Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did G1 Overlord get released in Australia?

Default Did G1 Overlord get released in Australia?

Okay so I was not born here, they let me in at some point, so I don't know.

While I was over at TFW someone mentioned that G1 Overlord and other toys were marketed in Australia, however was the toy actually ever released here?

I ask as I am hunting one for my collection, and I have never heard this info before.

So if anyone can confirm or deny, please do!

The Hasbro version of Overlord was released here in 1991 but it was very rare. The 1988 Takara Overlord was never released here. Overlord in the Masterforce cartoon and manga series is based on the 1987 Takara version, but IDW comics Overlord is based on the 1991 Hasbro version of the character.

http://www.cliffbee.com/aussietf.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Batfan007 View Post
    Okay so I was not born here, they let me in at some point, so I don't know.

While I was over at TFW someone mentioned that G1 Overlord and other toys were marketed in Australia, however was the toy actually ever released here?

I ask as I am hunting one for my collection, and I have never heard this info before.

So if anyone can confirm or deny, please do!
    As said above, yes overlord was here, and identical to the Takara version.

Unlike Liokaiser (No partners, new weapons and only 2 members missing) and Brave Ceaser (Cars released, but no combiner parts)

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The Hasbro version of Overlord was released here in 1991 but it was very rare. The 1988 Takara Overlord was never released here. Overlord in the Masterforce cartoon and manga series is based on the 1987 Takara version, but IDW comics Overlord is based on the 1991 Hasbro version of the character.

http://www.cliffbee.com/aussietf.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    As said above, yes overlord was here, and identical to the Takara version.

Unlike Liokaiser (No partners, new weapons and only 2 members missing) and Brave Ceaser (Cars released, but no combiner parts)
    Gok's message sounded like the Hasbro and Takara version are radically different and Krayt said identical. According to TFwiki the Hasbro version is only slightly different shade of purple than the Takara release. So apparently the only thing we can agree on is Overlord was released here. I regret not asking for him for Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Gok's message sounded like the Hasbro and Takara version are radically different
    The Hasbro one has a lighter shade of purple while Takara Overlord's purple is darker. Otherwise the two versions of the toy are identical. I was talking more about their personalities which are very different.

Image Links
    Takara Overlord
    Hasbro Overlord

Hmmmmmmmmm....... *runs off to storage*

Other way around. Takara version is the lighter purples.

Seibertron Takara Overlord gallery

Megatran Guest

So, who got one locally? (And what was the price back in the day?)

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    So, who got one locally? (And what was the price back in the day?)
    Drooled over one in the local toy shop every time I went in for like a year.... But was never allowed to get it. Also didn't know the character, so I think the piggy bank went on lego. Have a nice boxed Japanese one nowdays

Never saw one in a shop but always kept an eye out for him as he was mentioned in all the Motorvator tech-specs as their enemy (and those toys I only ever saw once in a shop when on holiday in Canberra as a teenager). I never even knew what the Overlord toy looked like until the internet was invented