Thread: Toyfair wrap-up.

Default Toyfair wrap-up.

I'll be adding the Lego stuff in a later post, because they wouldn't allow photographs to be taken, but did give me their 2009 product
    manual. I'll scan in items that have release dates of later this year, as I'm sure most items in the book are probably already known by
    Lego fans.

These are the non-Transformers photos I took at the 2009 Australian Toy, Hobby and Nursery Fair, held in Melbourne last weekend (March 20-23).

For anyone coming to this topic directly from an off-site link, the Transformers report can be found here.

With limited time this year, and most of it spent at the Hasbro exhibit covering their Transformers, I wasn't able to get more than just
    one or two photos of other toy lines. So all that is posted below is all I have, and no specific details were recorded either. This at
    least gave me an idea of how much time in future years I will need, to properly cover this trade show event.
    Consider this year's 'coverage' more of a sample, or teaser report of what to expect this year.

First up was the other stuff at the Hasbro exhibit.

GI Joe, the other big toyline for this year, with the Movie set for release mid year. Both small and large figures to be released, along
    with at least one playset and a variety of vehicles. As with most other Hasbro action figure lines, we will see gimmick lines padding
    out the brand, with Mighty Muggs, Combat Heroes, Tough Troopers and Rapid Rollers.
    The one thing GIJoe has as an advantage at the moment, is that it kinda takes a break from all the excessively fantasy-alien-magical
    themed action figure lines at the moment. It allows kids to be able to more easily relate to and enjoy something 'more real' by being
    a (semi-realistic) military themed toyline. I think it should do well, as it fills a void in the toy market. A void created by all
    those toylines trying to out-do each other in how weird and fictional they can be.

Marvel continues to be a large brand for Hasbro, after aquiring the rights to it a couple years ago. There were two displays at the
    exhibit, but I only got a proper photo of one display. The other display had the Transformers Crossovers and 'Heroes' figurines (including
    playsets).

Star Wars. If there wasn't the new Clone Wars show, I think Hasbro would still be milking this brand for all it could. We've had no new
    shows or movies for the 'old series', and yet year after year, we get the classic characters as toys on the shelves.
    The distinctive blue and white 'Clone Wars' style packaging continues this year, across their various action figures, figurines,
    playsets and roleplay toys.

Galactic Heroes figurines, Star Wars Transformers, and basic action figures.

Titaniums, vehicles, Mighty Muggs.

Roleplay weapons (lightsabers, voice changer helmet, blasters), Remote controlled R2D2, Playset.

RPG(?) sets and figurines.

Roleplay lightsabers.

And the Nerf and Super Soaker corner, including a 'machine gun on tripod' Nerf gun (on the stand in the centre), and a Wii Nerf game, in which you shoot the darts at the TV screen from the special Nerf gun.

The one photo I realised I missed, was the Wolverine Movie toys. The Hasbro people even had a guy paid to stand around all day (probably for the whole four days), with a pair of the new Wolverine roleplay claws (plastic gloves with extendable claws and sound effects). I felt sorry for the guy, for having nothing to do except wander around and wait for the next batch of retailers wanting a demonstration of the claws.

I also ran out of time to get some photos of their girls toys, as there were a number of other 80s toylines Hasbro seemed to be plugging this year, including Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony.

FUNTASTIC

Probably the number 3 toy distributor in Australia, with a heap of toy franchises that are popular at the moment.

Star Trek.
    Figures and playsets for the new Star Trek movie.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
    Said to be their 25th Anniversary this year, but I think that was the start of the comic. The toys they are 'reissueing' in the
    anniversary line came out about 20 years ago (if I remember correctly).

There were new and old (reissue) figures on display, plus a Turtle Van that could also be new.

Smurfs, another classic toyline from the 80s, that has seen a return to the shelves in a big way recently.

Ben10.
    This is 'the toyline' at the moment, with young kids and parents. If you don't know what Ben10 is about, ask a 5 to 10 year old. They all know.

Dragonball Z.
    A new movie out soon means more new toys, plus more toys for the animated DBZ cartoons.

Power Rangers.
    A series that also knows not how to die. Not as big as it once was, but the toys keep on coming.

And from Hunter Overseas, the exclusive importer of toys for the new Terminator Movie. I didn't have time to look over what they had, and this photo isn't too good, but best I post it than trash it.

Woo-hoo, new DBZ stuff based on the cartoon! I couldnt care less for the movie based stuff.

Now I just have to hope retailers pick it up, and stock it...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The DBZ movie scares me...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    The DBZ movie scares me...
    Is that a mix of emo and camp they're going for? *shudder* I'm worried too Kyle!

So this display suggest we will be getting the movie GI Joe vehicles. Might have to get the Night Raven and the Cobra Van if there affordable enough, I don't think the Pitt will be.

Awesome! Smurf toys! I love those little commy bas**rds!

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Lego stuff to be posted here shortly.
    Well, we're waiting.

If it's space police, get it up asap as you could have another exclusive right there.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

I have to check with Lego first, as most of the catalogue is stamped with 'confidential' over the various images. If I post scans on the public area of the board, I could get into a bit of trouble over it if they don't want the images leaked yet.

They might not want them out yet, but a lot of not all of the images in that catalogue have already been scanned and shown on multiple websites
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|