Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lego Movie

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipes brother View Post
    Spaceship! Spaceship! SPACESHIP!!!!!
    Yeah, Benny was the best.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I actually loved this bit, it has a good dig at the 'collector' type of AFOL many of which would have been keen to see this film because they love Lego only to have it force them to take a good hard look at themselves
    Totally got that but the execution was forced and patronising.

I'm curious to how much of the 'collector' AFOLs it got too. Most of them see themselves as the lifeblood and biggest ambassadors of the brand.

I'd say the majority of people build grade F models. Mostly because they simply don't have the pieces (type & colour) to build beautiful A grade models. I reckon if you supplied most kids any of the pieces they wanted they would eventually build something spectacular. I would also bet that in these circumstances it would be more likely that a regular kid would build something far more impressive than a regular adult.
    I agree a lot of kids could build better than regular adult. Regular adults are fixed in their way of thinking and if they have no creative spark at that stage, they're better off watching AFL/Rugby then trying.

However, even if all parts are supplied, I don't think a kid (or many of us) have the ingenuity to change an official Grade A model to another Grade A model. I've tried it before and it's not easy. I've seen some MOC guys do great things with this constraint but even some of their ideas push the boundaries.

I'm not against the whole notion of being creative. I just found it poorly executed and patronising. I think creativity should be encouraged but the way the movie presented it, I had a tough time buying it.

Toy Story 3's message was very much enforcing the status quo, "give up your toys you're too old for them now, give them to a kid who will take better care of them because you will be too busy getting wasted at frat parties like you should be at your age and girls won't like you if you have toys in your room"

Okay it wasn't that explicit in the film but its still a pretty poor message.
    I think the idea is more that we all grow up and things change and we move on. It's accepting that, appreciating the memories and trying to pass them on.

Even in my TF collecting these days there are things that have passed their usefulness/utility to me IE G1. Toys. I don't think it's wrong I want to get rid of them now. It doesn't diminish that I enjoyed them for a long time and there's nostalgic value to them even if I want to part with them. No point hoarding for the sake of hoarding. Rather give them to a new home where they're wanted and someone will get appreciation of them

My problem is in the offloading them to a new home part. Just a tedious process. But I certainly don't think Toy Story was saying "you're too cool for toys'". I saw it as more you outgrow things and you do.

Using G1 as an example. I've just outgrown them with the abundance of Classics/Masterpiece toys that are available these days. The citybots, the combiners were all treasured b/c I didn't think I'd get another representation of them. Doesn't detract from the nostalgic and "character" value I used to get out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    Yeah, Benny was the best.
    +2

Can't wait for the Spaceship!
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    +2

Can't wait for the Spaceship!
    +3!!!

I don't think a TV/Movie has made me want a toy this bad since like, Batman Returns. It's an extremely weird feeling to experience again

TRU has 20% off Lego. For those getting the movie sets you may already have most of these given the myer and target sales but there is the Rescue Reinforcements (fire engine mecha) set which seems to be TRU exclusive. Doesn't seem available online but finally had some luck tracking this down for the missus at Knox TRU today!