Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2030353637383940

Thread: Comic reviews: IDW More Than Meets The Eye ongoing

I'm really new to this. I haven't bought a Transformers comic for nearly 20 years. I found myself not knowing what was going on with all these new figures that I was buying who had back stories that made no sense to me.

Then they had a sale on 62 issues of MTMTE and the other one, so I got them to read on my iPad.

The comments above have been good to read, but I find myself a bit stuck on some things. I am up to Issue 5 (I think) of MTMTE and so far I like the story but I'm a bit unsure about the attitude to death of fellow bots. Rodimus keeps saying "Not on my watch" etc, but they keep dying and he doesn't seem to care. I first thought there was a real Star Trek Original Series vibe to the story (Rodimus = Kirk, Ultra Magnus = Spock, Ratchet = McCoy, Drift = Sulu(?)) but Kirk was always hurt by the loss of a crewman.

Then in the plague episode where Drift cuts up the patient who was looking for help - there was just no reaction to the cold-blooded murder of Dent. No shock at the killing, no attempt to justify it as euthanasia, nothing. I don't know if Drift is punished for this later, but I suspect not.

Is this just a normal part of IDW? I'm afraid reading the comics might be a mistake for me, rather than just learning the gloss of the characters from the biographies, etc.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

MTMTE has been going for 30 issues so far, including one annual.

Just keep reading it, MTMTE is one of the best Transformers comics ever made, and there is a lot of stuff seeded at the start of this series which starts making sense around issue 17 onwards.

The writer of this series, James Roberts, does spend a few issues just getting the characters, especially unused TF characters, fleshed out at the start, but as I said, you will be rewarded.

Rodimus is no Kirk. He's pretty bad at his job and this is an ongoing plot point. We see funerals as the series goes on. If there's any concern about death is that it's really hard to kill a TF (and that becomes a plot point too).

As for the Dent scene, that's played as a typical zombie horror type scene, and mostly to show that Drift is a ridiculous sword wielding show off. Ratchet instantly has a go at him for the overreaction. And then the story goes on to show how far Ratchet will go to save life. If Drift doesn't get punished enough well that goes to the pile of evidence that Rodimus is a pretty bad captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Rodimus is no Kirk. He's pretty bad at his job and this is an ongoing plot point. We see funerals as the series goes on. If there's any concern about death is that it's really hard to kill a TF (and that becomes a plot point too).

As for the Dent scene, that's played as a typical zombie horror type scene, and mostly to show that Drift is a ridiculous sword wielding show off. Ratchet instantly has a go at him for the overreaction. And then the story goes on to show how far Ratchet will go to save life. If Drift doesn't get punished enough well that goes to the pile of evidence that Rodimus is a pretty bad captain.
    Very good summation here. Just wait til u catch up man
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

Anyone have any idea how often the comixology TF sales come up? I know I just missed one (my luck) – is it quarterly etc? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Facepunches View Post
    Anyone have any idea how often the comixology TF sales come up? I know I just missed one (my luck) – is it quarterly etc? Thanks again.
    They often have sales, one every couple of months, but it varies each time what is on sale. MTMTE probably won't be on sale again for quite a while

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    They often have sales, one every couple of months, but it varies each time what is on sale. MTMTE probably won't be on sale again for quite a while
    Thanks Paulbot, yeah I will just need to keep checking in on the app from time to time I guess.