Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer/Printing thread

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

No worries

A friend of mine at work bought a 3D printer, but as several have said, it is very expensive for the materials and a pain in the ass to set up. Even then, sometimes the prints aren't perfect and they can vary, dependent on a number of factors.

The end result is generally pretty good though, although he hasn't managed to get a perfect print yet, although almost perfect. However the models need sanding as you can quite easily make out the ridges from the printing process (layer by layer).

I have very little experience with 3D modelling, I've only done a handful of models so far, so I have enormous amounts of respect for people who have mastered the art of 3D computer modelling. It's not easy, and there are copious amounts of tools available, most of which I have no idea how to use. I'm still experimenting, and suspect I will be for a very long time (considering I barely any time lately to pursue that hobby).

My experience with Shapeways has generally been quite good, in terms of getting my model printed, however the cost is quite huge. Especially regarding the shipping. That seems to be the killer.

I would be interested to see the outcome of any models you decide to print, I'm fascinated by some of the designs I've seen on Shapeways, as well as models people create for other purposes, eg gaming, architectural, marketing, showcasing etc. It's just amazing how far graphic design has come, as well as the purposes it is used for.

I would imagine that within the next 5 to 10 years as the technology increases and becomes more widely available, the price of 3D printers and scanners will come down and will be a lot easier to use.

yeah mine can be a temperamental pain if the file to be printed isnt what it wants, but other times it just works perfectly.

Here is a link to a generic weapon for any transformer with a 5mm grip.
    I'm still new at this, tell me what you think.

http://morg176.deviantart.com/art/Ja...253A1389522768

Quote Originally Posted by morg176 View Post
    Here is a link to a generic weapon for any transformer with a 5mm grip.
    I'm still new at this, tell me what you think.

http://morg176.deviantart.com/art/Ja...253A1389522768

hey that turn out good !!! nice .... so how long did it take to print??

It took about 45-50min the second time I printed it. The first time it went all pear shaped.
    Sometimes that happens.

Nice gun morg176.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

I'm designing a stand for my YF-19. When designing interlocking parts, similar to the 2 part SMS stands that come with the Frontier Valks or the MP seeker stands, what sort of clearances (if any) do you leave between the interlocking parts so that they are a snug fit, but don't bind or jam? I'm thinking 0.1mm even if the accuracy for Shapeways printing strong, flexible plastic is only 0.15mm.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I'm designing a stand for my YF-19. When designing interlocking parts, similar to the 2 part SMS stands that come with the Frontier Valks or the MP seeker stands, what sort of clearances (if any) do you leave between the interlocking parts so that they are a snug fit, but don't bind or jam? I'm thinking 0.1mm even if the accuracy for Shapeways printing strong, flexible plastic is only 0.15mm.
    I havent made any interlocking parts yet but as close as you can get is always better I find.
    What is the physical size of the part/parts of the stand you are designing?

You can post here or pm me, either is cool

Question

I've been purchasing a fair number of accessories from Shapeways and I've got plans to purchase more of them.

But I'm now at the point where I have some ideas I want to design myself, since they're kindof personalised.

I did dabble a bit with some of the 3D modelling programs Shapeways recommended, but I couldn't quite get them to work.
    Blender is one that has been consistently irritating me ever since I tried (and failed) to use it to make a Fallout 4 mod.

Does anyone know of a way I can get started into simple design for 3D printing?Ideally with a program that isn't complex.