Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CHECK or REMOVE your old BATTERIES

Exclamation CHECK or REMOVE your old BATTERIES

Over the years people have occasionally asked here about what figures come with batteries, so that they can dig them out before they start leaking (which can damage the toy, but can destroy the electronics first).

One of the projects I wanted to do this year, and to make use of my collection (which kinda just sits there collecting dust), was to compile a reference list of all Transformers toys that came with electronics.

Not only will it help collectors of older figures remove batteries from their figures (hopefully before it is too late) as well as to know which of their sealed or unsealed-boxed figures they have to worry about.... but it will also help collectors know what batteries certain figures need without digging it out and opening it up.

BUT THE IMPORTANT THING RIGHT NOW THOUGH - if you have any Transformers toys with electronics that are older than 4 years - CHECK THEM NOW!

I have found that even as recent as 5 years ago, batteries were already leaking or corroding. Even the Button Cells, which seem to be more resilient than the bigger batteries. I have several Armada-to-Cybertron toys that no longer work because the contacts are corroded from the button cells. They may be fixable, but it is easier and cheaper to prevent it if you can. For the Button Cells that were included with some of the toys, don't think that those white pull-tags some of them had to prevent the Cells from going flat early, helped - the Unicron Trilogy toys I left the tags in, leaked more than those I used (which means they now never work).
    If you aren't a sealed collector, and you aren't using the electronic gimmick on your older toys or have them in storage - REMOVE THEM!
    (if you are a sealed collector, leave them, as the value of the toy comes from it never being opened... not, if it's electronic gimmick works)

To begin checking your collection, go to the Battery reference listing in the Matrix section, and use it as a checklist (maybe even print it out and tick them off as you go).
    FEEL FREE TO SHARE THAT LIST WITH OTHER FANS OR FANSITES.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?
    Have I missed a figure? Did I get something wrong? Have I included a figure that shouldn't be on there?
    Let me know, either here or on the Reference List.
    Some figures I don't have, so if you see a ? next to a name or its battery listing, let me know if you know what it should be.
    Generally, button cells were included, while larger batteries were less likely to be included.

How about some photos to illustrate how serious this is?

The box of batteries so far, and that's only about halfway on the list.

Some of the worst ones I've removed (plus a couple battery tags for reference).

Beast Machines Supreme Cheetor.

Armada Super(pants) Optimus Prime.

Powerlinx (redeco) Jetfire weapon (this was one I never removed the tag from, and it was more corroded than the Jetfire weapon I did use)

If you need help finding batteries on a figure on the list, just post a query on the Reference List.

FINALLY - please be mindful of the environment. Batteries aren't actually meant to be thrown in with the general waste, so if you end up with a box full of old or leaking batteries, try to dispose of them somewhere that collects them (I think mobile phone outlets do, and maybe electronics stores or dedicated battery kiosks). It might seem like a lot of effort for something negligible to the rest of the landfill, but sometimes a small movement can generate change (to have more options for easier disposal of batteries in a greener manner).
    Last edited by griffin; 21st March 2021 at 06:08 PM.

My local council recently did an annual e-waste collection where they collect batteries, computers, mobile phones etc. for recycling. Maybe contact your local council to find out when your next scheduled e-waste collection day is. It's quite simple, you just load your car with e-waste, drive in - you don't get out of your car - the staff just take your e-waste out and then you drive off. It's like a waste collection drive-thru. The only down side is the queues, so bring something to amuse yourself while you're waiting in your car.
    E-waste collection day at Sydney's Mosman
    http://www.ewaste.com.au/

I did a battery purge about 2 years ago and yeah, some of my toys' electronics now no longer work. I found that none of my toys with watch batteries had any problems though - but I took them out for safe measure. But just out of curiosity, would it be okay to leave watch batteries inside toys or do they also leak/corrode like other batteries?

It might be neat if Hasbro considered incorporating non-electronic motorised gimmicks into Transformer toys. Does anyone remember StarCom? Those toys were cool - they had motorised gimmicks that allowed their vehicles to transform, but they were completely non-electronic (some were activated by magnets in the action figures).

