Think my progression was:

Atari 2600
NES
Super NES
Nintendo 64
Wii
PS3

With my Gameboy and PC off to one side

Like many others, I haven't bothered to upgrade to the next generation of systems and probably wont until my kids get old enough to want one
That's awesome Trev!

My Progress was:

Atari 2600/Coleco (they are contemporary)
NES/PC - Always a PC gamer so for many years it was also a big part of my gaming.
SNES/PC
N64/PC
PC
PS3
WiiU

After N64 I became a 100% dedicated PC gamer for several years. Most of the console games released at the time did not interest me much. Then the original Wii came out but very soon after the Dolphin emulator on PC had matured so well that it technically surpassed the Wii console itself. I played several Wii Games as well as Gamecube on the PC in HD with updated effects and graphics.

After that I bought a Phat PS3 very cheaply (because it was broken but I was able to fix) and started playing the PS3 exclusives that had caught my attention which were really just a few games as everything else had been released on PC and often with superior graphics.

Only recently when I decided to collect Nintendo consoles did I get a Gamecube and Wii.

The last console I bought is the Wii U and mostly due to the great exclusives. I actually use the Wii U a hell of a lot more for games than the PS3.

For handhelds

- Gameboy
- Pocket Gameboy
(Huge gap)
- Nintendo DS (which I used an R4 card to have apps like a smart phone as I only had a normal Nokia at the time)
- 3DS
- New 3DS

Only recently as I begun collecting consoles did I buy a Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and GBA SP.