Thread: Interview with Ron Friedman (1986 movie writer)

Default Interview with Ron Friedman (1986 movie writer)

For fans of the 1986 Movie, or those wanting to learn more about it, the writer Ron Friedman has been interviewed, talking a little about his involvement with the Movie project, and suggesting that he might be doing a book about it soon.

Thanks for posting this. I skipped over it when looking through TFW's news feed, but I'm glad I read it.

Interesting read that can be summarised thusly:

"If you liked it, or it was cool, I did it. If you didn't like it or it was unpopular, it was someone else changing my awesome stuff."

I take it all with a grain of salt and won't be reading his book.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Jesus, that ego. Fascinating read, but he seems to think he's behind any and all successful creative decisions for the series. I thought female bots and Unicron had already been confirmed as ideas from else, for example?

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Interesting read that can be summarised thusly:

"If you liked it, or it was cool, I did it. If you didn't like it or it was unpopular, it was someone else changing my awesome stuff."
    I want to see a fight between Friedman and Floro Dery over the awesome stuff.

I want to see a third person come out of the woodwork, claiming to be the true mastermind for all the concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    I've got $50 on Dery

I have to say, why are all these early artists/writers when being interviewed now such arrogant bastards? Have they always been this way or is it just because the success has gotten into their heads... had their early projects dumped would they be more self deprecating in their interviews. As good a read it was ( read this actually on an FB link) I feel like I wanna punch both in the face after their interviews - both Friedman and Dery.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Ego indeed, though it amuses me that he takes credit for (what in my mind) were the worst bits about Gi Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Winner has to battle Michael Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    I have to say, why are all these early artists/writers when being interviewed now such arrogant bastards? Have they always been this way or is it just because the success has gotten into their heads... had their early projects dumped would they be more self deprecating in their interviews. As good a read it was ( read this actually on an FB link) I feel like I wanna punch both in the face after their interviews - both Friedman and Dery.
    Eh... interviews with other TF writers that I've watched/read seem alright (e.g. David Wise, Flint Dille, Earl Kress, Simon Furman, Kaneda Masumi, Bob Forward, Larry DiTillio) ... the more narcissistic ones seem to be a minority, but I guess they draw more attention to themselves.