Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Beast Wars Megatron

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I'm not too sure it would. I think if the other MPs do well - particularly the BW ones - but Megatron shelfwarms but then rushes off the shelves at a sale price, you'd have to be pretty wilfully blind to fail to see that the price-point was the sore spot.
    Thing is that I can't see it shelf-warming at all. This fandom has a lot of whales out there with very poor impulse control.

Something like Road Rage shelf-warming makes sense because she essentially has no backstory however BW Megatron is one of the most popular characters.
    Last edited by FruitBuyer; 4th July 2018 at 02:25 PM.

Takara is shooting themselves in the foot here.

The crazy thing is once people start to drop off getting every (insert criteria) MP it becomes easier to skip others in their now-incomplete line.

Alternatively, a KO becomes very attractive and could (as has happened with MP-36) even be better quality. People become more accepting of KOs.

Also, i think less people would buy a T-wrecks repaint (or any repaint) of such an expensive figure.

So that is an issue for Takara if they want to ‘premium the shit’ outta Megatron.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

With the limited repaint opportunity, that's why it's more expensive I feel. I don't think the new Op will follow suit of being expensive, they can do a million repaints of him and people will eat him up. Those that want this Megatron will buy him regardless

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Even at 30,000 I think is questionable that people wil just buy it.
    I don’t know, I am glad I am not into bw.

I had friends skipping dinobot already so I am assuming this will be a skip for what they asking.

For me anything above the 25,000 jpy mark I start questioning if I really need one.

I think everyone needs to relax, it's not actually going to hit shelves at 35,000. The RRP on MP Dinobot is Y30240, most of us have it preordered at Y21,340.

The last few MPs I preordered were 20-30% less than RRP too.
    MP-10 Black Convoy - 13824 -> 9980
    MP-22 Ultra Magnus - 19440 -> 13720
    MP-36 Megs 24780 -> 19270

In bricks and mortar stores prices were typically 1-2000yen less than what we pay online as well, so I really don't think that Takara Tomy expects anyone to pay full RRP.

Expect BW Megatron to go up for preorder around 25,000-26000 I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokaze View Post
    I think everyone needs to relax, it's not actually going to hit shelves at 35,000. The RRP on MP Dinobot is Y30240, most of us have it preordered at Y21,340.

The last few MPs I preordered were 20-30% less than RRP too.
    MP-10 Black Convoy - 13824 -> 9980
    MP-22 Ultra Magnus - 19440 -> 13720
    MP-36 Megs 24780 -> 19270

In bricks and mortar stores prices were typically 1-2000yen less than what we pay online as well, so I really don't think that Takara Tomy expects anyone to pay full RRP.

Expect BW Megatron to go up for preorder around 25,000-26000 I reckon
    The point is that Masterpiece is only getting more expensive with each release.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirokaze View Post
    ... so I really don't think that Takara Tomy expects anyone to pay full RRP.
    Except for those buying from US stores who are charging above RRP.

Even with discounts, it's still a large chunk of money, particularly given TT's cavalier attitude to QC.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    Thing is that I can't see it shelf-warming at all. This fandom has a lot of whales out there with very poor impulse control.

Something like Road Rage shelf-warming makes sense because she essentially has no backstory however BW Megatron is one of the most popular characters.
    It's not just Roadrage though. The rerelease of Ultra Magnus has been going for as low as ¥12,000 on clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    Except for those buying from US stores who are charging above RRP.

Even with discounts, it's still a large chunk of money, particularly given TT's cavalier attitude to QC.
    Given that Japanese etailers like HLJ allow depositless preorders and have holding and bulk shipping services available, I simply have one question in response to that statement.

Why are people still dealing with US online sellers for Japanese releases?

Given that Japanese etailers like HLJ allow depositless preorders and have holding and bulk shipping services available, I simply have one question in response to that statement.

Why are people still dealing with US online sellers for Japanese releases?
    Some states in the US get charged import duty, so with shipping from Japan it ends up eroding any savings, so they just end up buying locally because it's only slightly more expensive.

The new GST laws are going to hurt us in the same way. That 20% discount from HLJ is going to get eaten up pretty quickly once the GST and shipping gets added.

It's not just Roadrage though. The rerelease of Ultra Magnus has been going for as low as ¥12,000 on clearance.
    A re-release can't be compared with the initial run.