Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who the heck is Victorion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post

That is Victorion.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    No, being obsessed with a game where grown men run around an oval in tiny tiny shorts - THAT is Victorian

The name initially bugged me.
    <insert rant about hybrid Latin and Greek nomenclature>
    Then I realised that it's really no better or worse than what Hasbro did during G1 with names like "Superion*," so it's actually pretty accurate to G1 naming practice!

--------------------------------------------------------
    *The full Greek equivalent would be Hyperion.

Of the three names to be voted on the poll, Victorion was the least silly. It even sounds slightly Masterforce-y.

For reference the other names were Slammoth and Quakebreak.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I'm SO glad that "Slammoth" didn't get voted in. And I'm surprised that Hasbro would even considered Slammoth given its colloquial/slang meaning. Even worse if it'd been female! Hasbro won't use Slag's original name, despite the fact that he's a male Dinobot whose can reduce metal to molten slag with his fire breath (thus it's a direct reference to his ability, not her^his promiscuity), but they were fine with the possibility that they might have had a female character named Slammoth?! Unless she transforms into a mammoth who... slams... I don't even...

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    No, being obsessed with a game where grown men run around an oval in tiny tiny shorts - THAT is Victorian
    Someone's been watching the games faaaar too closely. Not that there's anything wrong with that
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Someone's been watching the games faaaar too closely. Not that there's anything wrong with that
    Actually living in a tiny VIC rural town I'm almost a pariah as I don't really follow AFL that much

I am really looking forward to Victorion. An all female combiner will be sensational. As previously said I too wish they were Decepticons. IDW's approach to explaining female transformers has been interesting and also the relationships that Transformers can have between each other... "Conjunx Endura" and "Amica Endura" I found touching and really a broadening feature of Transformer lore.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm SO glad that "Slammoth" didn't get voted in. And I'm surprised that Hasbro would even considered Slammoth given its colloquial/slang meaning. Even worse if it'd been female! Hasbro won't use Slag's original name, despite the fact that he's a male Dinobot whose can reduce metal to molten slag with his fire breath (thus it's a direct reference to his ability, not her^his promiscuity), but they were fine with the possibility that they might have had a female character named Slammoth?! Unless she transforms into a mammoth who... slams... I don't even...
    I wonder if it was a case of knowing the name they wanted, so they grabbed two of the worst names possible to make their preferred on the most popular?

Or their marketing department has a limited scope when it comes to checking out what words can mean outside of their little corner of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    I wonder if it was a case of knowing the name they wanted, so they grabbed two of the worst names possible to make their preferred on the most popular?
    Kelloggs did the same with their "vote in the new colour Froot Loop" about 15-20 years ago... they obviously wanted blue to win by having the other choices be boring white and dark green (they already had a light green).