Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: US Amazon shipping some regular TFs toys overseas

Are you guys buying trades or hardcovers? I was thinking about a couple of purchases (hardcovers) but I like my stuff mint. I don't like the sound of stuff being sent in a padded envelope.

The last hardcover I bought was Transformers Vault and this came in a padded envelope. Because of this, one corner was damaged. I ended up buying a second copy from Target to keep as my 'good' copy. Having said that, it was over a year ago and as Paul has alluded, their packaging materials seem to have been improved. Like you though, I like my books mint and I'm not willing to test this by ordering from them again.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Are you buying from the UK bookdepository or the US one?
    I've been buying comic Trades from the UK one for a few years, and every time they are packed tightly in either thick cardboard A4-ish envelope (most often) or a padded bag (rarely).

I've always been impressed at how those cheap purchases end up arriving in mint condition, preventing me from ever having to shop locally.
    Amazon on the other hand - should have at least wrapped up the comics in a little bit of plastic (like a sandwich), just so that they at least slide around as one big brick... preventing them from sliding into each other.

Most of my orders for comic TPBs and larger come in brown solid envelopes, but I get some smaller paperbacks in padded envelopes. They still arrive fine to my satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Are you guys buying trades or hardcovers? I was thinking about a couple of purchases (hardcovers) but I like my stuff mint. I don't like the sound of stuff being sent in a padded envelope.
    I'd recommend buying in a store if it's a big concern.

Any sort of postage/shipping has the risk of hardcover corners being slightly bent. Bookdepository.com has sent me hardcovers with some slight rounding on the corner.. Amazon.com has me hardcovers where the dust jacket was torn. I know what I prefer out of those two.

I'll risk the UK Bookdepository. The savings make it worthwhile, eg $75 vs $115 AUD.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Are you buying from the UK bookdepository or the US one?
    Good question... I don't actually remember. I do remember asking them for one of the exchanges to place some rigid cardboard inside the envelope to reinforce the package and write 'do not bend' on the outside however they failed to do either which resulted in my exchange item being damaged in transit as well.

Now, I'm fully aware that damage by the postal service is not their fault, but if the packaging is just a paper-thin A3 size envelope, they may as well send it without any packaging. In the case of Transformers Vault I ended up buying a second copy cancelling out any savings to be had.

I seem to be in the minority with this experience though so if you do decide to buy online with Book Depository gamblor, I hope you have better luck than me
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Moved this into the public arena, as ToysRUs America have now publicised that they are shipping internationally... so maybe Hasbro, Mattel and Lego are allowing it now.

I just placed an order for the four new Rescue Bots (they are about Voyager size), and 3 Thundertrons (to resell)... shipping came to a total of $14!
    That's $2 per Voyager toy! (makes the Thundertrons cost $24 each - cheaper than a Deluxe toy here)

The key is to buy a few extra items if you only want one, so that shipping is cheaper (keep adjusting your cart with items to get the best rate, and sell off the extras at an Australian retail price, or less if it was something released here).

I just can't get over that postage amount, from America to Australia for 7 Voyager sized toys.
    $2 for a Voyager toy.... a business size envelope is all you could get posted within Australia for $2.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I just placed an order for the four new Rescue Bots (they are about Voyager size), and 3 Thundertrons (to resell)... shipping came to a total of $14!
    That's $2 per Voyager toy! (makes the Thundertrons cost $24 each - cheaper than a Deluxe toy here)

The key is to buy a few extra items if you only want one, so that shipping is cheaper (keep adjusting your cart with items to get the best rate, and sell off the extras at an Australian retail price, or less if it was something released here).

I just can't get over that postage amount, from America to Australia for 7 Voyager sized toys.
    $2 for a Voyager toy.... a business size envelope is all you could get posted within Australia for $2.
    I was checking around TRU.com (us) and I went to the Battle of Hoth lego set and it says it ships internationally, so I don't know what to think now.
    This might be an error but I'm not sure.

I just put a single Thundertron and checked the postage amount. Total came to $28

OH MY GOD.

So I added another, just in case a fellow WAlian wants one. Wow man, just wow.