Hmm, intersting as I was reading an old blog post about this a couple of days ago. IT was mainly interested in the MISB side of things though. ANyhoo, I managed to dig out my RID Supreme Primal and Instructions and took some photos.
    Lucky I did, as there were signs of leakage.

Oh and it take 3 AAA batteries

Place him face down. The batteries are in the back pack. Release the jets.

With a small philips head screwdriver, there are two screw. The other is on the opposite side.

I found it a little fiddly to get the cover out from under the hhinge.

There they are.

Interesting mine had begun to leak. I think they should be able to be cleaned up though as it wasn't too bad. Odd as I had this cranking not much less than a couple of months ago...

The horrific results...

On the plus side, I managed to get a tooth brush in there and give the compartment a little clean up and he still works fine and dandy. My mum's camera had some batteries that leaked really badly. I thought it was toast, but I got in there with a bit of wet/dry paper and gave the contacts a light sanding, cleaned all the crud out and it came good. Nothing had actually leaked into the electrics at that time though, so they can be cleaned up depending on the amount of leakage.
    Last edited by Tetsuwan Convoy; 2nd October 2011 at 05:12 PM.

As Tets mentioned, the good news is that it's not difficult to fix the aftermath of a battery leak. The effect is usually superficial.

All you need to do is 'polish' the corroded metal until you remove the 'rust' with a bit of sand paper or a file until you reach reach the shiny surface. Your toy will work once again. I have done that with several toys including a few Omega Supremes and Sky Lynx.

Edit: Made a mistake on who wrote the post above.
    Last edited by kup; 2nd October 2011 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks for that Tets. I saw those two screws there, but didn't think that was the battery cover, as all other battery covers only had one screw.
    Since it has the bigger batteries, I'll get to mine straight away. Like you, mine still makes the noise, but those bigger batteries leak faster than the button cells.

As for resurrecting the electronics by cleaning up the contacts - it's good to hear, but I fear I may not ever have the time to do that with all the ones that no longer work... especially if it is a gimmick that I'm not likely to ever need again.
    I like showing off the gimmicks to others, but it isn't worth having batteries in them all the time to do that, because the way they have battery covers screwed down it is too time consuming to be able to just put them in when needed.
    (Gen1 toys were great, with battery covers that could just unclip and easily re-attach quickly)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Thanks for that Tets. I saw those two screws there, but didn't think that was the battery cover, as all other battery covers only had one screw.
    Since it has the bigger batteries, I'll get to mine straight away. Like you, mine still makes the noise, but those bigger batteries leak faster than the button cells.

As for resurrecting the electronics by cleaning up the contacts - it's good to hear, but I fear I may not ever have the time to do that with all the ones that no longer work... especially if it is a gimmick that I'm not likely to ever need again.
    I like showing off the gimmicks to others, but it isn't worth having batteries in them all the time to do that, because the way they have battery covers screwed down it is too time consuming to be able to just put them in when needed.
    (Gen1 toys were great, with battery covers that could just unclip and easily re-attach quickly)
    It's ok. As long as the corrosion is stopped, it will not progress any further so you could always feel reassured that technically the electronics aren't ruined. You can always grab one, clean up the contacts making them conductive again to revive the gimmicks.

I actually tried doing that with the BotCon Arcee voice-box thingy - a few years ago I took out the batteries, but it had already corroded the contacts. I scrubbed off as much of the corrosion as I could get at, but still didn't work. I wonder if an actual (chemical) metal polish might work, or would it probably be more damaging to the delicate components I wonder.

I've got to get around to doing this myself. Personally i like the fact that buying Transformers means i've always got a supply of AA's in case our torch or wii remote goes dead

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I actually tried doing that with the BotCon Arcee voice-box thingy - a few years ago I took out the batteries, but it had already corroded the contacts. I scrubbed off as much of the corrosion as I could get at, but still didn't work. I wonder if an actual (chemical) metal polish might work, or would it probably be more damaging to the delicate components I wonder.
    I am yet to find a toy with battery corrosion that is beyond fixing and I have restored several. Try again and just make sure that all contact points have clear exposed metal otherwise it could be something more affecting it.

hahah time to take mine out too