Page 1 of 33 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread

Default Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread

As Paulbot, Blackie, Stompy and myself were discussing today, the board seems really bereft of toy discussion so this thread seems like a good idea, like the old Animated comments thread.

I'll kick it off:

I absolutely adore Silverbolt. Having played with a friends last week, I'd been itching and itching to play with my own. I concede that the transformation is seriously excremental, hell I gave it a Transformation score of 14/140 in my DB, but the robot mode and alt mode are absolutely gorgeous.

Powerglide at this point is pretty impressive. I think he fascinates me the most from a technical point of view of the Classics 2.0 Ultras. Excellent transformation and a very solid toy. It surpassed my expectations immensely at first glance.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

i'm not really a fan of silverbolt, the character never really interested me so neither does the toy, but it does look like a very faithful representation..

powerglide looks pretty sweet, the only thing that turns me off is the jet engine "breasts" in robot mode.. whats other peoples thoughts on that?..

and to anyone who has onslaught, what are peoples thoughts on him? he's the one who i'm most interested in, and will most likely get, but just after a few thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
    i'm not really a fan of silverbolt, the character never really interested me so neither does the toy, but it does look like a very faithful representation..

powerglide looks pretty sweet, the only thing that turns me off is the jet engine "breasts" in robot mode.. whats other peoples thoughts on that?..

and to anyone who has onslaught, what are peoples thoughts on him? he's the one who i'm most interested in, and will most likely get, but just after a few thoughts..
    I think Onslaught's a very solid toy. However, he disappoints me b/c he has an annoyingly simple transformation that is more fiddly than it is intuitive or technical. I guess I feel let down by Onslaught b/c I had huge expectations for him. The other problem I don't like is his head which other than when it is in a 45 degree arc looks pretty retarded. The neck just seems awfully awkward. However, overall, its still got strong articulation (though not the waist which is what Powerglide surprisingly has) and a very even robot mode.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I totally agree on Powerglide. He was my least looked forward to Ultra as the pictures of his bot and alt mode looked really disproportioned. I got him anyway and was surprised at the ingeneous conversion. Also the alt mode is just great. None of the obvious robot arms and legs dangling/kibbling underneath and in hindsight the nose of the craft isn't as comically looking as I expected it to be. His robot mode, while top heavy, is also not too disproportionate as the pictures suggested. Those "boobs" of his aren't too bad the more you look at him. His arms and legs are perhaps a tiny bit small for his torso but considering his legs is the neck and nose of the jet, it's a wise decision by the engineers. Sound and lights are good, and I appreciate the transforming noise during specific points in the conversion. Biggest downer is that in robot mode the wings do not stay on the pegs securely and tends to flop at certain poses.

Silverbolt... Sorry to say I don't share your enthusiasm STL . Alt mode... a jet with a folded robot stuck underneath, robot mode a Robot with a folded in two jet backpack. I guess the robot parts and jet parts are just not incorporated together as one figure at all. The jet parts do not incorporate into the robot parts and vice versa. Remove the jet and you can attach anything to the robot. Although he is the most G1 looking out of the group of U2.0 Ultras. Also, it's disapointing that when in robot mode his eyes do not light up when the button is pushed, only during conversion does it light up.

Most solid of the Ultra's is Onslaught in my opinion. Nice alt mode with an excellent paintjob. Robot mode is imposing and large. He means business! Except his little blaster on his right arm is a tad small when compared to his gigantic stature and wall-like riot shield. Articulation ok and the lights and sound are a treat. I like that they made one of the wheels trigger a switch that makes an engine noise when you are rolling him in alt mode. But I was a little dissapointed that the siren sound cannot be sustained. Interestingly, Onslaught is almost identical to Animated Ultra Magnus' conversion (read: 99% the same). I'm sure those who have both figures can attest to.

Galvatron... *Sigh* *tsk* hmmm. I really wish Hasbro made him an Ultra sized figure. His rather involved (but fantastically engineered) conversion meant that he had a lot of panels and hinges and joints galore. Unfortunately at the deluxe size it just can't work. Parts WILL pop off nearly all the time during conversion. Making him a bit of a Legoformer. Even at a Voyager size he could have worked much better. Unfortunately it gets let down by the size of the toy for me. It's a pity as it's an excellent figure.

I'll second Silverbolt, i had Griff's one and the G1 sitting side by side and it was awesome!
    Last edited by griffin; 17th September 2008 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    Galvatron... *Sigh* *tsk* hmmm. I really wish Hasbro made him an Ultra sized figure. His rather involved (but fantastically engineered) conversion meant that he had a lot of panels and hinges and joints galore. Unfortunately at the deluxe size it just can't work. Parts WILL pop off nearly all the time during conversion. Making him a bit of a Legoformer. Even at a Voyager size he could have worked much better. Unfortunately it gets let down by the size of the toy for me. It's a pity as it's an excellent figure.
    completly agree stompy. i think i popped of 3 out of 4 limbs when transforming him for the first time :S
    still a cool figure, but would love it to be larger, an ultra would be better than a voyager tho

I don't have, and probably wont get Silverbolt, but i don't think it's so amazing that they managed to get a G1 style look out of the robot bolted underneath the plane.

Since it's clear they were aiming for a G1 style over a decent transformation, I think it would have been better if they went all the way.... As it stands now, the wings are upside down and not swept back like the original toy, which is what totally ruins the look of the robot for me. His zig-zag back-wings look like paper cut outs!

I was transforming Galvatron this morning while having my breakfast and it's easier and more enjoyable the second time (when you're not struggling to make it look like the mistransformed toy on the box). Only one leg popped off which is a much better rate of Fail than on the first try. It does have a little automorph thing going on with his heels that's a little annoying to me (seems gratuitous).

Keep in mind that the toy photo on the packaging/cardback has the thighs sideways. The hexagonal kneecaps should be facing forwards like Gen1/Energon Galvatrons, and is actually pictured in the instructions. (another example of someone at Hasbro not realising they got the transformation wrong before photographing it for the packaging)

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

From what I've got so far:

Onslaught = Very slick! Can't fault him in any way! If you've played with a TFA UM, he TFs pretty much the same way

Galvy = Yes he's a little small, Yes he seems over-engineered but Yes he's also pretty damn cool!

Prowl, Streaker & Octane = *big tick*

I'm waiting for a red Powerglide & white Silverbolt and I know I'll be impressed with Powerglide & not-so-impressed by Silverbolt but Eh... I luv me Classics!