Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192434 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Convoy 3.0 Revealed

He's looking pretty good, using words like 'ultimate' might be too much, but like MP 10 before him, he certainly adds interesting changes to the design, which is enough to make it worth doing another Convoy, more so compared to the likes of Starscream who just had minor retools to the old mold.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm not personally planning on buying this toy, but I'm not going to immediately dismiss it as "overpriced" without having seen the toy. Paying $400 for the ultimate MP Convoy is probably easier to justify than paying $35 for any of the current Cyberverse figures (in terms of bang for your buck).
    +1

I agree when you consider the engineering and parts count going into most mainline Transformers at the moment, and you look at the newest MP's you can see where the money is going.

I'm not saying that the cost is justified, just that if you look at Transformer toys a a whole we are paying more for parts and engineering across the line than we have in the past.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Is this price confirm?

Like I said, if this is done painted like what sun streaker is. I have no major issues except is mainly plastic and it should not be that high of a price.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Is this price confirm?

Like I said, if this is done painted like what sun streaker is. I have no major issues except is mainly plastic and it should not be that high of a price.
    I'm going to regret asking but what the heck...

If Convoy/Optimus Prime shouldn't be mainly plastic then what material(s) should it be mainly?

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    I'm going to regret asking but what the heck...

If Convoy/Optimus Prime shouldn't be mainly plastic then what material(s) should it be mainly?
    He thinks painted die cast is better than painted plastic and that he can tell the difference by looking at it.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ah yes, the die cast argument.

Die cast wasn't used in G1 because it was a "better" material. It was used because it was cheaper than plastic. How economics have changed.

Before this become a bad ugly thread. I have my own reservations on thoughts of a toy which is totally made up of plastic and costing $400.

You can have your own opinion about the engineering etc involved, that’s your take on it.

If you enjoy paying $400 for a full plastic bot be my guess. I am happy for you.

FYI I don’t care about the diecast for mp at this point. But the paint should not be budgeted. If you feel my standards are too high for a mp, I suggest you should look at other brands producing at the same price range.

This is why I I don’t sell my mp-1 but no hesitation to get rid of the mp-10.

$400 is 32,000jpy, if that’s not expensive btw I have spent everything on my other toys at below this amount.
    Last edited by drifand; 28th August 2018 at 11:44 AM.

One major issue for me with Masterpiece figures: KO versions are cheaper and sometimes better. Hasbro/ Takara need to go 'all out' on their top of the line figures; whether it be paint, die-cast, or whatever.

Justify the price with quality, not just because your fans will eat up anything you put out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    One major issue for me with Masterpiece figures: KO versions are cheaper and sometimes better. Hasbro/ Takara need to go 'all out' on their top of the line figures; whether it be paint, die-cast, or whatever.

Justify the price with quality, not just because your fans will eat up anything you put out.
    Exactly this.
    Look at dinobot with the shoulder issue. And the price people pay for it.
    If the quality stands out, I have no issues with material used or prices being high.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    He thinks painted die cast is better than painted plastic and that he can tell the difference by looking at it.
    :/ It depends on what the die-cast is used for, but die-cast would obviously increase the cost of the toy and MPs are expensive enough as they are. The funny thing is that the reason why early G1 toys had die-cast parts was because it was cheaper than plastic. Then in 1986 they switched to plastic as it had become cheaper than die-cast metal.

I think that there are pros and cons with plastic vs metal, and it obviously depends on how the materials are used. But the fact is that metal is dearer than plastic and if you want these toys to be metal then it's going to cost you. Sure, MP1 had die-cast metal, but it also had fewer parts/components than MP10 and probably fewer than this new MP Convoy too. For one thing, it was only the cab-robot, no trailer or Roller car. MP4 gave us a trailer but it wasn't at the same level of engineering as MP10's, and still no Roller. And it was considerably more expensive than MP1.

Not as if the mp line is getting cheaper regardless of material nor even paint. So it isn’t adding up correctly.

I am afraid is just pure fandom fueling it’s okay to pay such prices are actually what’s pushing it.