Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic review: Robots in Disguise ongoing

Yeah, I enjoyed this issue. Seeing Sky-Byte come in was a pleasant surprise... although I found his Haiku was a bit ... odd (it had a 4-8-4 syllable structure instead of 5-7-5; although it did have the nature reference which does make it a proper Haiku and not a Senryu which was the faux pas he made in his first appearance in Car Robot (as nitpicked by Fire Convoy ); also neat to see them putting in more known characters as NAILs instead of just inventing random generic nobodies like "Noddy" (oh, now he's called Tappet?! ) and... Hipotank (what's a hipo?! Is it a corruption of "hippo(s)"; Greek for horse? ). The Wheelie reference was neat.

Oh, and more transforming!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Issue five was brilliant. Sky Byte is the outsider observer poet without the bias of any of the three factions, and this issue continues to makes it clear that there are no easy answers for either the Autobots or Decepticons. Even if the Decepticons did want to 'change' they are third-class citizens under an Autobot militia who can't risk trusting their former enemies and removing their inhibitor/deterrence chips. (Or can they?)
    The current socio-political climate is pretty much like how I've long imagined Cybertron to be like after the end of the Great War and signing of the Pax Cybertronia -- where former Decepticons are treated as an underclass, which eventually leads to the formation of the politically underrepresented and socially marginalised Predacons, culminating in the Beast Wars 300 years later.

It'd be kinda neat if something similar happened here... like maybe former-Decepticon Sky-Byte could be one of the founding members of the Predacons? </pipe.dream>

It was an alright closing issue for the first mini-arc.

Nice retcon/futurecon of that catch-up issue IDW pumped out that was set in the future.

Again it revolves more around Prowl than Bumblebee and the governing of Cybertron. Thankfully Metalhawk is barely in it, but the whole setup of having Starscream hanging about is still wasted. There are a few things in this issue that are wasted.

Sure the fallout of Arcee will come back to the fore in the not too distant future when this book is getting cancelled for diminished sales.

Not sure if bringing Pax back into the fold so early on is a good idea, when there is so much more that could be looked at (They didnt have to wait until Decepticon month to have a bigger focus on the cons, this is their new society too.

Art is still not as grabbing as MtMtE though I am happy to report it does not fluctuate between super detailed and bland as much as the last issue.

Wonder why they went with a 5 story arc, rather than an actual ongoing like MtMtE ?
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Wonder why they went with a 5 story arc, rather than an actual ongoing like MtMtE ?
    probably because of the diminished sales and the lack of actually having a good story line that flows or is as enjoyable as its sister issue
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    probably because of the diminished sales and the lack of actually having a good story line that flows or is as enjoyable as its sister issue
    How is MTMTE performing in comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    How is MTMTE performing in comparison?
    Sharky and Kup, they're not doing too differently at all - with the respective issue #2s for example, MTMTE only sold 16 more copies than RID. And certainly by only issue #5 they wouldn't have that information in time to change the story, art and solicitations in time. It's a five-issue arc because it was written as a five-issue arc. Likewise, despite being an ongoing, MTMTE's first arc ends in #5 after a climax, with a resolution neatly tying up Ratchet's story. This too is so the TPB (Death of Op + MTMTE #1-5) has a strong and clear ending.

The most recent statistics on TF comic sales were:

149th bestselling comic for the month - TRANSFORMERS MORE THAN MEETS EYE ONGOING #4. 12,053 copies

150th - TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE ONGOING #4. 11,896 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post

The most recent statistics on TF comic sales were:

149th bestselling comic for the month - TRANSFORMERS MORE THAN MEETS EYE ONGOING #4. 12,053 copies

150th - TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE ONGOING #4. 11,896 copies.
    Thanks for that but I am afraid that I have no frame of comparison. I know those are not fantastic numbers but where do they sit when it comes to average to good sales numbers?

I would hate for the series to be cancelled due to poor sales only to be replaced by something utterly retarded.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It's simply following the trend set by most other publishers (ie the big two).

Due to costs increasing, tpbs/hc's now regularly have 4-5 issues, whereas two years ago, these same books were consistent 6 issue collections.

So no, nothing to do with 'quality' issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Thanks for that but I am afraid that I have no frame of comparison. I know those are not fantastic numbers but where do they sit when it comes to average to good sales numbers?
    It's pretty good and the sales are solid - in April that made MTMTE IDW's strongest non-Ninja Turtle ongoing. And I'm pretty sure it's not going to be cancelled or revamped any time soon - the same company keeps the G.I. Joe titles going on much lower numbers.

Love the direction #6 took. This probably would have been it's own mini series a few months ago, ala Bumblebee and Ironhide. As much as it would have been nice to leave Prime/Pax alone for longer, the direction this book takes is different and engaging.

It is a series that really ties itself into both the Furmanverse and Chaos stories, and does a great job of bonding them together, in a way that the AHM Coda wishes it could have.

I'll not say much more for a few more days regarding the content, but I thought the character choices were excellent, it is fantastic to see the Green and orange bots again, and we get to revisit a planet only visited in a Spotlight that I thought we would never have another mention of. Now to see if the shadowing in that spotlight can be woven into the RiD story.
    Art is by Livio, who is responsible for the Chaos and (I think) Autocracy, so he is a bit of an IDW recent favourite. Art suits the issue and the almost mystery/spy thriller vibe this story has.

It is a very quick read, it is one of those sisue that the text is used to move the story along. The characters try their best to give a cliff's notes version of the events of years old stories, but if you only jumped into the books with the beginning of RiD and MtMtE you may be a little confused until more backstory is revealed in coming issues.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I'll not say much more for a few more days regarding the content, but I thought the character choices were excellent, it is fantastic to see the Green and orange bots again,
    It is Good to see these characters return, this looks like a good story to follow.

i like this version of Pax too he seems more prime like then prime was the weight of the universe lifted from his shoulders has re invigorated him.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy