Thread: Custom Breakaway - Macross version (pic heavy!!)

Default Custom Breakaway - Macross version (pic heavy!!)

OK, so I did a thing a little while ago and thought I would share.
    I love how the Breakaway mould converts to a mech so easily, so I thought I'd try my hand at full custom one.
    This particular toy has had a hard life, originally belong to one of my kids (I recently acquired it for $5), so there were some gaps, joint, and general issues with it before I started. None of which I attempted to fix. However, several layers of paint have tightened most joints and created a new set of tolerance issues.
    As I was doing it, I knew paint would be rubbed off in some places, but decided to go with it as 'weathered' style look. Its just a pity that under the paint is that awful green or blue!
    I used mainly whatever old paint I had on hand, while trying to go for a military look. Also used some bits (and water slides) from a $10 F-14 model, and some extra Macross stickers. The pilot and seat is Freya from my VF-31J model.
    I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Looks pretty good on the shelf. Except for the pilot - which needs some different colours to make her stand out more.
    Also, just for fun, I did a tech description/background (which owes much to the Macross Mecha Manual for the VF-0).

FIGHTER

GERWALK

BATTROID

TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

That is actually one of my favourite figures and you have made it far cooler than HasTak ever did. I love it in those more serious colours!
    Thank you
    Last edited by Deonasis; 10th October 2016 at 01:11 AM.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Heh... I'm not a fan of Macross (beyond the original 80s series), so I wasn't aware that there was a character called Freya, who of course is the the Norse goddess of love/beauty. That's a pretty cool tie-in with how Macross' most famous mecha are called Valkyries, who of course also come from Norse mythology.

Nice. I tried painting a breakaway once and the parts rubbing was infuriating.