Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW: Skeleton Warriors "Glyos Compatible" Action Figures - Kickstarter

Quote Originally Posted by twincobra View Post
    Getting keen for these, might have to buy more skeletons, the test shots look great!
    Too right they do dude! - In fact, why don't we share some details about them here?

On Wednesday of this week, George provided Update #21 (For Backers Only) to the Skeleton Warriors Kickstarter page and with it came some rather productive information & photos!

Focusing predominantly on the "Midnight" Blue Test Shot/Prototypes, which in actuality are the 2nd runs of the mold as the 1st (As seen above) were cast in a more "Cheddar-y" Yellow PVC plastic and were sent to October Toys along with the Blue by the Factory in China, one can clearly see that the new molds & sculpts are well and truly living up to the Heritage set by the original 1994 Playmates toyline.
    (The polymer colours of Test Shots/Prototypes often aren't expressly chosen, rather, the colours used are simply whatever happens to be in the machine at the time )

In the photo above, you'll notice in the Blue 2nd Test Shot (B2) the differences in the skull's shape (In profile) along with the thickness of the neck and the depth of its ball-joint's connection at the base of the skull when compared to that of the earlier Yellow 1st Test Shot (Y1).

The factory had noted these points in Y1 and, having worked with October Toys (OT) on many occasions over the past 10 years, knew exactly what George & OT were seeking in this area and made the requisite changes & modifications in B2's production - Namely, the depth of the socket in the base of the skull in Y1 was too deep and prevented the desired level of movement and was hence rectified in B2.
    (The Factory knows exactly the high levels of quality that George & OT expect and are determined to meet the very best production standards )

On the left here you can see an "Exploded View" or Parts Breakdown of the Titan Skeleton, whom shares common parts with Baron Dark and where one can see a little more clearly the (White/Blue along Spine) Glyos System pegs designed by Matt Doherty of Onell Design that will allow for one to pull apart & reconnect, as well as swap & combine, the various parts that comprise the skeletons with other Glyos compatible figures such as the Four Horseman's Power Lords figures!
    (Matt Doherty himself personally assessing each joint to ensure the very best quality Glyos System parts )

The right and middle photos give you an idea of some of the dynamic poseability that these 4" Scale OT Skeleton Warriors figures are capable of, something that is of GREAT personal interest to me as it is the sole thing that hamstrung the original '90s toyline: Playmates Toys' unhealthy penchant for pre-posing their toy's sculpts before (often) only adding a measly 5 points of articulation - NOT HERE However, no, there is a delicious 26 points on display here!

You may also notice that the Glyos Joint between the pelvis and upper femur (Thigh bone) of the middle photo appears to be almost breaching the wall of said area of the femur, with the white disc quite visible - This is exactly why Test Shots/Protos of figures are produced, so that issues like this can be identified and the requisite fixes can be applied as has been noted in this instance and will be corrected in-time for the 3rd Test Shot/Proto figure.

So there you have it, our first look at the progress being made on the new October Toys Skeleton Warriors figures - Everything is presently on schedule and looking fantastic with all who are involved with the production of the Baron & Titan Skeletons absolutely pleased with how things are coming along.

If you have any questions concerning what you've seen in this update, or about the line in general, please don't hesitate to post them here in this thread or even join the conversation over at the October Toys forum - I'll be happy to pass anything along to the relevant people at any rate.

More samples (Test Shots) are expected in a few weeks, so keep an eye out for the Kickstarter Update notifications and be sure to otherwise check back here as I'll ensure to reflect any new info that comes to light - Just this update alone has me chomping at the bit even harder in anticipation for the release of these figures in December!

The concluding info to take away from Update #21 seeks to let us know that October Toys will have these very Test Shot figures at the upcoming Designer Con (8th & 9th of November, Pasadena/California/United States) and are encouraging anyone who can attend to head to Booth 402 in order to say Hi and to Play-Test the Protos too!

Not only that, but Owners of the Skeleton Warriors IP: Goddard Film Group, will be having an adjoining Booth to October Toys - Showcasing a heap of the Original Production Art of the Skeleton Warriors brand, along with a selection of some of the Original Merchandise from the archive too!
    (I am SO incredibly jealous of those who can attend this convention! - I'll be obsessively seeking out any and all photos & videos of this event, posting them here if & when I do! )

Lastly, don't forget to:
    Last edited by Hursticon; 26th October 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Time to take a break and let me tell you of the Adventures in the dark & murky past of the Pre/Early Internet...

Skeleton Warriors as a Brand came and went prior to the Internet's big "Boom" in the mid-late 90s, as such, there was never really a central gathering place established for fans to get together and indulge in their love for the show & toyline, nor share stories, information & pics.

As a result this decentralisation gave way to the permeation of rumour, whispered at the various corners of the burgeoning internet that at some point yielded some extremely tantalising tidbits and poorly executed photography.

It was this that gave rise to the knowledge of some of the unproduced Skeleton Warriors toys that had been intended to be released in the Brand's 2nd Year (Had the Cartoon not been cancelled by CBS which resulted in the Playmates Toyline also being cancelled) as well as some poorly taken photos of a catalogue that depicted said unreleased toys.

For nigh 15 years this was all that existed for fans to drool & dream over (I know as I was one of them ) leaving many to ponder: "What Could've Been?" & "What Else Was There?"...

...until now!
    (Well, if you ignore George & Ayleen's blowing the lid off of things with the acquisition of the SW license anyway! )

On Thursday (16/10/14) I received, ALL the way from England, an eBay win of which I took a gamble on due to the fact that whilst the Seller had not included any photography - They did mention in the listing: "Skeleton Warriors"!

This "1995, Playmates Toys: Sales Rep Catalogue" is extremely special to me and a "Holy Grail" to my collection but as much as I enjoy it, I simply could not wait to share it with fellow Toy/History & Skeleton Warriors fans!

So please...

Head over to the October Toys forum thread and checkout what was once only ever intended for Playmates Toys' Sales Staff and Retailers, the pages that detail the Unreleased toys of the Skeleton Warriors Toyline!
    (In all their bright, clear & Hi-Res glory! )

...and remember, don't forget to:
    Last edited by Hursticon; 26th October 2014 at 03:37 PM.

How awesome are those skeleton horses! The green scorpion warrior my favourite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by twincobra View Post
    How awesome are those skeleton horses! The green scorpion warrior my favourite easily.
    There were definitely some amazing things that had been intended for the 2nd Year of the Playmates Toys: Skeleton Warriors line huh? - My personal favourite would have to be (Still) that full page spread of Morgor.

So whilst we're all waiting on some more news to come out regarding the October Toys: Skeleton Warriors figures...

Earlier in the week I received my 1st Re-acquisition of the original Skeleton Warriors toy line, this particular character was my favourite as a kid and remains in that position 20 years later.
    (Although Baron Dark & Dr. Cyborn are pretty damn close too! )

He's the bloke that is central to the whole Skeleton Warriors universe and wears that honour/burden as a constant reminder of his past misdeeds and future destiny...

Prince - Joshua "GRIMSKULL" Steele!

Checkout my review of this formerly MOSC badass and find out why, having owned this toy once before, this particular example I find to be disappointing, yet enjoyable.

...and remember not to forget to:

ive got the set of the originals. some of playmates best sculpts, and personally i cant wait for December/January when the new ones arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by Darthprimus View Post
    ive got the set of the originals. some of playmates best sculpts, and personally i cant wait for December/January when the new ones arrive!
    I'm right there with you dude in regards to the anticipation of December/January's October Toys: Skeleton Warrior Kickstarter releases , but also in your opinion of Playmates Toy's sculpting work on the original line.

Whilst their articulation implementation was often an afterthought, or non-thought , the sculpting of the figures by Playmates' artists were SO FAR ahead of their time in terms of a '90s Action Figure line!

I read in an interview somewhere that Todd McFarlane was actually directly inspired by the original Playmate's toyline and apparently visited the Playmates production house personally to see how they were doing what they were doing, because every other industry rep were telling him that what he wanted to do with his own McFarlane brand toylines was impossible.

So in lieu of any recent new news from OT...

The Official Skeleton Warriors website has posted 3 rather cool updates over the past fortnight or so, beginning with:

1. Promoting the Goddard Film Group's attendance at this years DesignerCon; the site's Blog has also included a pair of awesome advertising pieces from the original '90s Playmates Toys: Skeleton Warriors toyline, in the form of both a Print Ad AND an Original TV Commercial!

2. Next, we've got the announcement that Shadowland Magazine's November/December Issue will be featuring an in-depth article on the 20 year history AND future of the Skeleton Warriors brand; featuring a retrospective look at the Cartoon series and Production line, as well as interviews with the brand creator Gary Goddard, Roger Lay Jr. of the Goddard Film Group and none other than George & Ayleen Gaspar of October Toys!

This issue, which I WANT SOMETHING FIERCE! , will also feature an exclusive painted cover of The Baron himself, as rendered by Dwayne Pinkney!

3. ...Finally, we've got the superb announcement that the Goddard Film Group will be bringing the entire Original Skeleton Warriors Cartoon Series to HULU in 2015!
      (HULU is sadly UNAVAILABLE to Australians , without the use of a VPN )

Some pretty damn cool things to look forward to in the very near future; I can't wait to see the coverage of both OT's & GFG's booths at DesignerCon 2014 and to see what announcements (If any ) are made, as well as getting my hands on that Shadowland Magazine issue!

...but remember not to forget to:
    Last edited by Hursticon; 31st October 2014 at 06:25 PM.

So with DesignerCon 2014 having been and gone (November 8th & 9th) now, I've been scouring the web for any and all coverage that I could find - This has included Blogs, Websites, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube!
    I don't use or have access to Facebook, so there's a major untapped source unfortunately , but in saying that the best coverage I've been able to source was via the Official Skeleton Warriors Facebook page itself!

I'm unsure who from the Goddard Film Group uploaded this particular batch of shots and information, be it Roger Lay Jr., Eric Carnagey or Alex Towe, but it doesn't matter really as the blokes who represented the Goddard Film Group & presented the Skeleton Warriors, have given us our best look at Booth #404.

Below you'll see a host of the original Maquettes and Prototypes of the various Skeleton Warriors characters that were used for the conceptualising of the brand as well as toy development:

The booth also sported a visual display that I understand played a number of video packages of promotional material for Skeleton Warriors, both past and present, as well as Captain Power!

George also passed along whilst he was at the Con that the "Developing Creator Owned Properties with Goddard Film Group" Panel which featured Roger Lay Jr. (Executive in Charge of Production) & Eric Carnagey (Executive in Charge of Development) of the Goddard Film Group and George & Ayleen Gaspar of October Toys in which celebrated the 20th Anniversary of the Skeleton Warriors, dubbed the upcoming Glyos-Compatible figures by OT as the "Official 20th Anniversary Collectors Toyline" and also mentioned upcoming news regarding Captain Power, has indeed been recorded although at this time it is unknown exactly when that recording will make its way online for public viewing - so stay tuned for that one as you can bet that I'll be posting it here.

Here's a shot (From Left-to-Right) of Roger Lay Jr., George Gaspar (w/ Original Baron Dark Maquette) and Eric Carnagey:

...speaking of said Baron Dark Maquette, here's a nice clear shot of his Evilness!

Here's the flyer that was used by the Goddard Film Group at DesignerCon 2014, detailing what one could find at their Booth (#404):

Action Figure Insider took over 400 photos of the various Booths at DesignerCon 2014 and here's the shots they took of the Goddard Film Group display, manned (As I learnt) by Andy Towe:

...from the looks of things Andy (Xsikes on Instagram ) was enjoying his time at DCon and to say I'm jealous of him for that last photo, is an understatement!

I also came across these 2 pics by Scott Nihei, over at Kenjitron-on-Tumblr :

So there you have it, that is what I've managed to find in terms of coverage of the Skeleton Warriors' presence at DCon 2014 - It was also brought to our attention by Mindless-Focus over at the October Toys forums, however, that OT had received their 1st couple of new Test Shots (Since the previous Blue & Yellow ones) of Baron Dark & the Titan Skeleton during the weekend of the Convention and had them brought to the show to be on display :
    (I believe the "Lighter" coloured Titan Skeleton standing in the mid-ground of the shot is the new Test Shot )

...and here's another shot of that stunning Kickstarter Exclusive (10 Piece), 15" tall, Baron Dark resin statue sculpted by Owen Oertling :

I'll continue to scour the web for any little tidbit I can find, but I hope you'll find some enjoyment of the pics and info that I've managed to cobble together here anyway.

I, like I'm sure many of you, are looking forward to some more info becoming available regarding the current state of the OT: SW figures, how they went over at DesignerCon especially with attendees, as well as when the "Developing Creator Owned Properties with Goddard Film Group" Panel recording being made available to the greater public.

In the meantime however, checkout these recent YouTube videos featuring the Skeleton Warriors!

1st up, we've got Derek The Bard's "What We Watched" Review of the original CBS/Landmark Entertainment cartoon series.

Secondly, here's YouTuber "Kroner Trigger" and his review of the 1996 Neversoft Entertainment video game for the Sony Playstation (& Sega Saturn).
    (He also briefly mentions his thoughts on the brand as a whole & gives a great nod to the October Toys Kickstarter )

...and always remember to:

The latest issue (#10) of Shadowland Magazine, featuring "20 Years of the Skeleton Warriors", is NOW AVAILABLE! for $9.95(USD) from ShadowlandMagazine.com (International Shipping is Available)

Grab your copy before they're gone!

Time for another quick update!

So yesterday October Toys posted Update No.22 to the Skeleton Warriors Kickstarter, carrying some good news and some slightly less than good (But nothing bad) news.

Firstly, progress with the Titan & Baron figures continues to be smooth with the intention to have final samples available so as to be shared with us in the next couple of weeks.

Some revisions have been made to both the Baron's and Titan's shoulder joint implementation, in that the original intention was to employ Mini-Glybrid joints but with some tinkering, they've been able to utilise regular Glyos joints instead which basically means there will be greater interchangeability with other Glyos-compatible lines.

The downside to this however, is that the December delivery date has had to be pushed back to sometime in January.
    Although this may sound bad, in reality minor delays happen all the time in the production of toys and really, if it means that we'll get a superior product at the end of the day - isn't that worth waiting an extra month?

Once the final samples are in George & Ayleen's expert & capable hands, hopefully they'll swiftly get their thoughts out and some photos in the next Kickstarter update as I know I'm grinding my teeth in anticipation to get these things in-hand and will need something juicy to tide me over for another month so and no doubt you guys will be feeling much the same!

In the meantime however, I've had a couple of Skeleton Warriors related acquisitions that I intend on sharing my thoughts on in the next week sometime; Including a new (Old) figure from the original Playmates Toys line, as well as this which arrived just days ago!

...so keep an eye out for that and remember meatbags!

i don't mind waiting a extra month for quality's sake . looking forward to adding these to my collection.