Page 1 of 24 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: Stores selling Transformers in Japan

Default Stores selling Transformers in Japan

Hey there,

I just found out today that I'm travelling to Japan next weekend for 2 weeks in Chiyoda for work

Can anyone recommend some TF shops in Tokyo ?

I'd personally recommend checking out Ikebukuro. There are two big department stores (Seibu and Tobu) sitting right on top of Ikebukuro station! And if that's not enough there are other stores like Bic Camera which have been known to stock Transformers at fairly cheap prices.

A lot of people who also recommend Akihabara, although personally the only transformer I've ever bought from there was a step-down transformer. I find Akihabara a bit too "touristy" for my taste; although I suppose it is good from a tourist POV as a lot of people who work there can speak foreign languages like English. Don't expect most people in Japan to speak any English btw. A lot of people in Japan would like to _think_ that they can speak English... and they will often _try_ ("try" being the operative word) to speak English with Westerners. But usually they end up butchering the English language and ultimately you don't understand what the <expletive> they're trying to tell you. So I strongly recommend that you learn at least some basic Japanese phrases that will help you get around for shopping, dining etc.; you could probably pick up a phrase book or something. If there's anything you need to know, don't hesitate to ask Tetsuwan Convoy. Or me.

Seriously though, there's a thread for discussion about languages other than English here - please feel free to ask us any questions about Japanese there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'd personally recommend checking out Ikebukuro. There are two big department stores (Seibu and Tobu) sitting right on top of Ikebukuro station! And if that's not enough there are other stores like Bic Camera which have been known to stock Transformers at fairly cheap prices.

A lot of people who also recommend Akihabara, although personally the only transformer I've ever bought from there was a step-down transformer. I find Akihabara a bit too "touristy" for my taste; although I suppose it is good from a tourist POV as a lot of people who work there can speak foreign languages like English. Don't expect most people in Japan to speak any English btw. A lot of people in Japan would like to _think_ that they can speak English... and they will often _try_ ("try" being the operative word) to speak English with Westerners. But usually they end up butchering the English language and ultimately you don't understand what the <expletive> they're trying to tell you. So I strongly recommend that you learn at least some basic Japanese phrases that will help you get around for shopping, dining etc.; you could probably pick up a phrase book or something. If there's anything you need to know, don't hesitate to ask Tetsuwan Convoy. Or me.

Seriously though, there's a thread for discussion about languages other than English here - please feel free to ask us any questions about Japanese there.
    Hey thanks for a great response. I'll check out Ikebukuro.. So far I've just downloaded every free japanese language app for the iPhone to get started. Mushi mush

Cheers,
    Jetfire san

gah im so jealous! i want to go to the sales there ;-;
    Last edited by kaiden; 21st August 2009 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
    Mushi mush

Cheers,
    Jetfire san
    Err, Mushi means bug. Phone is moshi moshi.

By Far handy words
    "Sumimasen" - Excuse me/sorry/thanks.
    "arigatou" - Thanks
    "doumo" - also thanks.

Bic camera or Yodabashi Camera are regular dept stores that wont lead you astray. They are almost everywhere and as gok said, have cheap prices. Sometimes they have mega=price-offs and you can get stuff t 1/3 original price!! Toys R us in Japan is pretty good too! I found some older stuff there nice and cheap. Although I notice they are shifting away from the action figure sort of market and going for the really young kiddies so they don't have as much cool stuffas they did a few years ago.

If you make it to Harajuku, Kiddie Land is 5 small floors of toy-joy(tm). Its a bit tricky to find in between all the people, but if you head down the main street and see a Condomania shop (I think thats the name, but if it isn't, its a bright coloured place that sells condoms) and have a look around there, as Kiddie Land is in that area.

I was in Japan last month for the tokyo toy fair (which reminds me I wanna share my pics) and most TFs were the occasional Encore, some random Henkei and Movie characters.

P.S If you wann send me a PS3 Slim while yer there, I would love you long time

I am serious about the PS3
    Last edited by Tetsuwan Convoy; 21st August 2009 at 02:03 AM.

oh! if its time to ask the -insert random guy- going to japan game to buy stuff for us... fill my henkei wants? XD

i'd be happy with the ones that i cant order on robotkingdom ^_^

Sorry guys news just in.. I won't be picking up stuff for people on the forums.

Especially something like a PS3 lol.. only my wife is allowed to love me for any length of time.

I wouldn't recommend getting a PS3 from Japan anyway, has built in censorship, boo! play any copy of Resistance (US/AUS/JAP) on a JAP PS3 and it'll censor that game, no gooey head shots for you!

Hey there,

Anyway I'm here (or there)...

Planning a trip into Tokyo tomorrow.. currently I'm looking out onto the Yokohama port harbour

I found a cool store in Yokohama, Yodobashi which has a whole floor of toys and figures..

I also found the ROTF Devastator in Singapore but the ticket price was pretty high... over $200AU and the box is huge.. I'll pass I think

Have you visited Toys R'Us at Jack Mall? That mall is a small commercial complex located at the back of Queen's Square at Minato Mirai in Yokohama. If you don't pass via the Minato Mirai Line, most likely you can take the Sakuragicho station. Been there 4 years ago so my info may not be that accurate so be warned.

Btw, you gotta love autumn in japan!
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap