View Poll Results: Is depth charge worth it?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes he is

7 77.78%
  • nah / not interested

1 11.11%
  • wait till cheap

1 11.11%
  • land water air outerspace, all in one terrain bot :P

0 0%

Thread: Beast Wars Depth Charge

Default Beast Wars Depth Charge

Series - Beast Wars
    Sub-line - Transmetal
    Size/class - Ultra
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - Yes
    Approximate Retail Price - $80
    Approximate Size -
    Allegiance - Maximal
    Alt-mode - Manta Ray
    Main Features/Gimmicks - ?
    Main Colours - Blue
    Main Accessories - Two missiles, 8 disks, shark drone

A great figure to enjoy. Can fire 8 disks subsequently from torso and has a detachable shark drone. Again show accurate to his show character. Has three modes, bot, beast and space cruiser mode. So why didnt he just leave the planet and go back to cybertron since he could fly in space :P. That was a joke. Love the colours on this guy. Transformation is pretty simple for an ultra toy but this didnt bother me at all.

9/10

I'm also a big fan of DepthCharge. Loved his character on the series, and that made this guy a compulsory purchase for me. Looks great in both modes (one bigass stingray!) but is severly hampered by back kibble in bot mode. Thats the figure's biggest drawback (pun intended): the back kibble. So back heavy needs his beast mode tail to act as a third leg/support. And all for the sake of his chest pizza launcher. I would have preferred the designers did away with that gimmick.
    That aside, I really like this toy. Good playability, nice weapons (yay sword!) and very impressive looking. Takes up a bit of shelf space in either mode, but well worth tracking down, especially complete.
    Universe repaint colour scheme is horrible compared to the BW version too.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

I got this toy well before the character appeared on the show. I remember it well -- I'd ducked out to a Big W between lectures at uni. Then when I came back on campus I was in a queue for something (can't remember what) and while I was standing there I remember opening the box and furiously undoing the twist-ties. I like the disc-launching gimmick, it's heaps fun to play with! Yeah, it's back heavy but I don't mind it - and at least part of the stingray tail helps to support it, unlike say Apeface who's got nothing and just falls backwards. I thought the shark-gun was a bit silly, but then when I saw it being used as a remote probe in the cartoon it became a whole lot cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by klystron
    Takes up a bit of shelf space in either mode,
    That it does!
    Quote Originally Posted by klystron
    Universe repaint colour scheme is horrible compared to the BW version too.
    Absolutely. Universe Depth Charge looks like someone vomitted all over him. Spewin'.

Depth Charge is by far my favourite Beast Wars character which made his toy an absolute must.

The 3 modes complement each other nicely with no real sacrifices being made to each. As already stated his back kibble is a bit much; his wings are just far to big in my opinion for robot mode but work well in the other 2.

His colours suit the 3 modes nicely and complement each other nicely. It should be vulgar, but it's not.

Shark Drone, chest disks and lance are excellent accessories and all hide well in beast mode except for the shark drone but it still fits, like a cleaner fish that attaches to the bottom of other sea life.

Buy it

Depth Charge is okay, but by far the worst value Ultra from the entire Beast Wars line. He feels like he should be a cheaper toy than his wave-mate Rampage, and has a ridiculously simple transformation because his gimmick takes up his entire torso. I personally felt ripped off when I bought this brick back in the nineties and would only recommend it to Beast Wars completists.

Have to agree with SkyShadow that in comparison to Rampage he does feel the lesser by a far margin.

That being said I love the toy, the transformation can be fiddly getting all the stingray bits in order, but it is once again a very show accurate toy of a standout character, with plenty of gimmicks.

Worth a purchase, and lets face it, those reading these reviews are likely to be Beast Wars fans, and will probably want figures like Depth Charge no matter what we say!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Compared to Rampage he is the lesser of the 2 toys. However Rampage loses points for the arm kibble. It's more annoying then Depth Charge's wings.

Both have the same relative play value though Rampages tank mode is better then Depth Charge's Space Cruiser thingy.

However as Depth Charge on his own as a toy he is brilliant.

I got him from Verno last year, he's a decent toy and his stingray mode is really nice, but he pales next to Rampage.
    I'm going with buy if cheap.