Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131828 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

I imported both Toyworld Hegemon and Xtransbot Apollyon without issues. Both were MISB and came with an orange cap. Has anyone in NSW had issues with these two?

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Just a reminder that the orange cap legally means NOTHING. It's simply a courtesy that many toy manufacturers elect to do, but in a court of law it will do nothing for you. Be aware that if you don't have a permit then you do run the risk of Federal Customs confiscating your toy(s) and melting them down. Without a permit you don't have a legal leg to stand on should your toys be detected and seized. I chose to just get the permit.

So I went and visited the local police station about permits and the guy in charge of fire-arms said all I need to do is ask customs if it's allowed in the country,
    if they say yes I just fill out a form send it off and the fire arms department give me a letter of approval for importation. No license or permit required
    Almost sounds too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoonMaster5000 View Post
    So I went and visited the local police station about permits and the guy in charge of fire-arms said all I need to do is ask customs if it's allowed in the country,
    if they say yes I just fill out a form send it off and the fire arms department give me a letter of approval for importation. No license or permit required
    Almost sounds too easy.
    Yeah doesn't sound exactly right, I'd either call or email the Tassie police dept firearms branch and get another opinion on the matter as there seems to be conflicting information depending on who you ask or where you look.
    Found contact info here: http://www.police.tas.gov.au/contact-us/support-areas/

Yeah, I wouldn't rely on the knowledge of the local cop shop, and contact the firearms branch directly by e-mail, as that is their speciality. Further customs don't decide what is allowed in the country, that is up to individual State police. Customs are the "bouncers at the door" and as long as you have the paperwork then they don't care. Police are like the events manager with your name on their clipboard

That is what I did when I brought in my MP-05 Megatron from singapore.

My email to WA Police firearms:
    I am going to Singapore this weekend and am thinking of bringing back a "Transformers" Megatron figurine. I'm a bit of a fan of the old Transformers cartoons from the 80's. I don't know if you're familiar with the old 80's cartoon, but the Megatron figurine "transforms" into a gun. I know Australian Customs are confiscating this figurine because in NSW it's been declared a replica gun. Do you know if WAPOL would consider this toy a replica gun, and if so, would it even be possible to bring one back? I've attached some pictures of the toy for reference, and included a B709 permit if necessary.
    WA Police response:
    Yes the firearm is considered a replica/imitation firearm and therefore, is subject to a B709 application to bring it into the country and pass through Customs. All applications are subject to assessment by myself before a permit is considered or issued. B709 application attached.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Just a reminder that the orange cap legally means NOTHING. It's simply a courtesy that many toy manufacturers elect to do, but in a court of law it will do nothing for you. Be aware that if you don't have a permit then you do run the risk of Federal Customs confiscating your toy(s) and melting them down. Without a permit you don't have a legal leg to stand on should your toys be detected and seized. I chose to just get the permit.
    I had not considered them to be an issue when I initially imported them, and did not look deeply into the issue surrounding MP-05 as I was never interested. I only own one of these figs (the other was part of a group import for a friend), but will look into obtaining a permit.

I am still interested to know if anyone else encountered issues with their gun-formers.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Yeah doesn't sound exactly right, I'd either call or email the Tassie police dept firearms branch and get another opinion on the matter as there seems to be conflicting information depending on who you ask or where you look.
    Those were my thoughts as I walked but he's given me all the appropriate contact numbers and information so I might give the firearms dep a ring tomorrow.

Yes, it is best to contact the firearms division directly by email or by phone (all the details are in the first post), as the requirements two years ago were a little vague, but suggested that people in Tasmania would need to be a member of a gun club to own a "replica/imitation" firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoonMaster5000 View Post
    Almost sounds too easy.
    Get it in writing. Go back and politely ask the officer if he could make a quick written statement about what he's advised you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    I am still interested to know if anyone else encountered issues with their gun-formers.
    I have heard from a very reliable source that there have been some people in this country who have had their Gunformers seized and incinerated.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

I have heard from a very reliable source that there have been some people in this country who have had their Gunformers seized and incinerated.
    Definitely has happened.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/toy-t...70511-c65.html