Awesome

I hope Anderson Silva whoops Chael Sonnen this arvo
    how's your training been dude?
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    how's your training been dude?
    Haven't trained in 2 weeks because of the flu. I'm going back tomorrow. Gotta get stuck into it if I'm going to grade to brown/white belt at the end of the year.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Haven't trained in 2 weeks because of the flu. I'm going back tomorrow. Gotta get stuck into it if I'm going to grade to brown/white belt at the end of the year.
    good good
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Got a new judo gi as my old one is a little tight. Gym will do that lol
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

I used to wear a Judogi when I did Aikido. Nice and heavy and makes you sweat like a roast pig in summer! XO

Class on Monday Night was incredibly hard. We had a week off for school holidays and normally first classback is easy. It wasn't and I'm not just saying that as I hadnt done any exercise in 2 weeks because I had the flu. It was grueling. I've always trained with the belief of work within your limits. I push myself hard but know when to ease back. Alot of people don't and we had a girl spew. I was one of only two people with sparring gear. The other was another instructor who is very tough. I can usually spar 1-2 rounds against Rob but that's when we rotate. With no rotation of sparrers I got worked over pretty hard.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Well, tonight was officially the end of my 3 month trial period at GKR.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 12th July 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Class on Monday Night was incredibly hard. We had a week off for school holidays and normally first classback is easy. It wasn't and I'm not just saying that as I hadnt done any exercise in 2 weeks because I had the flu. It was grueling. I've always trained with the belief of work within your limits. I push myself hard but know when to ease back. Alot of people don't and we had a girl spew. I was one of only two people with sparring gear. The other was another instructor who is very tough. I can usually spar 1-2 rounds against Rob but that's when we rotate. With no rotation of sparrers I got worked over pretty hard.
    glad to know you are back at it bro
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Well, tonight was officially the end of my 3 month trial period at GKR.
    so what are you doing now?
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    so what are you doing now?
    Undecided atm. My work schedule doesn't allow me to resume Yang Tai Chi training until October -- I hope. However one of my Senseis has said that s/he's happy to have be continue coming to class even if I don't ever upgrade my membership. S/he said that it's up to the GKR organisation to chase me up for that membership upgrade fee, but s/he's not going to do it for them.

So it seems my options are:
    + Look for another martial arts school
    + Continue GKR
    + Just train privately (and save my time/money - especially if the schools I'm finding aren't teaching anything of value to me)

I was kinda thinking about trying BJJ, but last week I spoke to this guy, he's a 3rd dan in traditional Okinawan Karate, and he told me that BJJ is also geared toward competition fighting rather than combative/self defensive fighting. He told me that he once had a BJJ guy come to his Dojo and put him in a headlock. He asked the BJJ guy if he had finished the lock, and he said yes. He then dropped back into a Zenkutsudachi and slammed a downward "hammer punch" into the BJJ guy's groin. And I must say that when I used to train with MMA guys who mucked around with BJJ, I encountered similar things -- like when they pinned me from on top, I could really easily just slide my hands down their front and yank their nads off if I wanted to.

But I've personally only ever done BJJ in 'mixed' martial arts schools -- I've never done it in a full proper BJJ Dojo, so I'm wondering if training in a "pure" BJJ dojo would be any better than training in say schools that teach other martial arts or MMA that happen to mix in BJJ with their training. <shrug>

Last week I spoke to a woman who was doing fundraising to send her son to Japan for a Karate championship thing, and she was telling me how her son is now coming to the realisation that his Karate club is all about making money and not about teaching people how to fight. She said that he's been to Japan before for Karate training, and it was over there when he trained in a traditional style's dojo that he realised that his school here is a McDojo. She said that the school in Japan he trained in only had one belt - black. At first I was surprised, then I stopped and thought about it... but that does actually sound really traditional! Well, not the black belt (coloured belts are no more ancient and traditional than the modern airplane or automobile ), but of course the concept of not having grades. If they start from black belt, it must mean they're starting from Shodan... which makes perfect sense since "shodan" literally means "beginner's level" and is the traditional point to begin Karate training. All the other levels preceding that have only existed since the 20th Century. It was really refreshing to hear that there are still authentic Karate schools that exist out there. Reminds me of my old Chen Tai Chi school.

But trying to find authentic martial arts schools like that in my area atm has been... challenging. My quest continues. The lady I spoke to said that she and her son have also been looking for a better Karate school, they said that they've found one that's better than the previous one he was training at - though still not as authentic as the one he trained with in Japan.

I guess the reality is that authentic martial art schools just don't make as much money as the more 'modern' martial arts schools. Even my Chen Tai Chi teacher never made that much money out of his classes - often taught out of his backyard and usually you could count the number of students who turned up on one hand. As disappointing as I've found traditional schools to be, there's no denying that they do rake in a LOT of money. But I wonder where all that money goes to. It doesn't seem to be reinvested back into the school. Because as small-scale as the Chen Tai Chi school that I went to was, our teacher did reinvest earnings back into the classes by purchasing/maintaining training equipment for students to use such as focus pads, Thai pads, protective gear, weights, kick shields, mats etc. -- and they'd all be regularly used and worn and replaced. The teacher also purchased books -- he had a private library that students could access, and some of the books had to be imported (because it's not easy to find decent literature on martial arts in Western countries). And we never had membership fees or whatever... just an annual fee to cover insurance then basic lesson fees (which became cheaper if you attended more lessons). With GKR, I've paid the trial membership fee and lesson fees; all of which are quite considerable, but I've never seen or touched any training equipment provided from the school. When sparring we actually have to purchase/bring our own protective gear from home. I haven't even seen (let alone touched) a single focus pad or kick shield etc. They don't use weights in training (as I've mentioned before, one of the Senseis argued that it's not part of Karate ). I haven't bothered to purchase a uniform or belt, but I'm assuming that that's gotta be paid out of students' own pockets too, right? Are there fees for grading? It seems that in GKR they keep asking us to pay for this and that... but where's the money going to?