Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasbro Aus and 3rd Party Figures

Default Hasbro Aus and 3rd Party Figures

Recently I sent an email to Hasbro with my concerns with a certain 3rd party figure and to my surprise they replied to me.
    It is a bit of a wall of text but thought i would share this with my fellow members.

Initial email to Hasbro :

Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎27‎ ‎February‎ ‎2015 ‎4‎:‎28‎ ‎PM
    To: custservau@hasbro.com

To Whom It May Concern,

As a long standing fan of all things transformers (I am a ‘84 model myself), I thought I would share my concerns to events that happened to me recently. As a father I share my interest with my children and they love transformers, (my 2 year old daughter can identify most transformers, to the point of correcting people)

On my daily hunt for news on all things transformers I have stumbled across what looks to be a Masterpiece Megatron, this thing is a beauty, a near perfect representation of the classic Generation 1 Megatron, however upon closer inspection it appears that it is made by a 3rd Party Company called “X-Transbots”.

Now usually I wouldn't worry about such a thing, as there are numerous companies making “masterpiece” G1 characters eg. FanToys Scoria

But on this occasion my daughter saw the picture and immediately told me that it was Megatron, it is a little difficult to try and explain to my children that this isn't Megatron but a representation of him from a company that has stolen your (Hasbro) Intellectual property which is profiting off it.

This got me thinking, how many other children out there are asking their parents for this “Megatron” without the knowledge of knowing that it is, actually not Megatron.?

What about potential Adult Collectors who are drawn to this figure from a nostalgic point of view because they grew up with g1 and purchase without knowing about the whole 3rd party side of collecting?

This got me a little upset and angry that companies could be taking advantage of your IP and profiting from such, but also that you (Hasbro) aren't protecting your characters, especially the iconic leader of the Decepticons, who has also stared in the billion dollar blockbusters.

I was hoping recently that the next masterpiece revealed by TT would be good old megs just to throw a big spanner into this companies plans for their “Megatron” but alas that was not the case.

Think of all the sales this guy is going to achieve from collectors, who would buy a genuine Megatron if one was to be released to the current MP scale but would have no need too with the purchase of this impostor. As a member on a number of Australian based fan sites the hype around this guy is massive, yet all I can feel is disappointment.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards

stuart

Reply from Hasbro :

Hi Stuart,

We share your disappointment that people are taking advantage of our IP and we should be doing more to stop them.

You may be aware that there already is a Masterpiece G1 Megatron (TT MP-05) but you are not allowed to legally own him in Australia (except in some states which may require special permissions or an imitation firearms license) - http://www.megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05.htm.

Have you seen the new Combiner Wars Leader Megatrons? A tank version is slightly better than a replica gun for sharing with children.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Regards

Hasbro Consumer Affairs
    T: 1-300-138-697 - custservau@hasbro.com
    HASBRO AUSTRALIA LIMITED: ABN: 69 004 348 565

I do wish that Hasbro would do more to protect their IP especially with their more recognisable characters, also has me thinking what if a 3P company were to do a MP Optimus ? Would hasbro still do nothing?

There is a KO mp optimus prime that's pretty much a exact copy but "better" with more paint aps etc...

Quote Originally Posted by leej84 View Post
    There is a KO mp optimus prime that's pretty much a exact copy but "better" with more paint aps etc...
    Yeah they have also done the EVA and i believe a white (magnus) one.
    I was more or less wondering if a 3P company were to produce a MP scale Optimus in the same regards as to what is happening with Megatron, what action would they take.

Im not sure it's MP so much as classics targeted but there is a 'toyworld' I think Orion.

I think the answer to this is the same speculation we have for all the other third party, independent transformers products that are unlicensed. it's too much trouble for Hasbro, etc etc.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by drahsrebu View Post
    Yeah they have also done the EVA and i believe a white (magnus) one.
    I was more or less wondering if a 3P company were to produce a MP scale Optimus in the same regards as to what is happening with Megatron, what action would they take.
    If I were Hasbro/Takara I would be more concerned with a direct copy KO imo... along with all the other KO mp12 and mp datsun cars.

the way i think about is, the other third party companies are pressuring hasbro/takara to make more and better figures, as in most cases, these third party companies are producing products that the fans really want. just my 2cents...

Quote Originally Posted by drahsrebu View Post
    Recently I sent an email to Hasbro with my concerns with a certain 3rd party figure and to my surprise they replied to me.
    It is a bit of a wall of text but thought i would share this with my fellow members.

Initial email to Hasbro :

Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎27‎ ‎February‎ ‎2015 ‎4‎:‎28‎ ‎PM
    To: custservau@hasbro.com

To Whom It May Concern,

As a long standing fan of all things transformers (I am a ‘84 model myself), I thought I would share my concerns to events that happened to me recently. As a father I share my interest with my children and they love transformers, (my 2 year old daughter can identify most transformers, to the point of correcting people)

On my daily hunt for news on all things transformers I have stumbled across what looks to be a Masterpiece Megatron, this thing is a beauty, a near perfect representation of the classic Generation 1 Megatron, however upon closer inspection it appears that it is made by a 3rd Party Company called “X-Transbots”.

