View Poll Results: TF3 : DotM - worth watching?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • excellent, must see

50 43.86%
  • good, see if you can

35 30.70%
  • average

22 19.30%
  • disappointing, avoid it

7 6.14%
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152030 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - Transformers 3 : Dark of the Moon (spoilers)

Okay some slightly more coherent not posted at 4am thoughts (as per Griff's request not going to post a wall of text, just a few paras)

I didn't particularly like it. I really liked the 2007 film, quite liked Revenge of the Fallen (guilty pleasure, it was objectively poor) but I'm not won over by this. Maybe it was the style - for action movies I like Bay as a director but this was almost cinematic decadence, a cinematic last days of Rome. I felt like he was doing extravagant over the top stuff just because he could, as opposed to because they were good ideas.

I also felt that like with RotF what the bad guys were doing at any given time was a bit unclear - the deformed Megatron was hiding in quite a pathetic fasion in the middle of the African desert with Starscream and Soundwave seemingly living off scraps - this didn't really line up with Shockwave authoritatively tooling it around in a massive drilling snake thing destroying stuff.

Like RotF it felt too long - especially the final action set piece. By the time it ended (very abruptly) I didn't really care anymore why it had started. I'm generally all for action sequences but the very in your face style of Bay means that any lengthy sequences just grate on the senses.

Those are my major objective gripes. I tend not to let fanboy-ey stuff ruin my Bay-formers experience but will say that I was a bit let down with Shockwave - I see and appreciate how he was written (silent death machine, almost an animal/monster) but was expecting a slightly more aloof villain. Almost G1esque.

And now I hate myself for comparing the movie to G1 so I'll stop because I hate people that do that.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I enjoyed it. I even enjoyed Wheelie and Brains who I thought I would find annoying. Like everyone I have a couple of criticisms.

** In the novel the robots got alot more time. I would of liked this in the movie. Particularly The Wreckers. Their intro scene was a bit longer with Epps explaining why they are NASCAR's and Sideswipe and Mirage have alot of banter between themselves which is quite funny.

**When the Autobots got freed and started slaying cons. I would of liked to of seen more robot action and less humans scurrying around. Also we know Bay used pre-existing models (In the still shots of the trailer you can see Longhaul and a brown coloured Brawl) I would of preferred these being used as fodder as opposed to generic silver bots.

**The garbage truck con. How can they tease the fans like that, We needed to see more of him. He better get a toy.

**Rosie... not a fan sorry

Apart from that I really enjoyed it. I liked the sycophant coward Starscream who was quite cocky about killing Sam then was all "Oh my eye. Ow!" I was glad I knew before hand of Ironhides death because probably would of shocked me pretty bad. I would like sit downa nd watch all the movies in a marathon to work out what one was my favourite but initially I would say this one is.

Oh and the 3D was awesome!
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

ok i saw it last night, and it was bad. I was expecting way better but i knew deep down not to get my hopes up.

However the scenes with Sam and Bumblebee together were great, actually kind of sweet. You can absolutely feel the connection they have and that is a really great part of these movies. When Bumblebee is about to be executed i think everyone in the cinema stopped breathing for a little while.

But then continues the crap-a-thon.

Shockwave looked pretty damn cool, he was def a nice G1 reference. Stupid annoying little transformers everywhere (might appeal to kids, i wanted them dead!) Optimus prime is hanging and nobody shoots him???? come on...

Oh and probably the thing i found MOST annoying, is that all the Transformers are now ninja's...what the crap happened to just having guns? why do they all do flips, rolls, spinning kicks, with swords....anyway, bad movie.

Worst part is i have to go watch it again with my son, ill tell him that its excellent though. Even if there is too much swearing in it for little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    I don't want amateurs!
    If I am paying to get a job done, I get professionals.
    I expect no less from a movie that I hypothetically am paying to see
    Oh I agree. My comment wasn't to justify the use of amateurs as actors - but just saying that in the context of an amateur I think she did okay. But yeah, they should have hired a professional for sure. The use of Buzz Dixon was understandable - but that's more of a cameo role rather than the use of a non-actor in a significant role.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    And now I hate myself for comparing the movie to G1 so I'll stop because I hate people that do that.
    Okay, but even looking at DotM Shockwave completely on his own, we can see...
    + Bugger all character development. The only word he spoke that was intelligible to the audience as "Optimus" -- otherwise all his dialogue was in Cybertronian.
    + He didn't transform!

He was not much more than the driller-worm's keeper. Okay, non-G1 fans are probably not as disappointed, but I don't think they'd be thrilled by the character either.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

Okay, but even looking at DotM Shockwave completely on his own, we can see...
    + Bugger all character development. The only word he spoke that was intelligible to the audience as "Optimus" -- otherwise all his dialogue was in Cybertronian.
    + He didn't transform!

He was not much more than the driller-worm's keeper. Okay, non-G1 fans are probably not as disappointed, but I don't think they'd be thrilled by the character either.
    I applaud Bay for his use of Shockwave. Best bit of misinformation ever!

He is fleshed out a little more in the novel and is more like his G1 self.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Okay some slightly more coherent not posted at 4am thoughts (as per Griff's request not going to post a wall of text, just a few paras)
    That request wasn't aimed at people who are posting their first thoughts on the movie.
    I also don't want to prevent debate or discussion.

How accurate is this? I haven't seen the movie yet, but if this is anything to go by, I'm glad I didn't.

Some of those inconsistencies are explained in the comics... but as griffin said before, it shouldn't have to be. The movie ought to be able to sustain its own continuity on its own merit. So I can see how regular movie goers who don't read the comics would find it confusing. While it's great for comic writers to expand on existing continuity, they shouldn't have to fill in the gaps from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    How accurate is this? I haven't seen the movie yet, but if this is anything to go by, I'm glad I didn't.
    The second page of that is incredibly valid. The first page not so much.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I also found this.