Page 44 of 71 FirstFirst ... 243439404142434445464748495464 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread - comments and recommendations

For those in the SE QLD area, the Japanese MOS Burger chain is having its 43rd Birthday tomorrow, and this week they have a special meal deal that includes their
    two main burgers, for about half the price of the items bought separately.
    Their founding year compares to 1953 for Burger King and 1940 for Mcdonalds... and unfortunately they still only have 5 outlets in Australia, and they are all in Brisbane-Gold Coast.

Which ends up looking like this...
    (with a Kimchi Pork rice-burger at the back)

Their burgers are nice, but not spectacular, but I like them, and their variety of unsual burgers.
    The Cranberry tea was a bit weird though... but healthier than soft drink, so can't complain there.

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Mos Burger Post
    Ah bugger I missed this, was going to go Garden City or sunnybank last night, but decided to go to the city tonight. Have mos burger on my mind but didnt know about this. I like their gourmet wagyu cheesburger, my wife is also a fan of the rice bunned(?) burgers. But yeah, cranberry iced tea, i tried it once, not again.

But oh well since I'm alone tonight might get some korean chilli cheese chicken. There's a korean fried checken place in albert street (edit: called hosaku), another block south of timezone. The decision is always take the bike for free parking... Or take the train and hit the sujo.

I like that dish, I'm lactose intolerant but it's worth it.

I saw these new things at Woolies today, where they sell their Kangaroo meat...

A bit expensive, but something I want to eventually try, so hopefully they have them on sale at some point.
    Both Coles and Woolies have been selling Kangaroo for at least a decade, and Coles have been selling Camel burgers for about a year, so this is an
    interesting expansion of alternative meats at the major retailers.

Another couple of WTF food items I've seen and tried.

Cadbury Vegemite Chocolate.
    I saw this on the news a few weeks back and finally saw it in store last week.
    With the latest fad being "Salted Caramel" everything, this actually isn't that bizarre, but I think the thought of Vegemite and Chocolate will put people off trying it or "blind tasting" it without prejudice.
    I thought it tasted like Salted Caramel, with a bit of the familiar Vegemite taste in the background, so didn't find it repulsive... but I'm not a fan of the Salted Caramel fad or flavour, so didn't enjoy it enough to buy it again.

For something more disgusting, but just as WTF...
    First it was cheese in the crust, then it was hotdogs, then cheeseburgers... and now we have the latest Pizza Hut Crust fusion - mini meat pies.
    The mini-pies were terrible, like something you'd find as a generic brand, and needed more sauce than I had available to eat them.
    Not recommended, unless you want to be able to say that you tried something as bizarre as this.

Have you had a crack at the create a burger at Mcdonalds yet Griffin?
    It's a bit of a scam how the meal is a $4.50 upgrade, seemingly only because the chips now come in an aluminium basket (serving looks about Regular size to me).

Nah, I don't do McDonalds.
    But I think I've exhausted my ideas for creating customised burgers at HJs, with a number of cringe-worthy monstrosities.

Haha can i ask why no Macca's? One time our office accountant went on a rant about HJ's being so much better than McDonalds which struck me as quite odd, considering they're both about as bad as each other (health-wise). I said if you're gonna be a burger connoisseur what are you doing at a fast food chain in the first place

I tried the custom thing the other day but wasn't too pleased with my creation. I just wanted a simple Angus pattie with the Big Mac sauce and a few other things. But i chose the french style bun which overpowered the rest of the flavours completely

Certainly mine was tame compared to a few other people ordering burgers that would be lucky to make it to the table before tipping over!

The only advantage I see to the custom burger thing at Maccas is getting a Big Mac on a big bun. Gonna try that
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Haha can i ask why no Macca's? One time our office accountant went on a rant about HJ's being so much better than McDonalds which struck me as quite odd, considering they're both about as bad as each other (health-wise). I said if you're gonna be a burger connoisseur what are you doing at a fast food chain in the first place
    I did have a slight preference for HJs at the time, but I didn't reject one for the other.
    In mid-2000, after coming home from BotCon feeling really bad from a last meal of McDonalds just before I hopped on the plane (I "sampled" several items on their menu that we don't have here and had to drink a lot of water to deal with the thirst of all the food/bread, so after almost 20 hours sitting in one spot on 3 planes, I had really bad water retention in the lower legs that took a week to go away), so I used it as an opportunity to see just how long I could go without that particular franchise (I had HJs to fall back on if I had burger cravings)... and 15 years later I haven't been back to buy any of their food because I'm too stubborn to break the record.
    It's also a reason why I don't stuff myself before a longhaul flight anymore, and wear compression socks. The fluid retention was so bad that year that I could poke a finger into the side of my leg about half a centimetre, and the dimple would stay there like playdoh, which freaked me out enough to cut out my biggest source of junk food at the time.

Struth! They don't make 1kg steaks like they used to! I popped that like a malteaser

Next time I come back to this restaurant I'll see if they will stack one on top of the other