View Poll Results: Is MP-8X King Grimlock (reissue) worth buying?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 33.33%
  • No

4 26.67%
  • Only if....

4 26.67%
  • Not interested

2 13.33%

Thread: MP-8X King Grimlock (reissue) with Throne

Default MP-8X King Grimlock (reissue) with Throne

Hey all, here's my review of the new reissue of MP-8X King Grimlock. Covers the elbow issue, terrible throne accessory, but overall great figure! Hope you can check it out

For me, definitely worth buying the figure itself, but skip the throne!

http://youtu.be/FYsGYNTOUHg

recieved my mp08x last night and i thought i'd drop a message to you all

the good : I finally have one of my holy grails...

the bad :
    to start with i hadn't realised it was a hasbro asia re release if i had i would have passed on it on principal but alas to late for that

upon opening the box and removing the figure i was immediately a little put out , i was led to believe in all the photo's of mp08x I've seen (from the good to the bad ) that the silver paint job 'popped' unfortunately at least on my sample it looks more like a dull silver than a bright blingy silver

similar to the recent release's of normal mp08 they've used that green tinged plastic for the clear plastic, so the details on grimlock's chest are lost as the green obscures them , and the green over the gold looks hideous on the altmode neck.

there are also a few paint defects ( i'm not the kind of collector who expects all his mass produced items to be perfect ) some chipping and some area's that look like they've had to much/to little paint applied which brings me to what has been the greatest let down so far.

The sword is different to the original it uses the hasbro mold which is less pointy, and its also missing the red edges
    The L.E.D feature unfortunately my weapons have both been painted so lightly with the red chrome/blue paint that when using the light gimmicks the light shines through the painted area's as well as the gun tips
    this includes grimlock's hand which glows brightly red on the side.

My grimlocks right shoulder is loose enough that it makes it hard to pose in alt mode which is disappointing but should be fixable with some clear nail polish so its not the end of the world.

The throne is more than a joke I've yet to find a pose in which grimlock actually manages to 'sit' on the throne 100% of the time his back kibble blocks him from managing to sit its made of plastic which is pretty much just the inner plastic bubble of the mp's but painted.
    for it being something that most of the retailers charged extra to get it should have at least been usable in some form. i haven't decided what to do with it just yet but the bin is looking pretty good.

I've wanted mp08x for quite some time but couldn't justify the price tag he commanded on the secondary market so i jumped on this re issue when i found it for a reasonable price from an online store ($190 us inc. the retarded stand)
    but unfortunately i feel like i've been stung with reduced quality and increased price . having never seen an original mp08x in hand it is completely possible that my expectations are higher than the reality of the figure but i've seen more than just myself with problems/ complaints of differences between the 1st release and this

After finally getting a chance to look at the box I think I was right that this is a Hasbro US reissue. There is no info for Hasbro HK on the box but there is the standard Hasbro US info of Australia, UK and NZ addresses on it.

Mine's paint is perfect and no swapped parts, but the joints are terrible. This mould has been used too many times. My 1st run Takara MP-8 has much better joints than this the most recent use of the mould.

can't be a US release though or it would have gone to a brick and mortar store for sure?

From what I heard, this was a Hasbro Asia release specific to the Taiwan market, so even HK sellers werent getting this. I believe places like BBTS, TFSource, and Toy Dojo must have suppliers in China that could get a hold of stock for them.

Either way, there's definitely a big quality drop from the original MP-8X, especially in the silver paint app. I got into the MP line around the MP-10 timeframe, so missed out on the original MP-8X, and could never justify the huge prices for it after that.

I guess at around $250, this is OK for a figure I've always wanted. But it's disappointing regardless that the paint app and some plastic components are just not as good as the original.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Thanks for the review , I think I will pass.