View Poll Results: POTP VOY Grimlock - worth buying?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 35.71%
  • Only if (cheap or something else)

6 42.86%
  • No

1 7.14%
  • Not planning to buy it

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - POTP VOY Grimlock

Default Toy Review - POTP VOY Grimlock

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)

GRIMLOCK
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Power of the Primes
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - January 2018 (Asia & America DEC 2017)
    Approximate Retail Price - (probably about AU$50) US$25
    Approximate Size - 20cm?
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - T-rex
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner core
    Main Colours - Grey, bronze, red
    Main Accessories - 2 x combiner foot, white/red (mini-matrix?)

Last edited by griffin; 7th March 2018 at 08:28 PM.

For those who have Grimlock already, or got to play with it at the Sydney Hasbro event last month - does Grimlock not come with any weapons? No gun or signature sword?

Although i have not got it yet, i hopefully will be getting it from the little toy shop (action figure warehouse).

the red and white thing is the enigma of combination and from what i have been reading no weapons included.

Ever wondered why nobody ever photographs this toy from the back of the Dinobot mode? It looks pretty rubbish. Obviously compromises had to be made since this Grimlock is a gestalt torso and well... that's one of the compromises. That's not to say that it's an inherently bad toy per se -- one might argue that it's a forgivable flaw much like the back of POTP Optimus Prime's truck cab. But on the other hand, you can't argue against the fact that it just looks unsightly.

Overall it's a more solid toy than Voyager Generations (FOC) Grimlock though. And yeah, no weapons.

Robot mode: The better mode. Has better poseability than Starscream due to double jointed elbows, a turning waist and ridged pivot joints at the hips and knees that give greater stability with help from a lack of kibble on the back so he's not weighed down. Although I'm not a fan of the barrel-like chest and lack of a weapon. While strangely Starscream comes with two weapons.

Dino mode: The eyesores here are immense. The dino's back is one but an even bigger one is that horrible tail that is modelled on TR Twinferno's. I would've preferred Trypticon's tail, which isn't perfect but an improvement.

P.S. I like the crown of Volcanicus. It's like a pair of horns, how devilish.

Got it in late feb-early march ..
    I feel thatthe back kibble is not as bad as i was expecting but if you are fussy i do notthink it will bug you very much.

Wow, that is one fat dinosaur. Too many late-night Sharkticons and energon goodies, bozo.

Other than that it's not a bad update. Now I just need his buddies upsized to match - at least Sludge if no-one else.

bowspearer Guest

After seeing POTP Predaking, one thing which disappoints me is that the enigma isn't a transforming Prime Master like Predaking's is.

I feel I have to review Volcanicus because historically it's the first time Hasbro have made a dinobot combiner.

It's an awkward one due to it's lanky frame which is reminiscent of FOC Bruticus but the POTP feet are larger than the CW combiners feet and that helps to minimise instability. I like the feature of a swivelling waist which can add to better battle poses.

The best limb arrangement I find is to have Swoop and Snarl as the arms which allows Swoop's wings to be folded out in various ways and the same applies to Snarl's spiny tail which results in a combiner with very fearsome shoulders.

P.S. It's worthy of posing alongside PCC Grimstone ( the nearest equivalent ).

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    I feel I have to review Volcanicus because historically it's the first time Hasbro have made a dinobot combiner.
    That's not true, but it is certainly better than their previous attempt in 2005. But one of the dumbest things about the Unicron Trilogy Dinobots is that they were given no weapons and their fists are incompatible with the 5mm post. This made absolutely no sense because one of the greatest things that Armada established was the universal standardisation of the 5mm weapon post. So the frustrating thing about those Dinobots is that not only did they not come with any weapons of their own, but you can't even share weapons from any other UT figure or even give them Mini-Con weapons like the Star Sabre etc. And yeah, on top of that the individual figures are pretty poor and the combined mode is terrible.

I have zero interest in ever combining Volcanicus (I skipped POTP Grimmie), but I enjoy the other Dinobots as stand alone figures. And if you enjoy them as a combined gestalt, that's fine too. The toys work well either way. The Energon Dinobots suck as both stand alone figures and as a gestalt.