Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Trypticon (Platinum Edition)

Default Toy Review - Trypticon (Platinum Edition)

Series - Platinum Edition
    Size/class - City
    Wave - Hello
    New/remould/redeco – G1 reissue
    Released here - ? 2015
    Approximate Retail Price - $220
    Approximate Size - 22cm to top of head (antennae), 26cm to top of shoulder stacks
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - City, battle station
    Main Features/Gimmicks – electronic walking/accessory spinning, car launching ramp
    Main Colours – grey, purple
    Main Accessories - Brunt (tank), Full-Tilt (small robot/car), Full-Tilt's gun, x2 stabilisers, x2 radars, mounted artillery (x2), artillery connectors, ramps (x2)

I can't be bothered to type up a review of a 29 year old toy, but click here to read dirge's review on the original G1 figure.

Overall thoughts: $220 is admittedly a lot to pay for a reissue Trypticon, especially considering that Encore Metroplex cost about $200 (incl. postage) at the time of the 2008 GFC when the AUD nosedived. Having said that, I'd rather just get an MISB complete reissue instead of trying to track down and piecemeal collect all of the accessories that I was missing (which was all of them ). So I'm personally glad that I got it, but being such an expensive toy, I'd only really recommend it if, like me, your Trypticon is incomplete and you don't want to piecemeal complete it, or if your Trypticon is just getting worn/old and you want a minty replacement. But if you already have a complete G1 Trypticon that's in pretty good condition, then this reissue wouldn't be quite as essential for you. The price I'm quote is from Premium Collectables; not sure how much this toy will sell at retail stores here. My toy was double-taped, which may be off putting to MISB collectors.

Photos!

Have you tried out the battery features yet, on the reissue?
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Seeing the interactivity with the Combaticons there is making me hope for something similar with the Titan wars line...

Nice pick up Goki, not for me as I'm Classics-verse mainly, but I do remember playing with a friend's one about 20years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Have you tried out the battery features yet, on the reissue?
    Not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Does that reissue have stickers for eyes and the original plastic eyes?
    Stickers. My original Trypticon's eyes are chrome gold but not separate plastic pieces (like say Galvatron's).
    Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    Seeing the interactivity with the Combaticons there is making me hope for something similar with the Titan wars line...

Nice pick up Goki, not for me as I'm Classics-verse mainly, but I do remember playing with a friend's one about 20years ago
    I'd be all over a Generations Titan Class Trypticon like Queensland on NSW.

Any differences of note between the original and reissue?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I wasn't actively looking to spot differences, but the biggest differences that stood out to me were:
    * Legal blurb and logos printed on toy.
    * The two 'bumps' on the lower ramp on the G1 toy are absent on the reissue.

P.S.: I don't own a Gigastorm, so I don't know how many of these differences were present on that toy. Could someone who owns Gigastorm please confirm?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I didn't know this guy is not that tall. Kind of surprised for me.

Megatran Guest

Hey Gok, is the purple colour on the Trypticon reissue a darker purple or is the G1 vintage colour faded? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I didn't know this guy is not that tall. Kind of surprised for me.
    Yeah, it surprised me when I first saw them loose back in the 80s. Metroplex isn't much taller either. Ultra Magnus is taller than Metroplex, and Galvatron is nearly as tall as Trypticon. They're really designed to be cities for the Scramble gestalt teams (e.g. Aerialbots, Stunticons etc.); both of them can connect with Scramble gestalt TFs.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attach...n-img_1936.jpg
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attach...mblescaled.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8...837346b4_o.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Hey Gok, is the purple colour on the Trypticon reissue a darker purple or is the G1 vintage colour faded? Thanks.
    I think mine's faded.