Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Government finally asking if gamers want an R rating

Default Government finally asking if gamers want an R rating - updated

Just saw a story on this on news.com.au but iPod is about to die. About time we got an R classification.

Update:aliens be predator 2 has been cleared for. MS classification. Ore ordered my hunter edition today
    Last edited by Dkaris; 22nd December 2009 at 09:45 PM.
    ~

I'll second that motion. I read a statement from Eb games saying that basically left 4 dead 2 sales were abysmal due to the censoring and it's really cut them deep. In our economic state I should think that the government should be doing all that it can to keep gamers money (which is a $1b industry in Australia) within our economy instead of forcing us to importing, piracy and the general need for sending our money elsewhere

We better get an R rating for games, they need to realise not all games are played by people under the age of 18.

And I agree with Linthart, I read what EB had to say about it and agree. More people would resort to importing/pirating the game because they don't want the censored abortion that is the version we have been given. If I want a game, I want to play it the way that the creators intended, and not a watered down version of it.

Sounds like the government is gunna let us have a R18 rating on games but then try to censor our internet! Ahhh cant win!

One of the crazy things is all this is the double-standards going on; films have an R rating but games don't.

The logic that by not introducing an R rating for games in order to "protect" children is also flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    One of the crazy things is all this is the double-standards going on; films have an R rating but games don't.

The logic that by not introducing an R rating for games in order to "protect" children is also flawed.
    Most parents don't even realise that there is no R rating for video games. Ridiculous innit.

Have your say everyone, the more we say we want one, they will have to take it seriously.

most parents dont realize there are child lock features on ps3 and 360
    ~

Yeah it sucks... It's taking forever for my import of Left4Dead2 to arrive...

Apparently it's pretty simple to unlock the restriction on the Australian PC censored version anyway.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

In regard to the banned title Alien Vs predator 2, its now been given an MA banned and not censored or any less gory than the rest of the world.
    ~

This is great news for all of us adult gamers - if they actually take it seriously.

From memory, an R classification has been considered many times before however a senator in SA opposed it blocking the move. I think he may be retiring from politics which is perhaps the reason this is being revisited.

It really doesn't make sense to not have one considering most people are importing their games and the local distributors are missing out on making money. This would also help protect Australian jobs.

At the end of the day, it's up to the parents to filter what their kids watch and play, and it shouldn't be up to any government to make such decisions.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]