View Poll Results: Toy Review Brainstorm - worth buying?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 53.85%
  • Only if...

4 30.77%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Brainstorm with Teslor (Exclusive single pack release)

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Brainstorm with Teslor (Exclusive single pack release)

Brainstorm with Teslor
    Series – Titans Return
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Remould/Pretool of TR Blurr
    Wave - EX
    Released here – Not yet, probably never
    Approximate Retail Price - $35 from Premium Collectables
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Cybertronian Jet/Starfighter
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Headmaster feature
    Main Colours – Teal, Gray, Cream
    Main Accessories – Shield/Twin Barrel Cannon thingy, Rifle, Titan Master Teslor

So what we have here today is one of the three Titans Return Brainstorm releases, the so called "Walgreens Exclusive" edition. For completions sake, the other two are the Takara Tomy release, that follows the Japanese Headmasters cartoon design, with a new face and cartoon accurate colours, and an SDCC exclusive three pack bundle that appears to be similar, but not quite the same, mainly lighter colour and changes to the feet. Jump on google if you'd like to see comparison shots.

Brainstorm is reportedly a remould of Titans Return Blurr, although I'd hazard a guess it was more developed side-by-side due to the fact that they are both available about the same time. As such the transformation is noticeably different from the Thrilling 30 Voyager Brainstorm (which I've heard is very close to the G1 transformation.)

Due to this, I think TR Brainstorm actually has a much more cohesive alt mode. Everything is more streamlined, no more feet poking out the back and arms just hanging off the side, which in my view is a big win over the previous release. As he shares engineering with Blurr, he's even got little wheels that actually work. My only real gripe is that the cockpit window doesn't actually cover the entire gap, there's about half a cm or so that could do with being covered.

Colour wise, the alt-mode is pretty bland, just the three major colours, with only a couple of bits of light grey and two Autobot sigils on the wings to break things up. The window is a slightly darker yellow to the T30 release.

Bot mode colour is a slightly more diverse affair, with tampographs on the wings and shins that hearken to the G1 toyalong with an orange mouth plate and blue eyes.

Great articulation for a modern era deluxe, easily a match to the voyager release with the exclusion of ankle tilts, but he makes up for that with rotating wrists.

When compared to TR/LG Hardhead, he's got a very slim frame, very sleek - I can see how it suits Blurr. Has a little bit of a backpack when the front section of the alt mode is attached there, and the guns (non-moving this time) point down, not up, so this guy is definitely not your Dead Universe obsessed Lost Light weapons engineer, but fits perfectly with the rest of the Titans Return line.

Bottom line - is this guy worth it? Maybe - depends on how happy you were with the T30 release, whether you want one that'll scale with the other original Headmasters that are being released and if you can find one of the releases at an affordable price.

As for which one to get - I specifically grabbed this release over the Takara due to the face design and colour more closely matching the IDW comics and G1 cartoon, as I've never watched the Japanese G1 cartoons, however for those that have followed that show, and already have the T30 release, the Takara might be worth it as a point of difference.
    Last edited by prjkt; 17th August 2016 at 11:00 PM.

I was on the fence about ordering this guy, but now very happy that I did. The paint on the nose cone has a nice gloss look to it, and I really like that the nose cone stores on the back as part of the transformation if you choose not to remove it.

I do wish that the hand gun stowed somewhere in the nose cone in vehicle mode, as having it tacked on the side does detract from the sleekness of the vehicle. As prjkt says, the cockpit gap is a nuisance, but I can overlook it given how good the rest of him is.

The gun does store in the nosecone, just faces forward - there's a post and a hole on both, check it and you'll see

EDIT: Forgot to say - As a Transformer, I much prefer TR Brainstorm, but in bot mode, T30 Brainstorm is the definition of MTMTE Brainstorm, so there's a place in my collection for both.
    Last edited by prjkt; 17th August 2016 at 10:44 AM.

I agree with TFwiki's comment - who the hell trademarks Arcana?! Anyway, evidently someone has leaving Hasbro unable to use the name

On one hand I think that "Teslor" is a pretty cool name for Brainstorm's head - it does suit the Brainstorm character quite well. But on the other hand, it doesn't suit Arcana's character as well... although I can't think of any cool-sounding synonyms for arcana either (TakaraTOMY may simply abbreviate it as Cana... which is Latin for "dog" (re: canine) ). I'd rather Teslor.

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    Hardhead with Furos
    ^You may like to edit that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I agree with TFwiki's comment - who the hell trademarks Arcana?!
    A band or maybe another toy company

I'm looking for the Walgreens but the online prices are not very attractive, and the SDCC version price is worse!

Photos added

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

^You may like to edit that.
    Indeed (well I did post this at almost 3am I think)

My SDCC Brainstorm arrived today, and it's the first deluxe I've played with. The head looks nice, and it's really easy to transform. I didn't need the instructions and just figured it out, so I like that it was intuitive. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is what to do with the extra gun (don't look right on the side, but maybe with the Walgreens one I can mount one on each side?) It will probably be obvious once I have Blurr in hand that it's really a car, but it does quite an alright job as a space plane and is quite reminiscent in look to the G1 (maybe a little small though).
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    My SDCC Brainstorm arrived today, and it's the first deluxe I've played with. The head looks nice, and it's really easy to transform. I didn't need the instructions and just figured it out, so I like that it was intuitive. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is what to do with the extra gun (don't look right on the side, but maybe with the Walgreens one I can mount one on each side?) It will probably be obvious once I have Blurr in hand that it's really a car, but it does quite an alright job as a space plane and is quite reminiscent in look to the G1 (maybe a little small though).

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to miss how the gun plugged into the nose cone! Thanks to prjkt for the photos. Seems kind of obvious now...