Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Play Arts Kai Thread

Default The Play Arts Kai Thread

Does anyone else collect these? I just got Rorschach from Watchmen as Christmas gift from fellow board member SgtMikeLarry, and he is awesome.

I've got quite a few of these, including most of the Street Fighter line, 2 of the Robocops, Devil May Cry, Man of Steel, DC Variants, Final Fantasy, Arkham City, etc.

Had a couple of bad experiences with bad QC. My Zod had a shoulder snap off with next to no real force, and my Akuma has a leg that keeps popping off. Also some of the stands seem very fragile.

Anyone else a fan? What do you have in your collection, and how has the quality control been?
    Last edited by davieanix; 24th December 2014 at 04:30 PM.

I have a set of four from Mass Effect: Ashley, Garrus, Tali and FemShep. Didn't get MaleShep because one Shepard is enough. It's a pity the line was so limited. I would've also picked up EDI, Joker, Mordin and any of the Krogan if they were ever released. On second thought, I'd probably pick up Miranda and any of the Asari too.

The one fault I've had is a loose ankle on Tali. None of them came with stands so I can't comment on those.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I miss the days when they were just Play Arts: high quality, but also affordable figures. Even the early PAK toys were decently priced compared to the incredible prices we see nowadays.

I have, in no particular order: Lightning (FFXIII), Lightning (FFXIII-2), Odin (FFXIII - the transforming one), Cloud (Dissidia), Gabranth (Dissidia), Tron Riku (Kingdom Hearts 3D), Ezio (Assassin's Creed 2), Armored Batman (Arkham City), and Ichigo Kurosawa (Bleach). I also have a large number of FF and KH figures from the Play Arts days.

I've had a couple of quality "issues". By far the most were with Ezio, who originally was missing his sword. The store I bought it from then had to reorder it to get a replacement, so two weeks later I finally got my toy. Then his leg fell off. Fortunately it was in such a way that I was able to fix it with super-glue. The most distressing, however, was with Ichigo, whose arm broke. I fixed it, but he no longer has an articulated elbow. I've had annoyances with Odin as well, but for a toy that big and fully featured they are minor issues: the stand has had to be super-glued in place for robot mode, but he stands fine on four legs in horse mode; Lightning's hands don't really work to hold the weapons for full-gestalt mode; his torso once broke in a similar fashion to the issue I had with Ezio, but again it was fixable easily with super-glue. I think the Ezio leg and Odin torso issues are examples of the glue used in the factory failing as they were both fixable without impinging on the functionality of the toys.

In general I very much enjoy my PAK figures, but there are price and quality concerns. When you get a good quality one, though, they really blow other figures out of the water. The sculpting, paintwork, and articulation are top notch. I just wish we could still get the slightly smaller, more affordable figures we did in the PA days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    I miss the days when they were just Play Arts: high quality, but also affordable figures. Even the early PAK toys were decently priced compared to the incredible prices we see nowadays.
    This is true. The price increases have been tough. Even when I bought my Ryu, he was $60 or so. Guile was $110. Rorschach was $160.

Big fan of the line but haven't strayed too far beyond the Halo figures. They are all awesome but the one gripe is the way the gun attaches means the peg is likely to break if they fall.

Agreed on the stands. Recently got DC Kai Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman figures and the stands are no better than they used to be. One of mine snapped within a few days. They're only serviceable if ur happy with the figures standing elevator style

Wanted to try the Mass Effect ones but reviews and pics of Male Shepherd were so bad I stayed away. Kind of regretting it but QC issues plagued Tali and Garrus too.

The recent DC figures were all pretty great and I'd get more but I try my best to have avert focused collection habit so won't get too many more. I generally stick to the Halo ones but at the moment am looking for the Play Arts deus ex Jensen and Vanquish figures but other than that, have to stay away as appealing as they are
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Collect mostly the Batman line, so Arkham Asylum/City/Origins and Joker and Batman from The Dark Knight/Rises, all great, the only problem I've ever had was my Joker has 2 left feet

Arkham City Catwoman is a beautiful figure, highly recommended!

Also have Raiden from MGR, he is AWESOME!

But yeah, the price now prevents me from buying anymore, I really wanted Deathstroke and Batman from Arkham Origins, but at $150 + it's just not affordable...

Has there been an explanation for the sudden increase in price??

Actually saw some of these in person when I was cruising around Akihabara. I had no idea they were so big! I'd like to like them, but the knees really put me right off.

Oh and the price.

Oh and a lot of the time the designs.

I have the alien colonial marine figures and I love the size and detail, have the new predator on pre order, can't wait for that and the variant. The new Darth Vader looks pretty awesome to.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Wanted to try the Mass Effect ones but reviews and pics of Male Shepherd were so bad I stayed away. Kind of regretting it but QC issues plagued Tali and Garrus too.
    I know what you mean. They just don't paint darker skin tones well. Commander Shepard and Ashley both look like they have black eyes.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I really want to collect the Final Fantasy characters... But not till I slow down my TF MP's collection

And yeah wow the prices are pretty nuts.