Page 138 of 154 FirstFirst ... 118128133134135136137138139140141142143148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Just saw the trailer for Tolkien and it's gotten me excited for this film. It's true that Tolkien, a hyperpolyglot*, invented his own languages before he started writing his tales of Middle Earth. Interesting to see that it will also look at the history of the founding of Inklings, which boasted many members who went on to become acclaimed writers, including C.S. Lewis (author of the Narnia Chronicles) and many more. Tolkien was very much a nerd before his time. His views on environmentalism in a time when nobody really cared about that sort of thing was also quite visionary.

I hope that this film will do his life justice and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Greek for "many tongues"; a person who has mastered an unusually high number of languages -- the minimum number varies but I think the current consensus is 6 or more languages at a fluent level

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Just saw the trailer for Tolkien and it's gotten me excited for this film. It's true that Tolkien, a hyperpolyglot*, invented his own languages before he started writing his tales of Middle Earth. Interesting to see that it will also look at the history of the founding of Inklings, which boasted many members who went on to become acclaimed writers, including C.S. Lewis (author of the Narnia Chronicles) and many more. Tolkien was very much a nerd before his time. His views on environmentalism in a time when nobody really cared about that sort of thing was also quite visionary.

I hope that this film will do his life justice and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Greek for "many tongues"; a person who has mastered an unusually high number of languages -- the minimum number varies but I think the current consensus is 6 or more languages at a fluent level
    I guess hyperpolyglot can fall under philologist of which he was considered the best in the world when it comes to covering western Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwarp View Post
    Just watched

Great first minute then just ok IMO!
    I just put this in my watch list on Friday.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Watched Solo finally.

Not bad. I mean, it wasn’t ground breaking but it was miles ahead of Rogue One (that’s not a high bar though). My only real issue with it was that took all the life events that shaped Han into the man we met at the beginning of episode 4 and crammed them essentially into a weeks timeframe. I also didn’t like the implication at the end in regard to him at what would become the rebellion.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Watched Captain Marvel the other day, I enjoyed it, I think it’s on Par with the majority of the MCU origin stories. I don’t think there is anything spectacular about it, but there’s nothing overall bad about it either. I thought Brie Larson did a good job. Story was done well and I liked the plot twists. It’s a solid starter which I would rank somewhere in the middle of the MCU offerings. The de-ageing effects on Samuel Jackson were convincing, the only thing that gave it away was his physical performance, he still moved like an old guy which would be pretty hard to try and remedy.

Have to admit, I’m pretty pumped for Endgame now
    Last edited by Meister; 22nd March 2019 at 01:32 PM.
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

On Endgame, saw the new trailer which I think was done well, didn’t really give anything away, it’s how a trailer is supposed to be, apparently the movie is meant to be around 3 hours long and the footage used in all the trailers all occurs in the first 20 minutes, which makes me even more excited for it. What stood out though was Jeremy Renner, who looks prettty bad ass, and reminded me of his performance in Wind River. He was absolutely brilliant in that movie, really opened my eyes on what an awesome actor he can be.

If you haven’t seen it, I would recommend Wind River as a movie to put on the watch list. It’s a murder mystery, written by the guy who did Sicario and Hell or High Water (which is another epic movie I would recommend - where similarly Chris Pine’s acting chops really came to the surface, also stars Jeff Bridges)
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

Wind river also has scarlet witch in it as both lead characters.

I doubt aalllll the footage is in the first 20 minutes.

Kevin Feige was apparently reported to have said it, but I wouldn’t discount some misdirection on his behalf, or the trailers themselves

The directors have admitted putting false images in their trailers to avoid spoilers, most obvious being the appearance of Hulk in the battle of Wakanda in the IW trailer.

I say good for them, keeps us excited without spoiling too much. I remember being spoiled by the trailer of Attack of the Clones which caused me to avoid trailers for some time thereafter.

The spoiler in the trailer for Xmen Dark Phoenix has me avoiding most trailers atm