Page 35 of 82 FirstFirst ... 152530313233343536373839404555 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    We're trying to make you spend more. Pay for something in the middle, you might also grab something on your way out, in case you forgot.
    Serious, that's why you'll also see all of the 'worlds' next to each other, with all of the associated products within arms reach.
    I've seen it in a couple stores as well. my biggest problem with it is it really encourages people to just walk out with stuff. and it puts a massive burden on the poor sod at the front door who has to check bags etc. correct me if I'm wrong Sinnertwin but whoever that person is, isn't a trained security guard, just another teenager on the minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    An email I sen to Telstra tonight:
    Nice one Trent, the sarcasm was dripping, I can't see it making a difference to your service, except you mentioned the ombudsman.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I've seen it in a couple stores as well. my biggest problem with it is it really encourages people to just walk out with stuff. and it puts a massive burden on the poor sod at the front door who has to check bags etc. correct me if I'm wrong Sinnertwin but whoever that person is, isn't a trained security guard, just another teenager on the minimum wage.

Nice one Trent, the sarcasm was dripping, I can't see it making a difference to your service, except you mentioned the ombudsman.
    Actually, between that and my post on their facebook page, I had a phonecall within minutes.

I have no doubt it was my threat of the ombudsman that spurred them into action. But it was fun typing that email.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Actually, between that and my post on their facebook page, I had a phonecall within minutes.

I have no doubt it was my threat of the ombudsman that spurred them into action. But it was fun typing that email.
    It shouldn't take public threats on social media to get good customer service. I'd call the ombudsmen anyway.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

It shouldn't take public threats on social media to get good customer service. I'd call the ombudsmen anyway.
    Meh. Effort.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Door greeters are really only there as a visual deterrent to the opportunistic thieves -the little teeny bopper that wants a $3 can of Impulse or the gamer that wants a new pack of batteries for their XBox controller.

The experienced ones will have 101 ways of concealing merchandise and attempting to walk out. If we are able to establish them early enough, undercover loss prevention officers & security staff are notified at which point apprehension will occur outside of the store.

Stores cannot legally enforce bag checks for customers leaving the store.
    Reference
    "When a bag search is conducted no items are allowed to be touched with the retailer only able to look at the contents inside the bag. Customers do have the right to refuse to have their bag searched, but since a customer enters a store under licence, the retailer also has the right to ask a person to leave, therefore revoking the licence (under which the customer entered the store)."

So here's how I understand it; if you enter a store where there are prominent signs saying that customers may be subject to bag checks, you can refuse to comply with the bag check and, unless the store has good reason to believe that you've shoplifted, the worst that they can do is tell you to leave. If you're already exiting the store, which is when bag checks occur, then it's a fairly empty threat. I'm not encouraging anyone to abuse this, but just pointing out some legal facts.

One reason why I carry my Transformer toy in my hand when I go out instead of carrying it in my bag or pocket is to make it visibly clear that I've already entered the store with the toy, then I show the toy on my way out and the checker can know that I didn't steal it from the store. If the checker is busy as I enter, I hold it in a position that can be easily seen by security cameras - should security feel the need to review video (it's never come up though).

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    They've been rolling that new layout to stores for a while now. It sucks. Southland has had some 'quick' self checkouts at the exit which kind of helps. The store layout though is crowded and messy, but they have $25 deluxes so I go back.
    I think Southland was the initial trial store - staff there HATED it at first, buts it's been that way for 2-3 years now

They've merged the audiovisual/photo printing section with the service desk and layby too, which can be a pain when I want something from the DVD cabinet and have to wait for someone collecting a layby or an idiot to be told why they can't get a refund, back when I worked there they were three separate desks in different locations across the store

Edit: used to work the door too, funniest moment was a biker trying to walk out with a fridge...

Castle Towers Kmart is the only one that I've noticed that hasn't changed their layout yet. Hornsby has recently done it, but it doesn't work well since it's a long store and not a wide store.
    Also on the bag checking thing, it's kinda funny because when I show them my bag, they only see the top of it. I could have a stolen transformer in the bottom of it and they wouldn't even notice.
    Some places do have better security, the worse case was Target Hornsby where I had to sit for a bunch of minutes because the person out front thought I had stolen a Transformer, despite the fact I had purchased it from somewhere else (and that also Target wasn't even stocking that type of Transformer!). I had to wait a bunch of minutes till they learnt I didn't steal it.
    This is why I should always have a receipt for when I'm buying toys.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    What's the go with Kmart. They plonked the checkout / pay station right in the center of the store ... as well as at the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    My local only has it in the middle. I dont like it at all. I just wanna grab my stuff and head out. It being in the middle means I have to go further to buy things.

Only thing it is good for is my step count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    They've been rolling that new layout to stores for a while now. It sucks. Southland has had some 'quick' self checkouts at the exit which kind of helps. The store layout though is crowded and messy, but they have $25 deluxes so I go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    We're trying to make you spend more. Pay for something in the middle, you might also grab something on your way out, in case you forgot.
    Serious, that's why you'll also see all of the 'worlds' next to each other, with all of the associated products within arms reach.
    All the easier to steal things

Actually some guys walked out with a speaker set and cos security can't handle them physically they got away with it (until the police got them)

Just saw this on QI tonight... in Hong Kong, you can have your wedding at Mcdonalds for as little as AU$500.... and they do it rather flashy too.

Imagine Mcdonalds in Australia doing weddings... it would be a tacky bogan fest.