Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perceptor: Best of Both Worlds

Default Perceptor: Best of Both Worlds

Generations and United Perceptor in vehicle mode:

In Vehicle mode, United Pereceptor wins hands down with that super nice shiny paint. Makes it seem more like an Alternity figure than a regular deluxe. The clear windows also add a lot more realism and nicer aesthetically than the yellowy orange (why does Hasbro do that??)

Robot Modes:

In robot mode, both figures have their cons and pros with no clear winner. Hasbro has the advantage of uncharacteristic and appropriate chrome and United has an overall similar paint job but with added paint applications adding some distinction to it, unfortunately instead of grey, it has that horrible 'hasbro grey'.

Since both figures have their ups and downs, I decided to simply mix both parts and make 'The best of both Worlds':

He is now super shiny and the reflecting flash is hiding much of the detail but it does look a lot better than any of the standard figures as he is now sporting the best bits from both. Fantastic!

Just to show, here is the 'worse' of both worlds

Vehicle modes - Not much difference:

This little project wasn't as easy as it looks, it involved removing pins which is always very difficult to do. While trying to push a pin through, I accidentally impaled it under my thumb nail. OUCH!!

Thankfully no blood dripped on the figure or the carpet

^^;
    I did this a few weeks ago too. Is actually really simple and I posted how to's in the same thread too... Sorry to hear you hurt your thumb though man..
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...0&postcount=38

I might add that the plastic colors are so similar you can just swap the arms at the bicep swivel. (;

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128 View Post

I might add that the plastic colors are so similar you can just swap the arms at the bicep swivel. (;
    Thanks. I did that but got hit while doing the chest panel.

I think that you have to be lucky when it comes to the pin. The pin on one of the Perceptors came out really easy while the other was super hard.

Very nice. Almost tempted to buy the United version and try it myself.
    I never realised how pink Perceptor was but it's very noticable next to the United Version.

Bravo! Really need to get myself a soldering iron so I can get in on the pin action too

Whats a little pain to a seasoned kitbasher?

Combined Perceptor looks awesome, love the colours of united with the chrome.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    Bravo! Really need to get myself a soldering iron so I can get in on the pin action too
    You don't need one at all for this! The pin knocks straight out. In that other thread I pretty much described how to do it easily. (: but tha said Kup reckons it's luck of the draw with how easily the pin comes out. (still, u won't use a soldering iron in this case)

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128 View Post
    You don't need one at all for this! The pin knocks straight out. In that other thread I pretty much described how to do it easily. (: but tha said Kup reckons it's luck of the draw with how easily the pin comes out. (still, u won't use a soldering iron in this case)
    I didn't use one. I did what LCZ128 did and knocked the pins out. The United one came out very easily while the Hasbro one needed a bit more work. It was actually harder to place the pin back in than removing it, that is where I got my thumb stabbed.

When it comes to pins, I have always found them to be a luck of the draw sort of thing since some come out easy while another can be stubborn. When I fixed my MP Thundercracker's swapped chest panels, one pin came out ridiculously easy and the other took me ages to remove.

Definately looks awesome!

Alas I don't think I have the drive to do this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Definately looks awesome!

Alas I don't think I have the drive to do this myself.
    The United release is pretty good except for the lack of chrome in the dials and 'missile'. You could always try to paint them a metallic silver like the chest panel, it would certainly be a considerable improvement to the Hasbro grey (Or should we now call it TOMY grey? )