View Poll Results: How did you first watch TFTM?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cinema

12 34.29%
  • Video cassette tape

14 40.00%
  • Laser disc

0 0%
  • DVD or Blu-Ray

2 5.71%
  • Other (please specify)

7 20.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did you first watch The Transformers The Movie?

I remember we rented a betamax tape, this and G.I.Joe Movie. Me and my cousins watched them back to back, Transformers first then I remember clearly when already watching G.I.Joe I shouted crying "don't you dare kill Duke, Prime just died a few hours ago!!!"

I'm a little bit awestruck at the depth and clarity of people's recollections here... I only sort of remember that's I saw it in the cinema, and even that fact is a hazy one. I'm reduced to making a "best guess". I would have been about 8 or 9, and while I'm no genius, I'm not a dunce either... All very curious.

I only have a handful of specific and clear recollections of Transformers growing up, buying Sludge and buying Blades (both would have been circa 1985), and holding a tape recorder up to the TV in my Dad's caravan recording the audio of TF:TM off a VHS, to listen to later.

Anyway, keep the memories coming, I'm enjoying them vicariously.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Where's the option: Not even interested.
    C'mon then, I'll fight ya...

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

TV I think
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I'm a little bit awestruck at the depth and clarity of people's recollections here... I only sort of remember that's I saw it in the cinema, and even that fact is a hazy one. I'm reduced to making a "best guess". I would have been about 8 or 9, and while I'm no genius, I'm not a dunce either... All very curious.
    I think I remember the experience clearly because it left a very strong impression on me. It's the first cartoon I ever watched where major characters died on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    I think I remember the experience clearly because it left a very strong impression on me. It's the first cartoon I ever watched where major characters died on screen.
    For me it was because it was Transformers! On the big screen! Unforgettable

For nearly all of my G1 (and later) toys and comics I can remember where or how I got them. (Big reason why I can't see my self parting with them).

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Roy Focker.

No wait. I lie. I watched Star Blazers first. That and Battle of the Planets were well camouflaged blood baths.

Yep, major impression on me. Taught me that heroes die But it also taught me that inspite of that, that you should never give up. Fight for what is right and for what you believe in. Roy Folker in Robotech/Macross taught me that as well.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Yep, major impression on me. Taught me that heroes die But it also taught me that inspite of that, that you should never give up. Fight for what is right and for what you believe in. Roy Folker in Robotech/Macross taught me that as well.
    Amen Brother! In the movie, before Optimus Prime's big fight with Megatron, he says "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost". Unfortunately, his own life was factored into that cost... G1 Optimus Prime was the sort of person who'd sacrifice his life to save his friends. That's why, in my mind, he's one of the greatest heroes in fiction. Like Jesus, he didn't pass the risk or responsibility onto others, but took it on himself. His other most heroic act was in the season 3 episode "Dark Awakening"; which showed that even after death and brief resurrection, he'd still do it the same all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Roy Focker.

No wait. I lie. I watched Star Blazers first. That and Battle of the Planets were well camouflaged blood baths.
    Yeah, Japanese animes man.. They're traps, particularly if you're a parent who lived outside Japan in the 1980-90s. You see the video cover in the shop, and you think "Oh that looks like a fun sci-fi adventure cartoon. My son/daughter would love this!", only to realise later that you've exposed your child to scenes of violent death and murder.

I remember when my dad brought home a copy of Guyver from the video shop, and it wasn't long after I first saw TFTM. Man, the imagery from that anime disturbed the heck out of me.

I honestly can't remember. Though I think my dad took me to watch it at Cinema City in Perth. It obviously didn't leave much of an impression on me. Never really liked it to be honest. Too many silly characters started appearing with Cybertronian modes instead of Earth vehicles and well loved characters dying or dead.

I saw it on VHS in 2002 - bought the VHS over the internet with my girlfriends credit card. I actually forgot I bought it and was surprised when it turned up 6 weeks later.

After I watched it I went around the local video stores and purchased some more VHS episodes - they all had the G2 Space Cube which was so horrid they got put right into storage until 2007.