View Poll Results: AA Tomahawk - worth buying?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 61.90%
  • Only if cheap

5 23.81%
  • No

1 4.76%
  • Not interested

2 9.52%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Toy Review - AA Tomahawk

Got him today He's neat. Nice Vehicle mode armed with a decent amount of weapons, and I dig the scissors/umm...stabber he has. The only thing that bugs me his Top half is G1 and his bottom half is movieverse. But it's a minor nitpick.

Furhter investigation reveals that if you fold the shoulder weapons down and around you can use the machine guns on the end of the winglets to hook the rotor into place on the back.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Vehicle: The helicopter mode looks really sleek and elegant. The black plastic looks good as well, he has a free spinning main rotor, but the back rotor is solid. He has retractable non-spinning landing gear, and he's armed to the teeth, with four missile racks, two gatling guns (at the end of his 'wings'), and two missile launchers (that actually fire, and are very powerful, across a room easily).

Vehicle (front, back and side):

He has a little bit of kibble sticking out at the belly, but it's only noticeable from the side, and even so, it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb, and blends well into the lines and contour of the overall helicopter.

He has a gimmick of sorts, similar to ROTF Recon Ironhide and Generations Darkmount, his missile launchers can detach and has these clips that you can use to clip onto some posts at the back near the back rotor:

Similar to Terradive, he feels a bit small for a deluxe:

Transformation: I really like this transformation, it's simple, elegant, neat and intuitive. You probably wont need any instructions for this, and it's pretty amazing for such a good helicopter to transform into such an attractive robot. You dont need to detach the missile launcher for transformation which is a nice touch.

Robot: Very nice, the helicopter mode is good, but robot is even better. He doesnt have much kibble, just basically the two back rotor halves on either side of his arms (but they can be viewed as forearm guards), and the main rotor on his back (it keeps mostly out of the way anyway). He is a tad bit too skinny for my liking though, and when viewed from the front, it seems that his shoulders are set just a bit too low. Sadly, mine has loose hips which gets annoying when he keeps doing the splits when you touch him.

Robot (front, side and back):

I'm divided on his headsculpt, on one hand it does look cool with the yellow visor, but it's just too round, too much like a ball. He looks like he's smiling when viewed from afar, and so he seems to look so 'friendly'. His light piping should be good as the whole back of his head is transparent blue plastic, but I think the yellow visor in front dulls it a bit.

He has a couple of gimmicks, the first one is his right arm, the back rotor panel on his arm is more than just kibble, it's a pincer or blade (depending on your preferences). Apparently it's a 'snapping' gimmick, but it doesnt really snap (as in, it's not like there is a spring loaded lever where you pull it and the 'pincer' opens and closes), you can just open the two panel halves into a pincer/scissor type weapon or leave it closed for a blade. I prefer the blade, as the pincer looks lame.

Pincer:

Blade:

The other gimmick is a carry over from vehicle mode, his missile launchers can detach and reattached to the sides of his arms, or he can hold them in his hand:

Holding the missile launches in his hand though, the missiles are too long, sticking out the back, so it hinders his ability to bend his elbow.

Even in robot mode, he stills feel a bit small for a deluxe as he is skinny and isnt very bulky.

Robot and Robot Comparison:

Overall: A great toy, I initially didnt want this, but after playing with someone else's I found that it is really awesome. In my opinion, Tomahawk is better than his wavemate Terradive, for just being more solid and better engineered (albeit a bit simple), this is a definite must-buy, as he simply looks stunning in person, even moreso than photos depict him.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

I was disappointed with this figure. The legs under the helicopter are poorly hidden and the transformation is simple and frustrating (those shoulder pads bug me). Different legs and better dealing with the kibble would have improved things. I have got rid of mine but may consider repurchasing this figure cheaply if the repaint is a nice homage (the custom repaints add a lot of value).