Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comic Review: Monstrosity IDW digital release

Like the different reason for the Dynobots aggression based alt modes, was fearful of a Prime based reason.

Interesting to see "naturally forming Energon" that was primal or tainted, either path offers interesting options for storytelling.

Big reveal of Trypticon was cool, he looks huge, I love that it was a science team with bugger all weaponry that seem to be the focus for the next 2-3 issues, something different. Also enjoyed the introduction of Kup, been missing him in the current timeline stories, wish he hadn't been sacrificed so badly in such a terrible crossover.
    Strangely no Megatron or actual Dinobots this issue, neither were really missed. It'd be nice not to see Megs until the final issue to leave some things hanging.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Issue 7:

Mainly storyline setting up for the next issue. Delves into Trypticons history the tiniest bit. Very Tolkin-esque, there is an underground lake of treasure (energon) but it is guarded by a huge fierce dragon that currently slumbers.

Highlight of the issue was Megatron fighting the Terrorcons. I think the way Megatron defeated them was well done, I would have been annoyed if he had managed to hand their robot-arses to them in his underpowered state, and I didn't see the twist coming, ripping out the Quintessons green spark and using it to power himself. Raises a whole new question - do Quintessons have sparks? And if so, does that mean they are related to the TF's or is it that all robotic lifeforms have their soul/lifeforce exist in this manner?
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 24th May 2013 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Raises a whole new question - do Quintessons have sparks? And if so, does that mean they are related to the TF's or is it that all robotic lifeforms have their soul/lifeforce exist in this manner?
    Big question that will likely be glossed over.

I liked that Megatron barely struggled with them even when almost empty on fuel, it was only their numbers that gave them a sliver of hope of victory. Nice gladiatorial style fight, but over too quickly. One of the drawbacks of the shortened format. Still loving Ramondelli's art though, he has captured Junkion beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Big question that will likely be glossed over.

I liked that Megatron barely struggled with them even when almost empty on fuel, it was only their numbers that gave them a sliver of hope of victory. Nice gladiatorial style fight, but over too quickly. One of the drawbacks of the shortened format. Still loving Ramondelli's art though, he has captured Junkion beautifully.
    Yeah sadly this is true. Though with the ever expanding IDW TF universe it may not (hopefully) be the last we see of the Quintessons so it may be expanded on one day.

Complete agreement about the fight in regards to it was over too quickly. Good fight though!

I have not been a fan of Ramondelli's artwork - EXCEPT in the two digital release comics. Didn't like it in 'Chaos' and haven't liked it in other various issues, but for Autocracy and Monstrosity it seems to fit perfectly and is a visual joy, the grittiness of it is just right. In RID though I am definitely not a fan.

Issue is a paint by numbers setup issue ready for the big fights to come in the final third of this series.

Art too washed out this time for me, everything was so bleak. Also having trouble seeing the Monstrosity Shockwave being the one and same as RiD. Also not a fan of Soundwaves method of acknowledging a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Also not a fan of Soundwaves method of acknowledging a joke.
    I dunno: "Humor Detected: Conclusion: Amusing" - it made me laugh . And if anyone was going to have a shared sense of humor it would be the relatively humorless Shockwave and Soundwave. I cant see Soundwave laughing at Ruckus backfiring through his tailpipe

I liked the use of Grimlocks alt-form more than I thought I would. Though it begs the question that if all the Dinobots are afflicted, why is it only Grimlock that keeps getting set off? You think Slag at least would go nuts at least once as well.

Once again, nice to see Trypticon get his proper scale rather than being just one step bigger than Omega Supreme. But as trunks said, a lot of this issue was setting up for bigger fights to come.

Another beautifully illustrated issue. The use of light and dark is more powerful than any colour.

I'm using some intel from RiD here, but should Trypticon be such a big deal considering that he was bested by a Titan, and Titans have been killed by normal transformer weapons?

Megatrons return was short and brutal like all confrontations in Monstrosity, the big downside of this series, all these big brutal battles are bite sized and not given the true weight they deserve.

Easily worth the $1 price.

I was kinda dissapointed that they dropped a building on Trypticon and that was it! Didn't see him injure even a single Autobot.

With 1. Meg's back and having kicked Scorponok's arse, 2. Trypticon defeated, 3. the Dynobots and 4. the Circle of Light having taken off into space, makes you wonder what is going to be in the last two issues. After all, those were really the four main plot lines.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post

With 1. Meg's back and having kicked Scorponok's arse, 2. Trypticon defeated, 3. the Dynobots and 4. the Circle of Light having taken off into space, makes you wonder what is going to be in the last two issues. After all, those were really the four main plot lines.

Ah, now I see. Trypticon wakes up, stomps on Prime and then promptly eats him, Megatron & Grimlock. How did I not see that coming

Still cool though!

Good ending, very much a second of three ending, where the heroes are at a low after ending part one on a high.

Like the tie in with the fiction we have had in MtMtE. Good work from the IDW editors to get some more consistency between current era and historical stories.