Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 919242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    General question, what if...by chance a retail shop was selling a megatron?

I remember a tiny obscure anime shop (won't say where incase they do it again since I like these guys, but I do know they moved since) having an mp05 in robot mode on display, I thought it was beautiful at the time, I wonder what I was on at the time to think that.
    I think I remember seeing MP05 once in a store for $500.

Now, compared to the continued fees needed to legally own a Megatron Transformer, that might seem like good value, but you have to remember that if you get caught with one without the legal approval you'll be in a lot of trouble.

Personally I'm going to try to own it legally.

Hopefully Griffin will be able to find new information of how to be exempted from the fees in Victoria and other states. Or at least the an exemption or reduced amount for the renewal fees every 3 years.

I've personally emailed the licensing regulation regarding the fees numerous times, but their responses so far have been very generic. The most helpful they've been was in clarifying that there are no additional storage requirements other the the imitation firearms section I quoted earlier

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    General question, what if...by chance a retail shop was selling a megatron?
    I don't know about other states, but my understanding of NSW law is that the retailer would also require a permit and safe storage compliance. The toy shouldn't be sitting on a regular toy shelf but stored in a locked display unit. Some TRUs display their MPs in a locked display unit in the games section instead of sticking them on the action figure aisle, and customers need to present a ticket to the counter and have a staff member unlock the cabinet to sell the toy to them. I don't know if retailers are required to ask customers for proof of being a permit holder or not, but that's a good question.

It would never happen with any retail chains here though, as all Transformers that are distributed in Australia come from Hasbro, and while Hasbro do occasionally do special imports (with wonderful English translated bios/instructions ), it would only be figures that wouldn't risk violating any laws in Australia. This is why MP Exhaust was never released here (re: tobacco sponsorship laws).

Pretty sure this is a stupid question but I'll feel stupider () getting my Megatron seized.
    If I order domestically I don't have to worry about the B709?

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post

Now, compared to the continued fees needed to legally own a Megatron Transformer, that might seem like good value, but you have to remember that if you get caught with one without the legal approval you'll be in a lot of trouble.
    I think that may of been the one I saw, sure looked it back in the day, as for the legal wrangling of megatron last I checked trying to import one without the permit only carries the risk of him being seized and destroyed with nothing to actually happen to you, main legal hassle is if you're the one selling.

Could also be an issue if for some reason the police need to do a search on your property, I'm not sure if its back earlier in this thread or elsewhere but most officers *may not* recognize said megatron, unless he's sitting around in gun mode of course.

Truthfully I want to own him legally but judging from your own hurdles I'm not sure what else griffin could do, I'd be happy to fill out a form and a proper cabinet, but every 3 years just to keep him, why can't they just say...I don't know keep a register on people, pay once, go on it, it really does sound like money gouging to me personally (that and my main hurdle is still getting a reference to just sign me off on this )

I'm starting to think I might need to let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee2000 View Post
    Pretty sure this is a stupid question but I'll feel stupider () getting my Megatron seized.
    If I order domestically I don't have to worry about the B709?
    The B709 form is an import permit. If you aren't buying it from overseas, or bringing it into Australia in person, you don't need that Customs form when buying a Megatron toy.

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post
    I am fairly certain I saw a hobby shop in Sydney (the one in Market City that has finally closed in the past 3 months) having it on display for a highly inflated price. I should have checked with them if they had a permit.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Question for Griffin/Goktimus Prime;

I haven't received any response from the Megatron Club. Can I just go ahead and fill out the NSW paperwork without joining the club?

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    I am fairly certain I saw a hobby shop in Sydney (the one in Market City that has finally closed in the past 3 months) having it on display for a highly inflated price. I should have checked with them if they had a permit.
    I think people need a dash of realism - none of these little anime themed hobby stores will have a permit. They wouldn't even know its needed. And why would they - if you weren't a TF collector and knew about this import restriction you'd also be none the wiser as well.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The B709 form is an import permit. If you aren't buying it from overseas, or bringing it into Australia in person, you don't need that Customs form when buying a Megatron toy.
    Thought so, thanks.

Ugh. My latest response from the Licensing regulation department was very condescending with regards to the fee renewing an approval.

The generic Megatron is a imitation weapons is prohibited blah blah blah, and "A person ‘off the street’ who is found to be in possession of an imitation firearm without holding a Prohibited Weapons Approval or covered under a Governor in Council Exemption risks being charged with possession of a prohibited weapon and is therefore possessing the imitation firearm illegally. "

And also the fee is "set by the Control of Weapons Regulations 2011" and covers the cost of "processing, assessing and maintaining a weapons approval, there is no intention to bring in ‘discount’ arrangements for specific weapons."

They just don't seem to want to comprise on the the fees involved at all. The spiel that $188.20 every 3 years covers the cost of having an approval is bullshit, considering NSW charge only $75 for 5 years and can be waived by being a legitimate toy gun collector.