Now usually I wouldn't worry about such a thing, as there are numerous companies making “masterpiece” G1 characters eg. FanToys Scoria

But on this occasion my daughter saw the picture and immediately told me that it was Megatron, it is a little difficult to try and explain to my children that this isn't Megatron but a representation of him from a company that has stolen your (Hasbro) Intellectual property which is profiting off it.

This got me thinking, how many other children out there are asking their parents for this “Megatron” without the knowledge of knowing that it is, actually not Megatron.?

What about potential Adult Collectors who are drawn to this figure from a nostalgic point of view because they grew up with g1 and purchase without knowing about the whole 3rd party side of collecting?

This got me a little upset and angry that companies could be taking advantage of your IP and profiting from such, but also that you (Hasbro) aren't protecting your characters, especially the iconic leader of the Decepticons, who has also stared in the billion dollar blockbusters.

I was hoping recently that the next masterpiece revealed by TT would be good old megs just to throw a big spanner into this companies plans for their “Megatron” but alas that was not the case.

Think of all the sales this guy is going to achieve from collectors, who would buy a genuine Megatron if one was to be released to the current MP scale but would have no need too with the purchase of this impostor. As a member on a number of Australian based fan sites the hype around this guy is massive, yet all I can feel is disappointment.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards

stuart

Reply from Hasbro :

Hi Stuart,

We share your disappointment that people are taking advantage of our IP and we should be doing more to stop them.

You may be aware that there already is a Masterpiece G1 Megatron (TT MP-05) but you are not allowed to legally own him in Australia (except in some states which may require special permissions or an imitation firearms license) - http://www.megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05.htm.

Have you seen the new Combiner Wars Leader Megatrons? A tank version is slightly better than a replica gun for sharing with children.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Regards

Hasbro Consumer Affairs
    T: 1-300-138-697 - custservau@hasbro.com
    HASBRO AUSTRALIA LIMITED: ABN: 69 004 348 565

I do wish that Hasbro would do more to protect their IP especially with their more recognisable characters, also has me thinking what if a 3P company were to do a MP Optimus ? Would hasbro still do nothing?
    Interesting. I fail to see why you feel the need to feel anything for Hasbro with regard to 3rd party products. This item (which I am NOT getting) is filling a gap in the MP line that many would be happy to have filled by is figure. I'm curious to know, who you think you are to tell them that they should be denied it? This is Hasbro's domain. If they want to police it, they will. There are far worse things in the world than toys that should occupy your anger.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I think a more accurate way of looking at 3P is not that they're stealing HasTak's IP but instead filling a niche for hardcore fans. With few exceptions, they specifically target characters that some could say are sorely in need on attention. You'll notice that there is generally very little crossover between 3P releases and HasTak stuff.

I suppose it is disappointing, I personally would prefer to buy official if possible but the fact remains is that there is such a huge market that HasTak simply cannot fill in alone. That's where the 3P guys come in.

3p aren't for children as they aren't subject to the same, if any, safety tests and standards that hasbro releases are, and may shatter dangerously, contain choking hazards, sharp pieces (i have drawn blood with releases from renderform and mmc, and i'm careful) lead paint, etc, plus, given the price point i don't think many would be bought for children to begin with, and even if they were? parental ignorance in respect to intellectual property rights is an issue hardly worthy of concern compared to the potential dangers of the toys themselves, which bodes poorly for what other, worse, parenting issues are going on.

as far as explaining it to her.. dont? she's two - if it looks like megatron, it's megatron. if she drew a picture of him would you try to tell her it wasn't megatron but just an unlicensed representation? i hope not!

Interesting to see a well informed post from Hasbro pointing out the options for current official products. I bet you were curious as to what their response was going to be? I think its a pretty good one to be honest. 3rd party products are fine in my opinion as long they are not misrepresented. There is a market out there for adult collectibles, that is really why a majority of 3p exists. For other properties as well, there is a large market of toys, models and statues, intended for adults, but not for children.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Interesting. I fail to see why you feel the need to feel anything for Hasbro with regard to 3rd party products. This item (which I am NOT getting) is filling a gap in the MP line that many would be happy to have filled by is figure. I'm curious to know, who you think you are to tell them that they should be denied it? This is Hasbro's domain. If they want to police it, they will. There are far worse things in the world than toys that should occupy your anger.
    I agree.
    I don't see any relevance to your email to Hasbro as it's taken 3P products to push them in producing what collectors want.
    Would you think they'd bother with the R&D for titan Devy had it not been for such successful sales of the ridiculously priced TFC 3P product?
    It's been to our benefit as collectors, 3P products fill the gap.
    Yes, IP theft is one thing but the bulk of them create their own designs with the some similarities but aren't KOs.
    KOs I don't support but 3P with awesome designs and thought put in with adult collectors as their core focus, I do.