Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDW to do a GIJoe/TFs crossover comic

Default IDW to do a GIJoe/TFs crossover comic

Mid-2014, IDW will be producing their version of a GIJoe Transformers Crossover comic, as part of the 30th anniversary year.

Initial details are limited, but the press release shows a promo image and writer credits.

Writers - Tom Scioli & John Barber
    Artist - Tom Scioli

Hah!1 that promo looks hideously 80s.... I do hope they get a better artwork for the inner pages.... what's wrong with the artist's work on the current ongoing comics... this crossover art is just ... fro the lack of a better term... ugly.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It's his deliberate style.

He was the artist on Godland, where he beautifully captured the magic and beauty of classic Jack Kirby at his best.

His style isn't going to be for everyone, but this should attract a slightly different audience to the general main audience. Consider it the replacement for RG1: something with a keen eye to appeal to nostalgia and the comics of yesteryear, while still maintaining appropriate modern flourishes.

I think his work will grow on you, and the sequential should be enjoyable.

Yes, stylistically it's wildly different to MTMTE, RID, and the other 'modern' books, but is that a bad thing?

After all, MTMTE was a bit of a departure from our normal Transformers style, and look how that turned out.

The retro style here will hopefully work to entice the audience who came onboard for RG1 and are keen for that continued hit of monthly nostalgia, and the Joe readers, which tends to be an older audience anyway, and probably much more receptive of the style (kinda Herb Trimpe-ish for them, I guess).
    Looking To Buy Either Siege Or Earthrise Ratchet, and Buzzworthy SS86 ER Cliffjumper.

It's fine that they are doing it for the 30th anniversary, but something I've liked about IDW is that a: the crossovers have been rare and b: when they have happened its been somewhere new rather than the old well trodden parth of the GIJoe Crossover. LOVED the Mars Attacks crossover!

When are we going to see some more Transformer crossovers of that ilk? Personally I would love to see Transformers vs either the Ghostbusers, Beetlejuice, Gremlins or Stripperella

Winston & Trailbreaker going after the ghost of Starscream?! Aw Yeah!

Tom Scioli is also the genius behind AMERICAN BARBARIAN.

You HAVEN'T read American Barbarian? It's ridiculous and amazing and you should read it RIGHT NOW, HERE. (or... buy it?)

And then get excited because Tom Scioli is writing and illustrating a transformers book.
    I'm so pumped, I can't believe this is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    It's his deliberate style.

He was the artist on Godland, where he beautifully captured the magic and beauty of classic Jack Kirby at his best.

His style isn't going to be for everyone, but this should attract a slightly different audience to the general main audience. Consider it the replacement for RG1: something with a keen eye to appeal to nostalgia and the comics of yesteryear, while still maintaining appropriate modern flourishes.

I think his work will grow on you, and the sequential should be enjoyable.

Yes, stylistically it's wildly different to MTMTE, RID, and the other 'modern' books, but is that a bad thing?

After all, MTMTE was a bit of a departure from our normal Transformers style, and look how that turned out.

The retro style here will hopefully work to entice the audience who came onboard for RG1 and are keen for that continued hit of monthly nostalgia, and the Joe readers, which tends to be an older audience anyway, and probably much more receptive of the style (kinda Herb Trimpe-ish for them, I guess).
    Yes, all of this.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    When are we going to see some more Transformer crossovers of that ilk? Personally I would love to see Transformers vs either the Ghostbusers, Beetlejuice, Gremlins or Stripperella
    No Transformers/Ghostbusters yet....

But there's an X-Files multicrossover story coming in January, and it looks like the Lone Gunmen will meet Ghostbusters and then Transformers (so two degrees of separation)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    It's fine that they are doing it for the 30th anniversary, but something I've liked about IDW is that a: the crossovers have been rare and b: when they have happened its been somewhere new rather than the old well trodden parth of the GIJoe Crossover. LOVED the Mars Attacks crossover!

Transformers/GI Joe makes more sense for the 30th Anniv. since G1 did cross over with ARAH in the 1980s. The Marvel Comics had a mini series in both G1 and G2, and in there was one episode of the G1 cartoon where a retired Cobra Commander (calling himself Old Snake) helped transform Rodimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Springer and Arcee into humans. And the recurring character Marissa Fairborn is the daughter of Dashiell R. Fairborn (codename: Flint) and Alison R. Hart-Burnett (codename: Lady Jaye).

I'd like to see Hasbro consider releasing a Transformers/GI Joe Crossovers line, but not like Star Wars or Marvel Crossovers but more like Energon Snowcat. i.e. the robot mode shouldn't be based on human characters but just original robots engineered from the vehicle mode.

X-Files/ Lone Gunmen/ Ghostbusters/ tmnt/ tf x-over announced today

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    No Transformers/Ghostbusters yet....

But there's an X-Files multicrossover story coming in January, and it looks like the Lone Gunmen will meet Ghostbusters and then Transformers (so two degrees of separation)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    X-Files/ Lone Gunmen/ Ghostbusters/ tmnt/ tf x-over announced today
    Yep, that's what I was talking about. Bit hard to see past the info dump post in the middle though.