Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Bikes

Default Mountain Bikes

Are there any bike enthusiasts here on the board that can point me in the direction of a good mountain bike for under $200? Not after anything second-hand i.e. eBay / Gumtree etc. Fully aware that something decent would cost way more than this however I'm only looking at cheaper options, if there are any. Cheers!
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I have an Avanti mountain bike that I think I paid just over $200 for a few years ago from a bike shop. I use it quite often and it still looks brand new. For what I paid it's been brilliant. I would stay clear of the ones from Bigw, Kmart etc...but that's just me.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

You could try Gumtree as well for second hand good bikes in which imo you need to know about Mountain bikes before going to look at them so you would know what kind of deal you are getting.

Most average bikes cost about $400+ for me to meet the "good" enough mark.
    This is from my point of view, not a bible.

I know bikes range from $200 -$5K so it just shows how much you will spend and go.

Important factors are getting the right size frame for your body, right frame material that you like, and weight that you are comfortable with.
    Followed by "do you need full suspension front and rear?" or just a hard tail?
    What speed? (gear ratio)
    What kind of gear shifting? Grip or rapid fire
    Brakes, disc or normal wired?

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Very helpfull

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    I would stay clear of the ones from Bigw, Kmart etc...but that's just me.
    Yeah, I was in a bike shop the other day and asked about their servicing. They specifically said they would not service any bikes bought from the above mentioned stores. 'Nuff said.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Out of curiosity, why don't you want a second hand bike?

You can pick up some real bargains. Take my last bike, a Giant Talon. It cost me $1K but 18 months later the most I could sell it for was $300 and it was in excellent condition. I would have kept it except I only had space for one and a hardtail wouldn't cope with the trails or jumps that I hit up. So the guy that bought it got a great deal.

I would try some bike shops that sell second hand bikes. At least you know they've been serviced and are straight. Or another place is a forum like Rotorburn haunt the sale thread and you might catch a winner.

Or try a Wilsons Bike Hub. They might have a few decent low cost bikes.

Previous advice is sound. Stay away from Kmart/Big W bikes.

What do you want it for? Where are you going to be riding it?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Very helpfull

Yeah, I was in a bike shop the other day and asked about their servicing. They specifically said they would not service any bikes bought from the above mentioned stores. 'Nuff said.
    Kind of rubbish.....honestly, in this time and day, I be happy to serve any customer with any bike when he/she push it into my store.

In simple terms that store would be absolutely useless and charging you premium, almost like car dealership.

Also bicycle maintenance is pretty easy if you are sticking to the basics. Honestly I am not an expert but I could change tyre, adjust seat post, change seat, adjust gears shifting, change brakes very easily.

The harder bits are changing and redo spokes and hubs the entire wheel etc.... which you hardly ever going to touch.

Seriously though there are good second hand bikes that would beat any first hand $200 bikes if you go looking. People do get rid of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Out of curiosity, why don't you want a second hand bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Seriously though there are good second hand bikes that would beat any first hand $200 bikes if you go looking. People do get rid of stuff.
    I'm a little weird when it comes to second hand stuff so much so that I never even liked borrowing library books back in the day I know I'm probably missing out but that's how I'm built.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    What do you want it for? Where are you going to be riding it?
    Just along the local streets with my kids. The days of going off-road are well behind me.

For the record, I ended up buying a Ridgeback 29er but know nothing about them. It was from Supercheap Autos (one of those weekly specials) for $150 but if there is something better out there I'm not against returning it for a refund. It was a case of if I didn't get it then and there, I would've missed out.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

It might be alright for pedaling the streets with the kids. I wouldn't try anything too adventurous on it though.

Did it come built or did you have to assemble it? Just make sure everything is done up tight. You don't want the handlebars to come off in your hands

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Kind of rubbish.....honestly, in this time and day, I be happy to serve any customer with any bike when he/she push it into my store.

In simple terms that store would be absolutely useless and charging you premium, almost like car dealership.

Also bicycle maintenance is pretty easy if you are sticking to the basics. Honestly I am not an expert but I could change tyre, adjust seat post, change seat, adjust gears shifting, change brakes very easily.
    I think some bike shops don't service cheap bikes because the service will cost more than the bike. I just had a full service on my MTB it it cost $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    I think some bike shops don't service cheap bikes because the service will cost more than the bike. I just had a full service on my MTB it it cost $300.
    That's expensive unless is was a dually that hadn't been ridden in a while.