves with this mold.

As for the extra coins etc, this is a nonissue for me as i don't collect them anymore & having one set of launchers for me is pointless; Prowl never had them, Smokescreen's are unique enough & Streak's standard ones will suffice. If anything, Smokescreen's coin should at least resemble a poker chip

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    It was ~4600 JPY when I picked up mine.
    Most excellent! \(^O^)/
    Shouders are much more solid. I can honestly say that this shoulder issue on SS, which appears to have become the bane of your existance, does not exist on Prowl.
    This pleases much!
    Topped by Sentinel Prime in Animated:
    Topped by countless lines in Beast Wars. I've never seen any Transformers series quite so loaded with subtle innuendo (the Bay movies' innuendo is anything but subtle, so I'm not counting them )
    Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    How come some of the stock pics are showing him with shoulder cannons of some sort... not the promotional black with missle ( ive seen some posts by friends on facebook (sg based) but like an in built one - does he have any just like those on Bluestreak?

They've been promoting that Shoulder cannon gimmick which apparently one comes with Prowl and you get the second one when you buy Bluestreak (thus ensuring you buy him too). Though Im not totally sure on this as it could be speculation. Most of the people who posted on facebook though has showed their purchase with the coin... how come these coins always seem to vanish on imported ones and why does Takara not just make it standard to include the coins as there already charging premium pricing for this figures of smaller stature. I find it annoying.
    Are you talking about these missiles/launchers? If so, they're only available if you purchase the toy from Amazon JP or Hasbro Asia (w/ coin). It's not available with the standard version of the toy. Amazon & Hasbro AS Streak will come with these missiles/launchers.

As for the coins, that's something that's come from Hasbro Asia (Hong Kong) as a bonus accessory for their market. It's never been something that TakaraTOMY's ever done. If you're keen on collecting the coins and Amazon bonus accessories, then the Hasbro AS versions would be the way to go. I'm personally not into the coins but I like the bonus accessories, so I get the Amazon versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    As for the extra coins etc, this is a nonissue for me as i don't collect them anymore & having one set of launchers for me is pointless; Prowl never had them, Smokescreen's are unique enough & Streak's standard ones will suffice.
    The standard versions are designed to resemble the G1 cartoon and if show-likeness is good enough for you, then the regular versions are just fine. The Amazon/HAS AS versions are only there for those of us who prefer G1 toy accuracy. The Amazon version of MP Smokescreen doesn't come w/ any bonus accessories though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    If anything, Smokescreen's coin should at least resemble a poker chip
    Nice.

Alternatively Amazon should've included a small bag of little poker chips that MP Smokescreen can hold.