Page 1 of 28 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic review: More Than Meets The Eye season 2: #28 onwards

Default Comic review: More Than Meets The Eye season 2: #28 onwards

Season 2 begins, now

Megatron assumes control of the quest to find the Knights of Cybertron—a quest that has never before been so urgent, so personal, and so likely to end in tears. An incredulous Lost Light crew is left asking the same thing you are: how exactly did it come to this?
    And it's off to a great start. A fun first issue, very different to MTMTE #1 though but an evolution not a complete restart. I love this Megatron. A little cluttered down with crossover resolution stuff but by far the best of the three Dawn of the Autobots "#1"s.

I enjoyed it as well, love the "Death from Face Palm" quip from Rodimus to Starscream, and Nautica's interview for a place in the Lost Light.

Will be interesting to see who or what is in the casket.

A very setup issue, putting things into place for the next 20+ issues, lots of things that I am sure seem like little nothings (missing letters) will probably be relevant to big twists and turns in the future, more than the warning from issue one or the changes to rewinds recording.

I have a few questions, most I know cannot be answered, and possibly not for a long time, but having Ravage on board seems a massive thing to me, and how he is there without rung or Megatron knowing seems... iffy. I wonder if this means Soundwave is getting live transmissions and what this will mean for RiD.

Is thinking that Prowl was on the other end of Whirl's transmission too obvious?

Also I'd love more Rodimus and Prowl stuff, with a bit of Magnus and Prime thrown in every now and again.

Nice crew changes too, Hotspot, Groove, Nightbeat, Hosehead, Mirage, Bluestreak as well as real newbies Riptide (love the design) and Nautica should give a few more characters to bounce things off, some story involving Nightbeat and Getaway would be awesome!

Not the best MtMtE issue, and it did not give as much information as I was hoping for, I guess we will be drip fed the trial details throughout MtMtE for the next few months, but the banter was good and the characters instantly memorable.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The unexpected Decepticon aboard the Lost Light was a nice touch. Thinking about it today the book could have established Megatron as being in command a bit more strongly, but I'll be happy to see the trial take place (via the flashbacks and then for things to move on).

The issue made me feel a little sorry for Bluestreak.

Nick Roche's cover for #31 gives us headshots of some of the new crew members as well as the old hands:

Cool a NAIL is joining the crew.

RID is one of the best series that I have read.

Are you getting Dipstick (who's a previous part of the crew) and Tappet confused? I don't think any of the others are NAILS (although Nautical possibly is and Cyclonus is)

Guess that I have...

A very enjoyable issue, although Nautica's banter about her name bugs me. It seems that IDW's insistence on embedding the Transformers with Anglo-Terra-centricism is continuing... despite the fact that Nautica has _never_ been to Earth and wouldn't have had contact with Earth languages (let alone Modern English). And please don't tell me that this is all meant to be in "Cybertronian" and that it someone "translates" to Modern English, because I find that incredibly unlikely. It wouldn't even translate over to most other Earth languages, let alone to an alien language. *deep.sigh*

Nightbeat busting Swerve's auditions was hilarious. And the word "Crewditions" is something that is far more plausible because you can believe that Cybertronian languages could have portmanteaus - i.e. combining whatever the Cybertronian word for "crew" and "audition" is into a single word, e.g. if the word for crew is "hop" and the word for audition is "splat," then they could make "hoplat." But the whole thing with Nautica's name seems too implausible to me.

On the other hand, it was interesting to see how the voiceless "th" vowel is difficult for some Cybertronians to pronounce (re: "Eart"). It's believable that the Cybertronians would have borrowed the English word for "Earth" to describe it in their own language (similar to how some words in Australian English (especially some place names) are borrowed from Aboriginal languages, e.g. Parramatta, Joondalup, Wollongong et al.). I appreciate stuff like this - it helps to remind the audience that the Transformers are otherworldly aliens... but then the Nautica thing flies in the complete opposite direction.