• Only if cheap

1 12.50%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

2 25.00%

Thread: Toy Review - Robots In Disguise Starscream (Deluxe)

Default Toy Review - Robots In Disguise Starscream (Deluxe)

STARSCREAM
    Series - Robots In Disguise
    Sub-line - Combiner Force
    Size/class - Warrior
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 9
    Released here - February 2017
    Approximate Retail Price - $29
    Approximate Size - 13.6cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Fictitious jet fighter inspired by the Sukhoi Berkut experimental fighter & YF-19 Valkyrie variable fighter
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    Main Colours - red, grey, chambray, cyan, yellow, black
    Main Accessories - x2 guns

Robot Mode

The core design of the robot mode is pretty standard fare by contemporary standards. With 9 points of articulation, four of which are on ball and socket joints, Starscream has reasonably good poseability for a Warrior Class figure. The aesthetic of this toy has moved far away from Starscream's previous Transformers Prime model (as have most TFP characters who've appeared in RiD). Starcream's design now has a more G1 flavour carried over by its inspiration from Animated Starscream. But one element which was apparent to me before, even after watching the cartoon and owning the Legion Class figure, is the visual homage to G1 Coronation Starscream (and of course, now I cannot unsee it ). The shoulders stick out like G1 Starscream's coronation shoulder pads, and even the wings now point downwards, essentially acting as a cape (even more so if you swing them down as low as possible).

I like how they've used two tones of blue (chambray and cyan) on the shoulders, upper arms, hands, legs and shoulder pylons. It helps to break up the grey on the vehicle kibble. The use of black accents on the helmet, guns and pectoral vents works really well, and the red on the pecs, forehead crest, eyes, groin and stripes along the wings add nice additional highlights to the figure. This is one of the times where a Hasbro Transformer actually looks better IRL than in photos - pictures really don't do this toy justice as far as its cosmetic features are concerned. The guns can either be attached to the forearms or they can be hand held. My only real gripe with this toy in robot mode is the raised collar which interferes with side to side head articulation.

Vehicle Mode

A very nice jet fighter with swept back wings. I really like how the cockpit-nosecone section forms so well. The main downside is that the arms don't fold in anywhere, they pretty much just sit on the sides, although the forearms do tuck and tab in along the rear fuselage, and the hands do fold in which is appreciated. The massive shoulders don't fold in either, but they do also hide beneath the wings which is better than just sticking out like Windblade's shoulders do. The wings attach to the fuselage with a single tab each, although the connection isn't really tight on my figure which makes it hard for the wings to sit flush. But overall I find it's a very nice looking jet mode which exudes its YF-19 Macross influence.

Overall

HasTak seem to be getting better at making these Warrior Class RiD toys, which is nice to see. In all Starscream is a reasonably decent and solid figure and is definitely one of the best Decepticon Warriors I've seen from this line thus far (rivalling Megatronus and Fracture). Recommended.

A good update to a character I loved immensely in Prime, and now in RID.

Nice looking robot, show accurate and the guns mount nicely on the forearms as in the show.

Transformation is also a nice surprise and the Jet, though slightly reminiscent of CW Silverbolt (long thin nose with a bulkly under-wing section) is still sleek.

Only thing I wish is that the head had some up/down movement so you could get some grovelling style expressions in

Comparison with RiD Starscream...

Already have three Starscreams (Energon, Cybertron & Alternity) in my collection. So I hung out for the Skywarp repaint and am happy to have my first Skywarp. My only gripe is with the shoulder pads and underwing in jet mode and how there are no tabs/holes to hold them together.

I hate it when a photo is placed on the back of the packaging that proves to be misleading.