Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Gobots finally making a return?

A little to the left... a little bit more...

This is great!

I'd say these designs look more like the MR toy counterparts than the US cartoon (mind you, the cartoon appearances were closer to their toy designs than Transformers ever were). Don't forget that Bandai already released updated versions of the original design with Machine Robo Rescue in 2003, which included similar designs to what the original GoBots were based on. They own the rights.

I'll probably pick up Leader-1 and Turbo
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ill buy them all....I wonder if they'll make more... hoping for a Crasher, Coptur, Pathfinder and Scooter... Hmm I wonder if they'll come up with the Monsterous figures. As well as Vamp, Scorp, Creepy, Pincher Et all. Are these all in plastic or are there metal parts as well?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Wow them prototype looks good.... i also have a softspot for them ...never really like teh cartoon as a kid but love the toys .... i wonder how much they cost ...

Those Machine Robo toys look awesome, I've always liked the aesthetic of the Japanese cartoon, the few sniperts I've seen make the animation in some episodes of Transformers look bad. Some of the old toys were great. I hope this line continues long enough to do some of the weird monster car ones.

As for Hasbro/Bandai's Gobots, well.... guess we'll see.

TakTom needs to announce a new MP, as it stands right now between Machine Robo, Macross and 3rd party robots, all the transforming toys I'm looking forward too, are not Transformers.

More images on Facebook of the display, here and here.

From the people behind you get an idea of the size.

Details
    >Design by Action toys (not Bandai)
    Same company making Ultimetal Optimus Prime.
    >Roughly 10.5-12.5cm (top roll 10cm, bottom 12cm MP Bee scale)
    >Has diecast metal parts, ball joints
    >Estimate release June (Impossible )
    >Price range around 50 USD
    >There are 9 designs now, release 2 figures each time
    >Maybe* total 13 figures, one being an big aircraft carrier roughly 25-30cm in alt mode
    Prices are more than I was hoping, but if they pull off that level of detail and colour on all of them, I'd be keen to get some.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    But the design looks like Hasbro/Tonka's cartoon appearance, not the Machine Robo toy. Anyway I'm no expert on Gobots, I've only seen screen caps and pictures of the toys.
    The Gobots have never appeared in the Transformers cartoon or Hasbro's toyline. As others have mentioned, this is actually a return of Bandai's Machine Robo rather than Gobots... so calling them Gobots is kiiinda misleading (akin referring to Macross or Diaclone as 'Transformers').

Also, even if Hasbro does own the rights for the Gobots designs, it still wouldn't affect what Bandai does with it for Machine Robo in Japan. I think it's similar to how Harmony Gold owns the rights for the Robotech designs in the USA, but Big West still holds the rights to continue making Macross in Japan. Cos knowing what HG are like with jealously hoarding and squatting on their IP, there'd be no way that they would've allowed Studio Nue/Big West to do anything w/ Macross if they had the chance! Thankfully this hasn't been the case, and Nue/Big West have continued to make numerous Macross series since the original.

Video links for comparison:
    Challenge of the Gobots intro
    Original Machine Robo (Revenge of Chronos) Opening
    Gobots toy commercial
    Machine Robo toy advert
    ...although I'd really love to see the Australian version of the Gobots commercial which called the toys "Machine Men" instead.

These look amazing in both modes. Not usually a collector of transforming toys that aren't TFs, but I'll get the Blue Jet Robo. Was tempted to get the EM Gokin release of it but was disappointed by the parts-forming. It seems like for this version of Blue Jet, the jet's nose cone splits to become the robot's two scabbards. Clever if that's the case.
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    But the design looks like Hasbro/Tonka's cartoon appearance, not the Machine Robo toy. Anyway I'm no expert on Gobots, I've only seen screen caps and pictures of the toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The Gobots have never appeared in the Transformers cartoon or Hasbro's toyline. As others have mentioned, this is actually a return of Bandai's Machine Robo rather than Gobots... so calling them Gobots is kiiinda misleading (akin referring to Macross or Diaclone as 'Transformers').
    DeltaPrime was actually correct, as he said "Tonka's cartoon", not Transformers cartoon or Toyline - and it was the cartoon that he thinks they look more like than the physical Gobots/Machine Robo toys (similar to how most of the Transformers Masterpiece toys look more like they do on the cartoon/comic than their original 1980s toy).

(and Tonka is now part of Hasbro... so retroactively, it's Hasbro's cartoon now, but can't do much with it because of Bandai's ownership of the toy designs)