Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay "second chance" scam

Default Ebay "second chance" scam

This isn't the first time, and won't be the last, but this happens enough to make mention of it.

When you bid on an auction, and lose it, but then get a second-chance offer by the seller, claiming that the winner didn't pay... if the offer is at your maximum-bid price instead of what you would have won it at now that the winner's bid is void, it indicates shill bidding by someone they know, to get more for their item. (shill bidding are bids by that person on a different account, or a friend, to bump up a final bid price... and if it goes over the price of the legit bidder, a second-chance offer is sent out at their maximum bid amount)

So even if it wasn't shill bidding, if the winner is a deadbeat bidder, their bid is void. Remove that deadbeat bidder from the bid history listing, and the true winner would have won it at a dollar above the next highest bidder, not at their maximum. If the seller was honourable, they would concede that "legit" winning bid amount and offer the item at that price... NOT at their maximum bid amount, just because it was the amount the winner was willing to pay.
    But that's the point of bidding - to get something cheaper than the maximum we are willing to pay... or else we'd just find a "buy it now" item and be done with it. To win something for less than your maximum is the bonus element of bidding, so to have someone cheat with shill-bidding, or take advantage of an actual deadbeat bidder, is something that I'm not impressed with, or accept.

About 8 years ago, before Ebay started hiding usernames, it was easy to prove shill bidding, because I was bidding on a rare Transformers toy that was mispelt in the title... so as expected, I was winning at a really great price, until the last day, and someone outbid me. I didn't think much of it until I got a second-chance offer for my maximum (which was over $100 more than what I would have won it at, if the winner's bid was void). I asked why he was asking for my maximum instead of what I would have won it at, and he refused to respond, and then blocked me from bidding on the relisted item. Looking at his other auctions, the same bidder was bumping up his other auctions, even after the one I bid on, so since he didn't block him (but blocked me instead), it was obvious that was a shill/second-chance bid scam.

That was the one I remember most because it was a toy I really wanted, and I've had a few since then (including a Motorvator from New Zealand that I also really wanted)... but this is one from today.
    I bid on this item at $55, and I wasn't really fussed about getting it. I actually forgot that I even bid on it until tonight when I got a second chance offer for $55 (I haven't checked my email for a few days).
    I had a look at the bid history, and if the winning bidder was a deadbeat (not paying) or a shill bidder (to bump up the price or find out my maximum), and they were removed, I would have won it for $39.90.

For those who still use ebay for bidding on items, have you ever had this situation occur to you, and if so, did you reject it or accept it?
    For me, I reject the offer, even if it was something I really wanted (like the rare JP figure 8 years ago or the more recent Motorvator)... and if they relist, I have another go at it, at the same bid amount (to see if it happens again).

Has anyone ever been offered a second-chance offer at what they would have won the item at? Does that sort of honourable thing even happen on ebay?

That's one dealer to avoid though (for taking advantage of a deadbeat or shill bidder working out my maximum), which is a pity, as it is hard to find Americans shipping rarer items outside of America, on ebay.
    Last edited by griffin; 3rd July 2012 at 12:40 AM.

yeah it use to happen to me alot but i never accepted a 2nd chance offers cause i'd been ripped of before so now i buy from the one seller in the USA and we have an agreed price on items and i've never overpayed for any TF's i actually pay 80% less thab if i was buying from a local seller.

Same thing happened to me on a pair of Recaro seats. Would've won them for $700 had the seller not shill bidded the price up to over $1000 which was my maximum bid. I just ignored all correspondence from him; these people don't deserve a response.

I've heard of this practice going on but it's never happened to me and I've been using eBay now for over 10 years.

Having said that though, due to some recent bad experiences, I have stayed away of late.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Its quite obvious when it does happen, the majority of the time the shill bidder has less than 20 feedback. If I see a zero bidder on something I just don't bid.

When I lost my job recently I turned out to be the winner of an auction - I wasn't in the right mindset to run and check ebay and remove my bids incase I did win anything. I told the seller I couldn't pay and they did a second chance to the next highest bidder. Also as a seller I have had a few non correspondant winners so if the correct process is followed some items found new homes with second chance bidders.

Its not a perfect system but it stll gives the seller and buyer a good chance to make a deal. If anyone is not comfortable with a second chance offer or think something is a bit dodgy then don't accept the offer!

I don't have a problem with Second-chance offers... I think they are a great system for both seller and legit winner, if done properly. But sellers don't seem to use them properly, as it allows them to get a better price by shill bidding or taking advantage of deadbeat bidders.
    If they used it properly, and honestly, then I'd be a returning customer and tell others about their items, as a sign of my respect.

i have has a similar experience where a "second chance" offer was made after been the second highest bidder however the seller mentioned he had multiples of the item for sale and if i would want one at the end of auction value,

this i did not accept.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Hadn't really thought about this before, not buying from ebay that often and all (4 times in the last 5 years). But good to know.

Thanks Griff
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I received a second chance offer on a group of Henkei seekers a couple of years back. The seller told me the winning bidder reckoned he was the victim of shill bidding. I wasn't complaining.

As a seller I've also sent a second chance offer out. From what I recall it was for the next highest bid.

it happened to me recently . i was battling it out for a certain tf (that ended up going for 255.) i got the second chance offer for my 250 max bid, Seller claimed to have 2 identical items.
    i asked him for photo's of the other item and it was a indeed a different item (going off marks on the box etc.) so i bought it. a few days later he had another (or the first one again)up for sale.
    i put a bid of 150 on it and it went for 155. but as you can guess, no second chance offer this time around.. He's now asking 249 "buy it now" and has 2 or 3 up atm.
    on the other side, i was selling a few star wars figs and had some dick bidding it up. After no contact (after it had all ended) i was going to offer it to the next guy, but couldn't figure out how to do a second chance offer for his first real bid before the shill bidder had started his frenzy..
    i could've contacted him i guess but thought that would look a bit suss.
    in the end i re-listed it.