3 18.75%
  • Only if (something else)

2 12.50%
  • No

2 12.50%
  • Not even interested

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Age of Extinction Galvatron (Voyager)

Default Toy Review - Age of Extinction Galvatron (Voyager)

GALVATRON
    Series - Transformers Generations
    Sub-line – Age of Extinction
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco – New
    Wave – 2, 2014
    Released here - June 2014
    Approximate Retail Price - $50
    Approximate Size – 18cm
    Allegiance -Decepticon
    Alternate mode – 2012 Freightliner Argosy
    Main Features/Gimmicks – missile launcher
    Main Colours – cobalt grey, silver, black
    Main Accessories – missile launching gun

Pictures

Thoughts

Simplistic shellformer. Galvatron is the ultimate backpack former, with most of his truck mode formed from his collapsable backpack! The remaining portion folds out from his legs.

The truck parts are nicely painted and there are some nice sculpting details and a few notable paint apps on the robot mode, overall the robot mode is sorely lacking in colour and really needs more to break up all that dull looking grey. It would've been nice if the hubcaps had been painted too, especially given the lack of paints on the robot mode; Hound also suffers from unpainted hubcaps, but at least his robot mode is well decoed - what's Galvatron's excuse? I wish the robot mode had waist articulation, although it has a lot of hip articulation which kinda compensates.

The truck mode looks rubbish from behind -- even worse than First Edition or Evasion Mode Optimus Prime as the robot parts are immediately visible. This toy feels like a person wearing a transforming box-forming cosplay. The feet also don't lock in firmly. And for some reason there's a hole in the middle of Galvatron's chest.

I also find the style of packaging for this line to be somewhat lazy. As the first AoE Decepticon released in Generations, I was surprised to see that the box still features a lot of Autobot insignias on a Decepticon toy! The only full Decepticon logo is the one that appears next to Galvatron's name on the front. Otherwise it feels like that this packaging is trying to tell me that this toy is an Autobot! His tech specs bio is utter garbage as it just describes the premise for Age of Extinction and tells us nothing about Galvatron himself! The word "Galvatron" doesn't even appear in the bio!

Overall
    I personally consider this toy to be the second worst AoE Voyager (I still find Grimlock the worst as his alt mode is a greater fail than Galvy's IMO). Not recommended.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 19th June 2014 at 07:08 PM.

Yes he's a shell former but I'm looking forward to it. I've bought the Takara version but won't see it til about August I reckon I think the truck mode looks great but could definitely do with more paint on the robot. Plus he is a must as it's only 1 of a possible 3 Decepticons in the whole Voyager/Deluxe line.

The TakaraTOMY version undoubtedly has a nicer looking colour scheme as far as I can see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    Plus he is a must as it's only 1 of a possible 3 Decepticons in the whole Voyager/Deluxe line.
    I must confess that what limited affection I have for this toy, a lot of it is because "zOMG! A Decepticon!" Nuthin' quite like being a big fish in a small pond.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The TakaraTOMY version undoubtedly has a nicer looking colour scheme as far as I can see.
    Hmmm... i don't think the TT version of Greyvatron is all that much better. What's up with his trout pout?

& Goki, Hound is the one that comes with a knife & loads of guns

He reminds me of Cybertron Armourhide, but that toy was better.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    What's up with his trout pout?
    Galvatron's pout > Drift's duckface

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    & Goki, Hound is the one that comes with a knife & loads of guns
    Copy & paste fail! Fix'd, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    He reminds me of Cybertron Armourhide, but that toy was better.
    <on.screen.high.5>

Can you post some larger pics of Galvatron in bot mode front and back?

Someone on the tfw2005 painted an AoE Galvatron in a purple colour scheme. Looked awesome.

More piccies:

<--the kid in the background was playing w/ RiD Megatron!

I actually didn't mind this toy though I'm glad I paid less than $40 for him.

The robot mode is ugly as sin, though that is accurate to the movie I guess . Limited articulation and a silly looking gun round off a ho-hum figure, though lots of robotic sinews make him look tough at least.

Transformation - fairly simple - doable without the instructions.

Truck mode is actually pretty good looking. Like Hound looks like he should be Bulkhead, Galvatron looks like he should be Motormaster/breath. Nice colours, very sleek - definitely the stronger of the two modes.

Overall, not as bad as a lot of reviews made me believe he would be. But certainly pales in comparison to Voyager Hound from the same wave.