Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Combiner Wars animated series by Machinima

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    Maybe my expectations were to high for this series...
    And I think that it wasn't unreasonable to walk in with high expectations. This was meant to be the first Transformers series explicitly written for mature collectors and not kids. All other TF series are predominantly (or exclusively) aimed at children so naturally we cut them some slack.

And while this series is promoting the Combiner Wars Generations toyline, it otherwise seems to have a greater degree of creative freedom than most other TF TV series; as evidenced by seeing MP28 Hot Rodimus and Optimus Prime seems to be modelled after MP10 (no longer a current product for Hasbro). And considering that Windblade and Optimus Prime are the only characters we see in the latest ep, I doubt that they are running under a directive to showcase the entire toyline. And this series is clearly based on the IDW comics which has set a high bar for fans.

As much as the G1 cartoon was generally not as well written as the G1 comics - and we know that the comics out-endured the cartoon - but the cartoon was still engaging for audiences. I can't really say the same for the Combiner Wars 'toon.

Man.....

The only word I've got is... bad
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

For those that still care, Episode 4 is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wj2FAbYaYs

I actually enjoyed this a lot more than prior episodes. I liked Megatron's voice acting. Hopefully the action will start heating up from now.

Watching Megs take a boxing stance is actually funny as hell... best episode so far!

That was more interesting, but still felt lacking, as it ended up being mostly talk, with little else happening outside of Optimus and Megatron trading blows.
    The voice of Megatron isn't too bad though.

I like the idea that Megatron has found peace with himself outside of the Decepticon cause. Like he, the warlord obsessed with conquest, outgrew the war where Optimus, the symbol of peace and freedom, still dwells on the war and is somewhat lost without it. A really cool concept that probably won't get elaborated on or explored any more in an otherwise uninteresting (so far) series.

Interesting that Megs can still form a fully functional tank without his fusion cannon.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Why doesh Megatron shpeak with a lishp?

Maybe I've been spoiled by the IDW comics, but this Megatron hasn't made a great first impression on me. He feels like a caricaturised villain... as if he's incapable of having any other emotional range other than being a violent thug and thus spends his post war exile senseless beating up Constructicons.

Unless there's more than meets the eye going on here and all this mindlessness is just a ruse. The Constructicons did seem to be secretly communicating with each other during Megatron and Prime's banter, and they were left behind when Prime, Megs and Windblade departed. Are they working on a hidden agenda for Megatron or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Watching Megs take a boxing stance is actually funny as hell... best episode so far!
    I couldn't stand that.

It's not even a realistic (combative) boxing stance but more like modern sport boxing. The bouncing around was just ridiculous; it doesn't make much sense for a human to do it. Competitive fighters might do it because the surface of a boxing ring is more bouncy than solid ground, and they often bounce in order to give their step greater spring. This just doesn't work on actual earth. I would especially doubt that it would work with a giant robot. And Megatron was doing this with his guard up from a considerable distance. Why?? What's the point of having your dukes up when you're no where in melee range? The rest of the fight sequence was just silly... the lack of footwork made them look more like rock 'em sock 'em robots. It was like watching Thunderbird or Team America style marionettes fight. Optimus Prime and Megatron even fist bump during the fight. The only decent move in that entire fight sequence was Prime parried a downward arm strike from Megatron. The way that Megatron punched his hand into his other palm looked like a Kung Fu salute, which does look cool... but then nothing became of it, so... eh.

I'm hoping that there's more to this Megatron than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    And I think that it wasn't unreasonable to walk in with high expectations. This was meant to be the first Transformers series explicitly written for mature collectors and not kids. All other TF series are predominantly (or exclusively) aimed at children so naturally we cut them some slack.

And while this series is promoting the Combiner Wars Generations toyline, it otherwise seems to have a greater degree of creative freedom than most other TF TV series; as evidenced by seeing MP28 Hot Rodimus and Optimus Prime seems to be modelled after MP10 (no longer a current product for Hasbro). And considering that Windblade and Optimus Prime are the only characters we see in the latest ep, I doubt that they are running under a directive to showcase the entire toyline. And this series is clearly based on the IDW comics which has set a high bar for fans.

As much as the G1 cartoon was generally not as well written as the G1 comics - and we know that the comics out-endured the cartoon - but the cartoon was still engaging for audiences. I can't really say the same for the Combiner Wars 'toon.
    They really did make it out to be a gritty drama when they announced it, at least in my mind. I like what we got, but those expectations were indeed high.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Episode 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9OvZtV5Q0

Megatron still gets all the good lines.

The plot thickens... getting better