Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Transformers Convention

Someone just needs to fill out the exhibitor information on the Oz Comic Con website then wait and see, I suppose. It's worth a shot.

I just figure, there's already plenty of pop culture conventions, would another really be worth it? Many people are skeptical about Oz Comic Con because they think it's unnecessary when we already have Armageddon and Supanova.

At this late of game I dare say adelaide is full since the convention is at the end of March. They usually have tables sorted out very quickly. The only problem that people were skeptical about with Oz Comic Con was the fact that they were using the Comic Con name in their own convention name.

Good point but how many anime conventions are there and there keep seeming to be more and more anime conventions poping up, so if we stayed at a small one and not have any guests but we had plenty of stalls and a madman theater, games centre and some where for them to eat we should be ok.

I highly doubt it, as the exhibitor page hasn't even been up very long or very well promoted. Many of the links on the website still say 'coming soon...' so the fact that it isn't too far away doesn't mean much. And I'm aware that people are skeptical of the use of the name, but they need to get over it since there are so many comic cons around the world that aren't associated to what we all know as THE Comic Con. A lot of people still also believe another pop culture con is unnecessary.

Yes but if you can keep up to date on their facebook page and I don't think they have many at all spaces left for Adelaide, maybe Melbourne but I doubt Adelaide.

If the spots were full then I really don't think the exhibitor section would still be allowing the form to be submitted.

Lol if you haven't been up to date with the facebook page of OZ Comic Con then you wouldn't of seen that because they have been an of their feet with everything they have not been able to up date their actual page and most of their info they are releasing is on the facebook page and not the actual page. Hell one guy said we cant get info on the boondock saint brothers and then they updated it with info on their prices and all. They have a lot of work on their hands so don't be surprised if there are other things that they have not updated on their sites.

So any possible chance of Oz formers holding a pop culture event? What do you senior members and admin think? Is this a good idea that could be done?

I think the main issue is that of cost.

It costs quite a bit to get a stall or do a standalone event. Even when the organisers do not have profit in mind (and generally the organisers are fans who are just doing it for other fans), it's difficult to break even.

So there isn't much incentive to organise an event, when fans could attend collectible fairs that serve a similar function.

Ahh but as others said the other conventions it was small numbers, if you have it opened to pop culture you get more numbers and more stalls. Look at SMASH! they do purely anime and look at their revenue, they get profit as well which gets repumped back into the convention the following year.

Options and ideas area always being considered and thrown around from time to time, but when it comes down to funding, I seemed to be the only one willing to donate the bulk of the hundreds or thousands required for our past Cons & Booths at other Cons.
    The last one I funded (in 2006) required me to sacrifice going to BotCon and max out my credit cards, which put me off for a while. Since then, we've seen an increase in conventions in this country, so perhaps the demand is growing.